Anyone else tried mamaliga? It's apparently a staple food of Russian peasants

Anyone else tried mamaliga? It's apparently a staple food of Russian peasants.

Quite possibly the blandest thing I've ever eaten.

Looks like Polenta, or Grits made from corn meal.
It is fairly bland, that's why you season it.

>Russia
>seasoning
the only seasonings available to them are vodka and yearning for a return to the soviet glory days

>breadlines were good for social cohesion

>Russian
>bland

Tell me it isn't so

That's why you mix butter, cheese, milk, or other things into it. Hell, save leftovers, slice it into wedges and fry it with bacon drippings the next day. Who eats it plain if they can avoid it?

No Russian is yearning for a return to the soviet era, retard.

tell that to putin

In the Polish language, "Mamałyga" is a slang term that's used to describe someone who doesn't know how to do anything. Someone who's very bland... It's sometimes used for food, when you cook something that doesn't have a distinct flavor, something bland, people could ask "what kind of mamałyga is this?"

It's really just polenta that's not really seasoned. A very boring dish indeed but most people wouldn't eat it plain, you'd eat it with a sauce or goulash of some kind.

Polls have consistently shown that the vast majority of them do.

Putin's success is a reflection of a desire to return to authoritarianism and stability after the chaos of the "democracy" experiment in the 1990s.

the only thing Russia is yearning for is for dipshit americans to get their heads out of their asses

my mistake, russians also clearly have access to a shitload of salt

it's romanian and "mamaliga" is the bulgarian slur for romanians.
anyway, it's pretty fucking shit unless you add cheese (let's say feta for simplicity's sake) or pork rinds.

Interesting how these people eat the same food as most Africans.

>Looks like Polenta

Came here to say exactly this. Also that there's nothing wrong with poor staple foods; at least in the US we know how to season our shit.

why come to the cooking board if you're this clueless about cuisine?

Funny. One of the first things the OP made me think of was sadza, which I had as a child in SE Africa.

I grew up in Hawaii, and though I love most of the food, I always hated poi. Then I traveled a bit and realized how shitty most cultures staple foods really are.

All staple food is bland. It's made from grain cultivated to make lots and lots of seeds, not to taste good.

Here's how you eat it, from a Romanian
Take a plate, put some real preferably salty non American cheese on the bottom. Then put some mămăligă on top, then put a generous amount sour cream on it, maybe add in some green onions or garlic water

>garlic water
ce?

>polls
>in russia
k

I don't think it's so simple. If you were once part of a hegemonic global power, feeling a bit of nostalgia is predictable. Russia's international prominence cannot match that which was held by the USSR. But to say that people really want to go back is not true.