Just got up to Book 5. Can we get a discussion thread?

Just got up to Book 5. Can we get a discussion thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/19177/what-translation-of-augustines-confessions-is-the-easiest-to-read-in-english
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

couldn't keep reading after he stole the pears. unforgivable

No, that hack heathen deserves no attention after the crimes he committed against dear Pelagius.

bump

What have you learned from it so far?

Fantastic book. Affected me immensely.

Books 7 and 8 were particularly moving. His understanding of the human consciousness came across beautifully.

Book 11 was also amazing. His analysis of time was well beyond anything I had ever contemplated.

Slowly going through it now. I don't know why it still surprises me but it does when I read something this old and see that people are and we're always the same. It's comforting and it grounds you in a way that a newer book of the same type can't.

All the "o dear heavenly father" bullshit can get a little tiring, but he is quite a good philosopher, his account of time in book 11 is really solid stuff, so if people dont want to grind through the whole book, book 11 is still a must read.

Reminder that Saint Augustine was black

there's theft in this book? i was gonna read it

Book 10-12 is where the magic happens and shit gets down.

*goes

what translation

Frank Sheed.

Refer to this though for a comparison: christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/19177/what-translation-of-augustines-confessions-is-the-easiest-to-read-in-english

Can we talk about how weird and solipsistic the first book is? Especially his skepticism for infancy

Kek

he was one of the good ones

I'm currently procrastinating on my Augustine essay by listening to music and posting on Veeky Forums. 13 pages in and waiting on edits.

Solid.

What's the essay about?

lek

bump