Can one of you mighty fine people tell me how to go from the left to the right side?

Can one of you mighty fine people tell me how to go from the left to the right side?
I'm trying to get into maths in my free time, but I don't know how to do this... can someone show me the way?

It's a "1" btw, now an "I"

Other urls found in this thread:

codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php
khanacademy.org/math/algebra/polynomial-factorization/factoring-quadratics-1/v/factoring-simple-quadratic-expression
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

(1/3)+(4/2)=(4*3)+(1*2)/(2*3)=14/6

You just have to put b+1 inside the fraction
Not trying to be rude user, but this is middle school tier

How old are you? I never made it past algebra 2 in high school, started college late at 22 years old not remembering shit, and now I'm studying real analysis. There's still hope for you, if you care enough. The really neat and interesting stuff starts coming after calc 2, you just have to hang in there long enough.

There are multiple ways to verify that

1. Multiply out both sides to get two quadratic polynomials in b and then compare their coefficients to see if they're equal.

2. See if you can convert one expression to the other by factoring common terms and applying other similar tricks.

3. Check if the equality holds for any 3 distinct values of b. Two different quadratics can agree at no more than 2 values, so if the two sides are equal at 3 values, that means they're equal at all values.

add b+1 on top and expand the equation
get (b^2 + 3b + 2)/2
factorise the numerator to get RHS

Thanks for your help guys!

You weren't rude, no worries.

b(b + 1)/2 + b + 1
=(b + 1)*b/2 + (b + 1)*1
=(b + 1)(b/2 + 1)
=(b+1)(b+2)/2

[math]\frac{b(b+1)}{2}+b+1=\frac{b(b+1)}{2}+\frac{2(b+1)}{2}=\frac{b(b+1)+2(b+1)}{2}=\frac{b^2+b+2b+2}{2}=\frac{(b+2)(b+1)}{2}=\frac{(b+1)(b+2)}{2}[/math]

Goddamn, I meant:
[math]\frac{b(b+1)}{2}+b+1=\frac{b(b+1)}{2}+\frac{2(b+1)}{2}=\frac{b(b+1)+2(b+1)}{2}=\frac{(b+2)(b+1)}{2}=\frac{(b+1)(b+2)}{2}[/math]

You da real hero, mate

Hey man what are you studying and how hard was the transition? Im 22 and will probably only start uni at 23 or even 24... kind of scared

Sorry for being so dumb, but where should I paste this to get the real view?

Found it. It's Latex and I'm pretty sure i heard it somewhere
codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

nice success story. How long did the transition from brainlet to moderately attuned take?

Make the denominators the same, add together, expand out and collect like terms, factorise.

[math]\frac{b(b+1)}{2} + b + 1 = \frac{b(b+1)}{2}+\frac{2b}{2}+\frac{2}{2}
[/math]

[math]\frac{b^2 + b}{2} + \frac{2b}{2} + \frac{2}{2} = \frac{b^2+3b+2}{2}=\frac{(b+2)(b+1)}{2}[/math]

Yeah, I'm just not getting the last step.
How does b^2+3b+2 turn into (b+2)(b+1)?
I'm missing a lot of middle school maths, I know.
It's ridicoulus I actually had some higher mathematics in university, and still...

[eqn]\frac{b(b+1)}{2}+b+1 = \frac{b^2+b}{2} + \frac{2b+2}{2} = \frac{b^2+3b+2}{2} = \frac{(b+1)(b+2)}{2}[/eqn]
Hope this helps.

If you do a double-distribution for [math](b+1)(b+2)[/math], you'll see that it's equivalent to [math]b^2+3b+2[/math].
Multiply each term by each other term.
[math](b+2)(b+1) = b^2 + 1b + 2b + 2 = b^2 +
3b + 2[/math]

Look up factorising quadratics.

Khan Academy might be useful.

khanacademy.org/math/algebra/polynomial-factorization/factoring-quadratics-1/v/factoring-simple-quadratic-expression

Thanks, that actually helped a lot.
Thanks for the good tip, I'll look into it!