Why the hell is jerky so expensive. i swear you cant get any decent jerky in 3rd world countries

why the hell is jerky so expensive. i swear you cant get any decent jerky in 3rd world countries.

Other urls found in this thread:

oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/Your-own-Beef-Jerky.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=T4IDl0ywnIs
foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-beef-jerky-recipe-0170068
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

meat is expensive, it gets more expensive to dehydrate and season it.

just marinade and dry it yourself, dummy

does it cost this much in other countries as well? just buying 2 packets of jack link jerky is equivalent of buying a good 250gm steak. i was wondering if i could make my own without dehydrator.

i have 0 experience in this though, any good recipe, tips for home made jerky? i dont have fancy equipment, just a good ol microwave oven.

Yes. Turn your stove on at 150-200 degrees with thinly cut pieces of meat in it and let it cook for hours and hours.

That's how I make mine.

Also visit a butcher and get cheaper bulk meat.

Jerky takes time
Time = money
Also space. Space = money as well. Because the jerky requires dehydration time a lot of space is probably needed to dehydrate a lot at once. Its a little more difficult than a basic assembly line.

Because it's like making a single pencil out of all the wood used to build a house.

I think alton brown made some with a box fan and air filters. He might have been dehydrating something else though.

But its not like that at all..

>just buying 2 packets of jack link jerky is equivalent of buying a good 250gm steak

Beef is like half water by weight you dingus
It takes 2 or 3 pounds of beef to make one pound of jerky, that 250gm steak would end up as 90gm of jerky at best.

>why the hell is jerky so expensive[?]

oh gee, I dunno...

>making venison jerky
>put 6+ pounds of marinated, thinly sliced venison steak in dehydrator for 6-8 hours
>end up with barely over 1 pound of venison jerky

Just so this person's clear, he means 150-200F.

A third worlder expressing their steak's weight in grams is likely to use Celcius normally.

It was jerky. But I'm extremely skeptical about the safety of doing it that way. You'd better be damn sure the meat is safe, high quality stuff. Leaving it at room temperature for that long is sketchy stuff.

>oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/Your-own-Beef-Jerky.pdf
I would like to point out that billtong is superior to jerky.

I can get jerky at a local butcher for 15.99 a lb. So half a pound would be 8 bucks. Two 3.5 ounce bags of Jack's costing like 5.99 each is 12 bucks or so, and you'd still only have 7 oz to my 8.

So either take the advice given here and make it. Or shop better at a minimum.

thanks, i'll give this a try over the weekend.

i could get cheaper using local beef(usually whole lot leaner, less flavorful) but i doubt it taste as good as those imported ones.

i had no idea it shrunk this much. what cut should i get for jerky?

flank

I remember that with herbs, definitely

For jerky you want a very lean cut of meat because fat doesn't dehydrate and can cause your jerky to go rancid / spoil.

i'll keep a lookout for flank but in case my local butcher runs out of it. which other lean parts? will tenderloin or topside do?

Any lean part will work. Though tenderloin would be a serious waste of money for making jerky....

Top or bottom round work well for jerky. I usually use a top round.

This, most people around here use round steak for jerky.

>gm

Wew lad who let the retarded faggots out

You're curing beef in a marinade/brine that could pickle a shoe. As long as you're not dragging the meat over someone else's asshole before dehydrating it you'll be fine, pussy

Seconding top round, it's gotten me the best results

>without dehydrator
You just need an oven that can be set to 150-250F for some 3-5 hours

It's ridiculously expensive in Asia, but they mostly grow pigs here, not cows.

>dragging the meat over someone else's asshole
>implying that that is not the best way to prepare jerky

depends on the asshole tb h

>i swear you cant get any decent jerky in 3rd world countries.
It's expensive in every country.

>i was wondering if i could make my own without dehydrator.

Yes. You are the Soda Jerk of your Jerky, user

youtube.com/watch?v=T4IDl0ywnIs

If you're super autistic you can try Alton Browns method, where he uses a box fan rig to dehydrate without cooking the beef.

foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-beef-jerky-recipe-0170068