What was all this about. I don't get it

What was all this about. I don't get it.

He goes to Africa, and they're savages. What's the point? What did he accomplish with this book? It's just about this dude's trip down to Africa.

Please help. This is supposed to be a masterpiece. I don't get it.

it was written by a german or whatever. what do you expect? all of those faggots are overrated hacks. not even meming. they're fucking terrible.

It's all about the interplay between darkness and light, enlightenment values colliding with the dark heart of savagery.
It's point is that the white men are absolutely terrified throughout the book that they might genuinely have something in common with these people, so it's easier to enslave them and let them starve to death than confront the fact of human Genesis in Africa.

>implying human genesis was even conceivable scientifically for them to confront

is this where the Vic2 menu screen is taken from.

it must be.

You learn how that spot of africa was that time.
African here.

journey to unknown
exploration
good characters

whatelse you want

kurtz was loosely based on my towns hero, although irl Stanley was way worse than anything kurtz did, because kurtz did nothing wrong

But I already knew that. Do books never get "demoted" from masterpiece status once they're no longer relevant?

like thats the best kind of stories for me. its real and dont include a guy acting smug and trying to impose his shit on me.
like i am tired of men trying to sell me thier ideas.they can be hypocrites
i like to see how man deals with reality with his ideas in mind.

do that happen to songs. no it doesnt, so books.

Is this book racist or staunchly anti racist?

racist ?
i think not.

Are you a woman by any chance?

its neither

ITS NOT ABOUT RACISM, COLONIALISM OR NIGGERS YOU FUCKING STUPID CUNT

Wow... really fires up the ol' neurons, really gets the juices a-flowin'

I bet you're a faggot nihilist.

And I bet you're a faggot retard CUNT who doesn't have the intelligence and male insight to understand Conrad or Melville

it describes how men could peer through their 'human' nature and see how capable we are to do 'inhuman' things, and you could see this only once in contact with niggers

It's about "evil" and Man's savage nature. The white colonizers believe the Africans are inferior savages, but Kurtz is proof that all men are savages, and our violent basic instincts kick in when we're freed from the constraints of civilization.

Exactly, it's basically Lord of the Flies for grownups

>What was all this about. I don't get it.
Poland can into Africa

What was this about. I don't get it.

but its the company that prove we are all savages

The point of Heart of Darkness is to be yourself.

What is this about? I don't get it.

As a few anons itt have noted, man's savage nature and lurking, repressed brutality is a major theme. But it is also about a theme that pervades Conrad's novels more generally: a constant feeling-out-of-place, regardless of where you are and where you go, the feeling that "you can't come home." The European men, like Kurtz and Marlowe, who went to Africa didn't see a future for themselves within European civilization, so they left. But Kurtz obviously didn't feel at home in Africa either, as he went batshit crazy and refused to return to his "beloved." Marlowe, meanwhile, is deeply alienated by what he has seen in the Congo, but this feeling does not leave him when he returns to Europe to tell Kurtz's fiance what happened to him, and he simply can't do it. He insincerely tells her what Kurtz would have been expected to say within European norms and culture, but is crushed inside by having to maintain this civilized appearance.

Agreed, nor is it an expose of "the horrors of the Belgian Congo." Conrad's audience would for the most part have already known about this. This really comes through watching Apocalypse Now, which has very little to do with racism and colonialism, but translates the themes of Heart of Darkness to film in a different context. Just as Conrad's readers were already aware of the brutality of the Congo, so were Coppola's viewers already knowledgeable about the atrocities and destruction of the Vietnam War.

this

it's just pretentious as fuck, read it for what it is (a generic short story without a particular meaning)

It has exactly the perfect amount of anti-racist sentiment, which is some but very little. The book is not about "wah the plight of the poor indigenous Africans," but it is an aspect of the book.

r u fkn rtrdd

Neither.

It's realist

this website has taken an absolute nosedive. which is astonishing, considering it was already shit.

I didn't understand this book until I read Nick Land. The philosophical depth to this book is far beyond what anyone in this thread thinks.

Conrad lived in England.

>But Kurtz obviously didn't feel at home in Africa either,
He obviously felt more at home than at home there, he wanted to stay in Africa. This casts Africans in a bad light.

He was Polish, living in England. Pretty impressive writing for a guy whose English wasn't his first language.

Colonialism did more harm than good.

Shut the fuck up you tone deaf faggot

no vic II is a fictional universe where the industrial revolution was carried by a massive demand of cheap liquor.

Just like in real life then

On the Colonizers maybe.

Apocalypse Now is better.

Yeah, those dang colonising colonialists just peacefully exploiting the native population, politely treating horribly, and raping Africa of her resources. I guess that since they're whites it's okay.

Get the fuck out you illiterate gronk cunt

*blocks your path*

The conquered have no rights. The west gave them to them anyway, out of decency and with great pain.

Jesus Christ that is some global manifest destiny you have there, /pol/.

I mean to be fair we gave them about a 4000 year head start to develop and exploit those resources for themselves.

Say what you want about not being able to domesticate the animals there, just breed it into them, for fuck's sake, you've got thousands of years to work with, have some foresight, plant the tree for the shade, and so on.