So here's the deal, Veeky Forums I want to get into cheese...

So here's the deal, Veeky Forums I want to get into cheese. Living in clapistan I know I don't have the greatest selection. But I do live in California so I'm completely without some choice. What are some good and must try flavors for a beginner? What are some proper ways to eat them, pairing and what nots.

consume at room temperature,

good with grapes, baguette, nuts, dried fruits, certain crackers

camembert, brie, goat, gruyere, bufalo mozzarella, gouda, havarti

those are some of the basics that aren't cheddar or pizza mozz that you can just get at any grocery store in USA

Pretty good calls, though I'd say brie is better hot than room temperature.

I also love a nice chevre, especially with blueberries. Pair it with a savory cheese and alternate between the two.

also try white wine with cheese

>clapistan
only thing worse than the usual Americans are self-hating Americans
>I do live in California
stopped reading there

This is a board about food and food alone. Fuck off with posting unless you're actually talking about food.

That being said, has pretty much gotten it down. Personally, I think that a good Salami goes really well with most cheeses. I eat most cheese cold, so I don't know about his advice about eating it at room temperature.

Forget it and "get into" something you can buy where you live.

Here's some food: eat shit

>tfw only import stores have camembert in Florida

nice work officer

But importing is the only way to get Camembert along with all of the ones in the first post.

This is a pretty good list.

>consume at room temperature

This is super important. Literally every cheese you buy in America will say "Refrigerate or TERRIBLE things will happen to you :^("

Do not listen, that's the FDA trying to coddle you and shield you from imaginary disease. God forbid the cheese actually develop some flavor. Leave it out and let that shit ripen.

this only applies to cheese that doesn't suck. if you're buying cheese in america chances are it never had a chance. like terrible california wine which should be served over ice with a slice of citrus fruit, most US cheese (other than a few cheeses from nothern california, the pacific northwest, and new england) should be served fridge cold.

Not all cheese in America is the orange stuff. There's plenty of cheese available here that will ripen just fine.

I wouldn't say "plenty" but there is some, and as I said, it comes from places like marin county, humboldt county, the adirondacks, and that sort of thing. and it tends to cost upwards of $35/lb

If you live in California, you have plenty of selection. California even has it's own "cheese trail" (mainly in NorCal ) where you can drive from creamery to creamery. Pretty good.

As far as what to try, there's so many options it's hard to narrow down. Do you like soft cheeses? Hard cheese? Are you fine with stinky cheeses, or tangy cheeses? There's so many great cheeses.....

>get a load of this asshole

OP didn't ask how to be a pompous idiot.

I'm really sorry for caring about cheese user

but to me "pompous" is following a rigid set of rules about how to enjoy a thing without a complete understanding of why

>ck/ I want to get into cheese.
So in order to get into putrid fat globules to need to have outright bad taste
Seeing how you brought this up on this site im left certain your taste are of dubious character

Listen to this asswipe folks just listen, the time to laugh about this is just around the corner

These posts are funnier in the context of outright flyover shitpost fests, maybe you are hoping to create one here and I'm spoiling things but eh, doesn't come across as funny when you aren't outright offending the midwest.

While I've tried all of those except goat and bufalo I appreciate the pull list, I'll definitely take the advice for pairings. I'm open to a suggestions of all types. Granted I don't want to dive straight into pungent limberger cheese I'm not against bolder flavors. Not be afraid to suggest import cheese if you know any, even my local grocery store has a decent selection of imports and a speciality storesstore are easy to find.

Something nice is to eat cheese with green salad (lettuce, arugula, corn salad...). Just the salad, some cubes/slices of cheese (it's easier with hard cheese obviously), olive oil and vinegar, maybe a bit of tomato and you're good to go.

I've done that with blu and feta the crumbles do add a lot of depth for sure. But not with just olive oil and vinegar for dressing will have to try, thanks.

I'm an absolute slut for those little containers of Parmesan rinds you can get at slightly nicer grocery store, like Central Market. They're cheap, tasty, and usually just the right size for a meal when you add fresh fruit and vegetables. I usually just go to town on some at room temperature with blackberries, red bell pepper, and a six dollar bottle of Kopke tawny port from Specs. They add brandy to the port if you get the tawny version, and this tastes nice with the cheese rinds.

