What is a polynomial function that matches the curve of the bottom of the ship in the middle? And how do i find it?

what is a polynomial function that matches the curve of the bottom of the ship in the middle? And how do i find it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Cubic_Spline_Interpolation
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm not going to sit and type out a post explaining how exactly to find the curve. This method of polynomial interpolation is specifically adapted from how naval draftsmen made curves. It's easy to write a computer program that does the interpolation for you in MATLAB or Python, or you can just rip one off someones Github so you can mess around with it.

en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Cubic_Spline_Interpolation

thanks bro

oof, I need to do it using my brain not a computer

That's defined piece-wise though. Is that what OP wanted?

no i need a function that isn't piecewise.

If you can program a computer to do it you can do it with your brian. How is this a problem?
If you're doing it by hand you're just obviously not going to compute as many terms.

I imagine you're actually a dipshit and wanted someone to just give you a function and a brainlet 3 step explanation.

Polynomial functions are continuously differentiable, none of them will have a sharp point like that

Use absolute value, nigga

Piece-wise function with two third order polynomials

No polynomial curves like that. But if we cut it in the middle then we have something that can be modeled with even third-degree polynomials. In pic related I found a kinda nice fit.

Because of the cusp the curve is not differentiable, but all polynomials are, so your function has to be either piecewise or have absolute value

>implying the "absolute value function" isn't just a convenient shorthand for a piecewise defined function

Absolute value of a cubic function

I didn't say it's not, "or" is not exclusive

[math]\|x\|=\sqrt{x^2}[/math], and every function can be defined piecewise

>absolute value
>Polynomial

how is a piecewise function not still just a function? hell, it's even continuous. Beware of over-concretizing math.

oh I see, you were just responding to something even more weirdly worded

>non-differentiable curve
>polynomial

(a+b)*(a-b)