I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but a couple times I've been at vegan restaurants and aside of the smell of cabbage lady...

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but a couple times I've been at vegan restaurants and aside of the smell of cabbage lady farts that permeated the spaces of the restaurants, the food was just fucking delicious. It just had so many flavors, each time I was amazed. I love meat but it's pricey as fuck here and from what I've seen at those places it looked like I could make those for a budget price at home. I'm a cheap fag also so it would be really great having some know how in this area.

Could you guys post some vegan/vegetarian recipes?

Why

Vegetarian food can be amazing (vegan is a harder sell for me) - but usually only when it's made by omnivores like Ottolenghi or Kenji Lopez-Alt.

Vegetarians/vegans are just terrible cooks, because they care more about "ethics" than good food.

Dude, make your self some Confit Byaldi. Most recipes will do.

I'm not vegan either, but I eat like one most of the time. Cheap af and pretty delicious.

>the food was just fucking delicious
You seem surprised. Did you think animal products were necessary for something to be tasty?

Where veganism fails is when it tries to directly replace animal products instead of just being its own thing.

Make a spread with stuff like:

> Rice dolma
> Tabbouleh
> Hummus, baba ganoush
> Grilled pita bread and veggies
> Falafel

Those are the sort of things that are delicious regardless of whether you eat meat. Alternatively, there's Indian food. I make lentil dhal and coconut curried chickpeas pretty frequently, which are vegan.

What a bullshit assumption. Do you really think that because someone is too ethically focused that it makes them a bad cook? Personally I've noticed that vegetarian/vegan peoples are often likely to seek local foods which leads to fresher ingredients which has a huge impact on the food, but I also know omnivores who do the same and can prepare meat based dishes alongside some tasty ass veggies. I also know vegetarian/vegans who eat nothing but junk food.

It's obnoxious how any discussion behind dietary choices turns into a cluster fuck of ignorance and baseless assumptions.

Four hours of work? Fuck me.

>Do you really think that because someone is too ethically focused that it makes them a bad cook?
Yes.

My go to quick vegan meals

Bean rice guacamole burrito
Coconut curry vegetable-coconut milk and curry spice base. Add what you want from there. Serve over rice or quinoa.
Rice noodle with tofu and vegetable peanut sauce(chunky peanut butter, soy sauce, vegetable stock). Also add whatever the fuck you want.
Stir frys

Those are my really cheap quick meals I make on the regular. I am not poor though so I usually get takeout 3 times a week from the local vegan place.

Making veggie fried rice with oil instead of butter and no egg or meat is pretty tasty

It doesn't make them a bad cook, but it means their food will frequently lack the richness that animal fat provides. For example, you can make a vegan potato leek soup and it will be delicious. But put it next to one made with butter and cream and it will pale in comparison.

What? No! Just set your peppers to roast for under a half hour, deskin them, throw them in a blender with your other ingredients. Then just reduce the resultant sauce, and create your platter. Then bake the platter.

There's only like 45 minutes of work, the rest is waiting. Because while your peppers are roasting you'll prepare all of your cooking tools and slice your veggies.

Yeah. Vegetarian foods can be really tasty. I don't know why so many people shill against the food. But I feel most people would rather avoid vegetarian food because of the feeling that that's the 'other' persons kind of food and not 'my' peoples food.

Vegetarian/vegan cooks are often very focused on trying to replicate meat-dishes, and will therefore use a lot of terrible soy, tofu and margarine products.
An omnivore will only cook a vegetarian/vegan dish if it actually makes sense.

Take Dal Bhaat for example. I absolutely love it, I order it every time I'm at an Indian place. But I don't consider it a "vegetarian dish" - it's just a dish that happens to be vegetarian.

spotted the vegan asshole

>Personally I've noticed that vegetarian/vegan peoples are often likely to seek local foods which leads to fresher ingredients which has a huge impact on the food,

KEK no you haven't.

>I don't consider it a "vegetarian dish" - it's just a dish that happens to be vegetarian.
Those are the best vegetarian dishes. The problem for vegetarians in the Western world is that most familiar dishes will be meat centered, so if they want to eat familiar foods they need to come up with some kind of meat substitute. This leads to a lot of awful foods, but it doesn't automatically mean awful shit. Field Roast "sausages" are actually pretty good, even though they're vegan junk food. And Buddhist temple cooking with all of its mock duck and chicken kinda rocks as well. Sometimes it's more practical to find a way to make vegetarian versions of classic non-vegetarian dishes than to go searching for great dishes that happen to be vegetarian, even though the latter is usually the better path.

> Someone's never had mock duck made at a Chinese Buddhist restaurant

This.
For example, tofu can taste awesome, but only when you don't try to replace meat with it.

I'm not that guy and noticed the same thing. Don't be a cunt.

The problem with vegan food isn't the main components (chickpeas, eggplant, beans) it's all the connecting ingredients. You can't use an egg to hold together a patty or ball, you can't use butter to get a delicious caramelized crust on something, you can't put lard in your pie crust, instead you have to use these substitutes that aren't and you end up with a bunch of grainy matter that doesn't hold together.