Usual reading pile thread? Interact with others, rate, share thoughts, recommend

Usual reading pile thread? Interact with others, rate, share thoughts, recommend.

Leviathan, by Hobbes.
Democracy in America, by Tocqueville.
Metaphysics (Aristotle)
Prolegomena (Kant)

don juan is great if you just let it flow over you

>middle c by william gass
>essays by montaigne
>ulysses by joyce
>the nyrb classic of lampedusa's non-leopard writings

taking nyrb classic recs. have read several: invention of morel, stoner, amsterdam stories, bresson on the cinematograph and i think a couple more - loved all of them. joined their 'bookclub' on a discount, but it's only 1 book/month.

Democracy in America is a riot of a read, De Tocqueville's observations are fundamentally correct even now. Everything he says on the psychology of the "democratic individual" is worth considering.

My first Castaneda book, recommended by my girlfriend. Didn't know anything about it beside the general psychedelic gist of it, I wasn't expecting what looks like an anthropological analysis of Yaqui epistemology. Pleasantly surprised.

As an Italian I'm actually fairly surprised at the fact that Lampedusa's other writings were collected and translated in English, they're barely even known to exist here. Hope you enjoy them, care to talk about the nyrb book club? Didn't know such a thing existed

>Metaphysics
Why, though. I'd much rather read the Organon.

White Identiy reads like a wikipedia article. A good book but no analysis.

Anna Karenina is a mixed bag. Some characters are intriguing (Anna, Constantine, Oblonsky) but there are a lot of unnecessary monologues and characters.

Haven't started russel yet, only came today.

no particular reason really, just something to take my brains off hobbes and tocqueville.

I'd argue that Tocqueville will do that for Aristotle, but to each his own. Can't stand A's writings myself, usually, but that's just the dryness of his style

Honestly curious, how did you come to read White Identity? What's its main thesis?

>The History of Western Philosophy - Russell
why

why not?

Just finished The Setting Sun by Dazai. That was a depressing read.

because it's a hackjob polemical parading as an actual history book.

He is an entertaining read the whole way through. You just need to read it in the voice of an angry old man.

just some thing you can subscribe to, and they send you a new classic every month. it was like $80 for the year

I read it last month and loved it. I think Dazai expresses all the characters' thought processes and personalities in a really lucid way, very convincing and true-to-life.

Try to chip away at these a bit every day. Been stalling a lot with the Latin lately.

I'm not accosting you by any means so please don't take these questions in that sense, as I'm just curious: Are you saying that you enjoy reading the organon? Or are you using it as a sounding board in the sense that the metaphysics are such an unappealing read that you'd rather read the organon?

I ask because the organon has been giving me hell for a few weeks (first Aristotle I've read). It's been getting easier but my pace is very slow and I've had to turn to a few commentaries just to get my footing. The prior analytics knocked me on my ass, but posterior started to ease up; I'm not sure if it's because the latter is easier or because I read the commentaries after Prior and before Posterior, and so had a better grasp of what was going on. Just picked up some commentaries on Prior/Posterior to get grounded before moving on to Topics/Sophistical.

Any recommendations for understanding the organon or Aristotle in general? What's your background/familiarity with these subjects; did you read them for school?

Cheers!

I fell for the meme, but hey, I'll still read it

no hate but i'm a /pol/ migrant. I'm not really a race realist or whatever code word they go by now but I thought I'd give it a try just to see what all the hype is about. Jared Taylor is at least logical and not an emotional child like a lot of other race realists.

serious question, why do people still read Castaneda? It's common knowledge at this point that he made it all up

Well, I don't think about his writings as being truthful or deceitful - they are merely texts, virtualities whose actualizations take on meaning anyway.
In short, if you get something out of them I don't see why not read them. Literature is inherently fictitious and immoral, after all.

PHILOSOPHICAL EXPLANATIONS: Nozick, R.
THE HIGHEST POVERTY: Agamben, G.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING: Murkoff, H.

How did you get the discount? Looks like it is $150 for the year normally.

bump for this

Hey OP, how's the paper quality of The Border Trilogy? I love Everyman's books, but l've heard that the paper on some of their bigger books can be a bit flimsy.

how's the cynan jones
i really loved the long dry

Give it to me straight Veeky Forums am I a brainlet?

this bread inspired me to go to the used bookstore

heres what i picked up (only moments before it closed for the weekend)

2/10

3/10

4/10

10/10

5/10

1/10

A stack of NYRBs

t-t-t-hanks haha

Just got back from the bookstore

Had Marcus Aurelius and The Art of War recommended to me by a guy I met in the philosophy section, pretty excited desu

nice, how is that edition of farewell to arms?

i have that same edition of the border trilogy because it is my favorite book, it is good for keeping longterm, the paper quality is better than penguin classics but not the best out there

also
>lawrence
not
>laurence

How much did that cost you, my friend?

How's that Kojeve treating you, friendo?

OreGairu ^_^

it's my guilty pleasure :)

Nice Wittgenstein and William Carlos
+Hume
Nice de Assis
Comfy

Jelly of that Bataille
Except for Murakami and Kerouac those are fantastic

i can tell you're new and trying to make up for some insecurity

You're close there friendo. I'm not new, but insecure: yes.

This is just my current pile. All three are fantastic.

Oddly. I downloaded the english translation that you have as well as the original french one that is in the picture. The english translation seems radically shorter and excludes a good amount of the Kojève's courses and the structure of the book is very different in the english translation from the original french.

I started reading it in english and switched to the french, but now I'm a bit lost because of what I just described. Anyways, still a fascinating read.

Interesting. I did notice your copy had some extra girth to it, didn't realize it was in French though.

How is Milosz? I'm looking to expand my poetic horizons

>The Art of Unit Testing

The horror.

I'd say it's the ideal edition to have. It has all the early drafts, Hemingway's original 1948 introduction, and all the endings, plus some introductions by family members. I've given out cheap editions in the past of just the text and this time I decided to just get that one and it's definitely worth it.

>BRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Nice WCW.

Tristram Shandy is really gaining popularity here lately.