Looking for good chefs knife recommendations

Looking for good chefs knife recommendations

Other urls found in this thread:

webstaurantstore.com/2835/chef-knives.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You posted it, now buy it.

I got that knife but in Santoku format. It is great except for deboning meat. I feel like I probably should get a cleaver for that. It also is not the thickest blade.

Not OP but do you guys could also give recommendations on sharpening stone ? or any other sharpening apparatus.

>>cleaver
>>deboning

My my, you are a noob, aren't you? A boning knife has a long, slender blade. It's about as far away from a cleaver as you can get.

King brand combo stone is great.

King. Or the Green Brick.

>My my, you are a noob, aren't you?

Any recommendations for knives that don't break the bank? I just moved into a furnished apt and it just has a horribly abused, bent and botched ikea chefs knife and a paring knife. Not sure if I can afford to buy a 75 euro knife right now.

All my knives are cheap, I'd like to buy one which has good quality but it doesn't cost a lot of money. 100 dollars for a knife is way out of my budget at the moment or I think so, it depends on the quality. Should I buy a sharpening stone like this guy asks for recomendations?

Get a plastic handle NSF labeled knife from a restaurant supply store. The real kind, that's poorly lit and disorganized and nothing is labeled because you know what it is when you see it. Not the kind for yuppies LARPing as hipster chefs, like pic related.

Retards will tell you to buy a Fibrox because they don't know any better. Don't listen. If you're spending Fibrox money you might as well spend $10 more and get a Tojiro or a Fujiwara.

I meant to hack through the bones.

Hacking through the bones and deboning are two entirely different things, dingus. At least try to learn the vocabulary.

Do you think this might be good enough?
webstaurantstore.com/2835/chef-knives.html

>webstaurantstore.com/2835/chef-knives.html
Not that user, but as a rule I need to hold the knife in a hand for a minute to decide if I like the handle. Sometimes, handles are just uncomfortable or slippery shit.

What knife or knives do you have?

Post a pic of your knives, maybe they can be made to perform well with a bit of sharpening. Learning to sharpen is a good idea anyway. Always have sharp knives for the rest of your life. Other than that a good knife needn't be expensive. I have the all metal 365+ IKEA chef's knife and it is pretty nice for what it is. Good geometry, thin behind the edge. Many knives costing 2x or 3x more fail at that.

>full bolster

That's going to be a bitch to sharpen.

Why?

go to a clearance store with a kitchen section, like Ross, and find something that feels good in your hands and is low cost

I paid $5 for a chef knife that has lasted me months

I also have a farberware knife from walmart and some other cheap chefs knives for using at work where I can leave them there and not care if they get abused or misplaced, and I just sharpen them every day

we have knives there that have been treated like HELL for a decade and I can still just use a cheap fukken pull-sharpener and/or honing stick and get the job done with them

I got some more expensive ones at home for the fuck of it but I honestly enjoy the one I paid $5 for just as much

also look out for this
it's not a big deal if you can have it grinded down by professionals, because as you sharpen it the knife you are taking off metal so the blade will become smaller while that bolster will not

anyways my recommendation is that you learn to use and appreciate cheap knives if you're still new, before needlessly dumping money into a new hobby because you think it's gonna make you a better cook faster

Tojiro shirogami/dp
Cck veggie cleaver
2nd hand global
These are the best bets under 100usd
Honestly the most overpriced pos I've seen for the price. I have a santoku in hap40 that I bought for less.
Green brick of joy, moo 1k/6k combo, king hyper
This aswell, 2nd hand wursties and the like can be got very very cheap

Buy like 20 kiwi knives.

Get an ulu

and a pizza cutter

>tfw moved into a house and it had some rusty cooking knives from the 1950s in drawers still.

Feelsgoodman. They aren't vg10 or anything like that obviously, probably d2 or 1095, but at least I got some good knives for free that'll last my entire life.

>1950s
They're probably good quality imported European carbon steel then.
That would be a great find, I'm jealous.

They're probably not stainless.

You have to wash and dry them immediately after use.

CutCo chef's knife or Santoku.

They are the greatest things I've ever owned.

I do, and I oil them. I own many tools that require maintenance such as axes and knives meant for wood so I'm quite autistic when it comes to maintenance. If they were stainless they wouldn't rust and as I said I found them covered in rust.