The problem is that most important stores are hard to find. Grocery stores like Publix have a limited selection of fine cheeses and money grabbers like Earth Fare and Whole Foods make it unbearable on your wallet

Honestly living in USA it took me until 25 to realize the differences with cheeses. Buying actual non corn starch infused cheese costs a frtune at grocery.

At my local amish joint>? A drop in the pond

Shop local, find memes.They are always better. I went on this route -

Shredded shit cheeses + slices --->mozz on sale ---parm, gouda, feta -----amish joint GOUDA CHEDDAR BAGGED SAUCES, MOZZ, GOAT, And Im still growing.

Blue cheese + spinach salad, start with a crumbly or hard cheese first. Cant go wrong with Roquefort.
Also comte, sharp cheddar, anything aged over 6 months desu. I realize you said beginner but im just telling it like it is

Sheeps Cheese > Cow Cheese > Goat Cheese

Prove me wrong

find a good cheeseshop, theyll let you try stuff and give recs, desu cheese is too wide of a topic and names or of no use at all.
sure youll have and develop preferences, but it is mostly about what you can actually buy. dropping names of my favourite french blue cheeses and wont accomplish anything for you. all your research should rather go into where the best cheesemonger in your area is

> be me, french weeb who lived in Japan
> sometimes come back to France
> hungry for cheese
> go buy cheese
> put it in refrigerator
> take it out, eat half
> put it back
> take it out, eat other half
> 30 minutes has passed, maybe I should get more cheese
I don't understand this ripen thing, is it something classy people do ? Isn't the 'affinage' done when you buy it from a decent shop ?

>I don't understand this ripen thing, is it something classy people do ? Isn't the 'affinage' done when you buy it from a decent shop ?
In America ripe cheese is "expired" and it usually gets either thrown out or put on the discount rack far from the rest of the cheese

It's important to remember that a higher percentage of Americans believe Wisconsin makes good cheese than accept and understand evolution

For the room temperature thing, it also depends on said temperature, if you're living in a ridiculously hot place, it will fuck up your cheese quite fast.
It also depends on the type of cheese. Hard cheese won't improve by putting them outside the fridge, and they should never "perspire".

Bump.

Is it really okay to leave some cheeses out at room temperature in certain cases?
Sorry if I sound like a dumbass, I just don't want to get memed on with this

smoked cheese is best cheese dont even care what type as long as it has nice smoky flavor upfront

Just about every cheese is perfectly fine to leave at room temp for a few hours, and for many it enhances the flavor/texture. Some can be stored at room temp, but they'll all last longer in the fridge.

I know you're mostly asking about cheese tasting on its own, but burrata is a godtier cheese in Salads. Not outstanding on its own, but put it with some tomatoes or some dressing or some fruit or some chicken and it shines.

not sure about the finer points of aging but I had a block of reblochon a while ago. I finished half of it in the first week and it was damn good, not amazing though. then i forgot about for about two weeks and as I tried it again it was miles better. i'm trying the same strats now but it seems the ripening is not proceeding as well this time

Rochebaron. Cant recommend this cheese enough. Absolutely magnificent. Rich flavor, non-funky yet intense aroma, salty and slightly melts at room temperature. Have thick slices on fresh white bread with butter. Pairs well with pear jam. Give it a try if you find it - odds are you will love it.

>chev-ré

I like Kerrygold Dubliner, and some Comte. I consider those mild flavored, anyone have recommendations similar to those? I know it's pleb taste.

Also I had a piece of comte with some brownish spots on it, is that mold or just natural?

Love a bit of cheese. I normally toss some dates on there too. What are some other nice things to enjoy with cheese? I sometimes have some crackers or baguette but I'm basically anorexic so tend to avoid the carbs since they aren't filling

>gruyere
Sometimes I buy this and it is fantastic, other times it smells like shit. Are there different kinds or something?

Another Baguette here. I think it's something other countries think we do so they do it.

>Are there different kinds or something?

There are "different kinds" of every food on earth you ponce. Yes, of fucking course there are different varieties of gruyere. Freshness and storage conditions will affect it too.

Just Google how to store cheese. Soft cheeses and hard cheeses need to be stored differently. You should refrigerate them generally, but it'll change the flavor a bit and generally improve the flavor if you let come to room temp before eating. You don't have let it come to room temp though, it's still tasty at room temp.

Refrigeration will make them last a lot longer.

this was some whole foods shit, looked kinda rank

Comte has a thin brown outer layer.

Is it not something to do with Americans and using pasteurised milk?

It was on the inside..