Putting oil in the pasta water

>putting oil in the pasta water
>rinsing the pasta in cold water

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UYhKDweME3A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>he doesn't wash the starch off the pasta with soap and water before cooking

>soap
Everything else is fine but don't tell me you actually use soap.

I want it clean. plus, the natural soap oils stop it sticking together.

putting oil in the water keeps it from boiling over

>putting oil in the water keeps it from boiling over

Why would you make such an awful thread

>dumping the sauce on top of the pasta and serving it like that

Let me tell you guys about this bullshit that is Iranian spaghetti.

They basically make a legit pasta sauce, without any tomato. My mom used to put like a half of those tiny cans of paste and that's it. Everything else was legit though. Sweat the onions and garlic, brown the meat, mushrooms herbs etc, but no liquid. Add that shit to the spaghetti and serve.

One time I told my mom that she should add a can of diced tomato. Holy shit what an improvement. So much easier to eat and actually flavorful

>putting oil in the pasta water
What's wrong with that?

It just sits on top of the water and does nothing. Boiling it also changes the flavour of the oil. Best thing is to dress the pasta in good extra virgin once it's out the water

>After
But then it will stick when it's cooking?

>told oil in water keeps it from boiling over
>put pot on full heat
>walk away knowing it won't boil over
>it fucking boils over
>oil from water hits the flame and starts a grease fire
thanks mom

The original ragù alla bolognese actually uses barely any tomatoes though, so it's not actually wrong. Bolognese is supposed to be primarily a meat sauce, not a tomato sauce.

I put the oil over the pasta before the water desu

Gordon Ramsay puts oil in the water. What do you tell him to convince him to stop doing it?

youtube.com/watch?v=UYhKDweME3A

I put the pasta in a handful at a time and stir constantly, and doing this I've seen no reason to put oil in because the pasta doesn't stick together.

No idea why you wouldn't rinse it though

oh and I do this in a stockpot that's way too small for the amount of pasta I cook.. still no sticking

wooden spoon over the pot does indeed help keep from boiling over

I never got this. One or two simple stirs of the pot solves this complete non-problem

A lot of really good chefs do things completely differently. A lot of the stuff they teach in chef school is unscientific dogma

>adding pineapple to pasta

sounds good desu

i mean it's good on pizza with cheese and tomato sauce, why not pasta with cheese and tomato sauce

>Everything else is fine
none of that is fine

My dad claims to be in touch with his Italian heritage. Last time I visited my parents, I sat there and watched him make pasta. He put some of the pasta water into the marinara sauce. Then he washed off the pasta with cold water. I looked at him and asked why he was washing the starch off the pasta when he just put starchy pasta water into the sauce. He said "because that's how it's done."

Not him but I find that laundry detergent works really well in small amounts. In VERY small amounts bleach is also amazing.

>breaking spaghetti in half
>cutting your spaghetti with knife and fork

Knew a German family that did this when I came over for dinner.
What the fuck is wrong with you people?

They're German.
Nice trips btw.

Putting oil in the water is stupid. If you're going to add in anything, just add some salt.

If you're worried about unsaused pasta sticking together because starches like to do that after a while, stop draining all the water from the pot and leave the pasta filled strainer over the pot. If it still gets too sticky before you're done with it, THEN you empty the rest of the hot water over the pasta.

If pasta is sticking while it's cooking, then you're doing something so obviously wrong you're a retard for not seeing what it is. Do you not even stir it or something?

Some sauces are meant to be simply dumped on top and served. Some you're meant to get nice and hot in the pot or pan before throwing some pasta in for a minute before serving. etc. Different sauces call for different things.

what kind of sauces?

and why not just mix it all together? the customer is just going to mix it all in before eating anyway

Vodka sauce is an example of one you get nice and hit before tossing some pasta in. Marinara, whether with meat or without, is an example of one you can just dump on top.

Mixing it together just sounds like an unneeded step. If the person wants it evenly distributed they'll do it themselves, like you said. If they for some reason don't, you dun fucked up. And it makes more sense to do it with your eating utensils than to do it with the serving utensils.

Sicilians are Italian in the same way that Algerians are French

yeah, i use dawn, cold water, and one of those kitchen brush scrubbers
i lay all the strands of spaghetti on a towel, separating by 1cm or so, and go to town
rinse and repeat with the rest until it's all clean
then just microwave it all for a sec to heat it back up, add sauce, and it's perfect!

bump

Of course I stir it. When I use oil I don't have to stir so often.