Why read when you can just watch these great videos?

I have learned so much about philosophy watching their videos. OMG. Like, I've had so many existential crises. Camus was so weird (but totally hot!).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/p7TgtCYB3MA
youtube.com/watch?v=PEFdELEsj0U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

cuz im gay

Shittiest bait in a while.

I will kill you all to death

youtu.be/p7TgtCYB3MA
Step aside skeptics, pseuds and thots. Alain de Botton is here.

This is a meme post true but their videos did get me interested enough in Social Contract stuff with Hobbes, Rousseau and Locke to buy each of the three's works on it
It's a nice stepping stone to work off of and is a good(if really simplistic) biography of the men who write provoking works

Their standalone videos are pretty bad though

>Hobbes
>Rousseau
>Locke

Now, you can tell people about NAPs

not him but
wanna ride, li'l commie?

Sure, papi.

Did you say NAP?

TSOL is the best youtube channel

it's pretty good, they give a quick basis of stuff like philosophy, i don't get why someone would hate this

i think the problem is that most people who watch these think they know all about it and won't read any philosophical works

at least they get the basics right? i hope some got interested enough to go get a fucking book and use that knowledge to analyze their lives and surroundings

Alain de Botton is so often ragged on, especially here, but he's a actually a fairly clever, and great guy, and he genuinely seems to want to make the world a nicer and more empathetic place.

He wants to use western philosophy as a tool for making your life better, rather than just an academic exercise. I don't see the problem with this.

He's pretty great, even if quite annoying.

Hang yourself, pseud.

>most pseud response.

Except their quick rundowns in more than instance have been blatantly wrong or misguiding.

>buy our philosophical honey and our philosophical sweatshirt please!

Stop trying to shill your fucking meme page here you cuckold.
Step over and let Swole Manlet Reviews do the work
youtube.com/watch?v=PEFdELEsj0U

>not 3 minute philosophy

P L E B
L
E
B

I disagree. I'll admit I enjoy the philosophy/critique videos, but his own philosophies at lacking. They're not realistic, often fall short, and the way he attempts to put a positive spin on everything is annoying and foolish.
I appreciate he's exposing the wider public to philosophy, but his own philosophies are not very good.

Nigger, you should know a channel has its head far up it own ass when it has the name "The School of Life" - I was subscribed for four months to this channel, and a few videos have been interesting food for thought, but they seem to push some sort of agenda I cannot put my finger on. They're overall fucking sleezy and don't even bother to change the fucking narrator, where you cannot hear any vowel he pronounces.

Here's why.

Reading a book gives you tonnes of information, which your brain condenses into knowledge that you can apply to other aspects of life.

What you're doing is reading someone else's "knowledge" - it's basically a summary of shit that they've read and summarized. But it's not going to be very useful to you when you don't have the foundations to really understand it.

Take the aphorism

>He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither

You might even agree with it but unless you've read the historical background and economic arguments for this statement, it's not going to be as profound as it actually it is.

In short, if you think these videos are anything but a quick introduction to a topic, you're likely under the age of 16 mentally and not mature enough to understand the concept of knowledge.

Misleading and with an obvious agenda. But you're right, viewers like OP think they're a substitute for learning. The kind of people that enjoy Vsauce.

The narrator's voice is the most condescending thing I've ever heard. In one video he literally uses the word "nasty" (pronounced naah-stee) to describe the supposed result of capitalist markets.

He literally reads as though he reading a bed time story.

Seriously fuck this channel.

I've had exactly one (1) EC in my entire life, and I came to it through my own conclusions. I remember I was 13 when it happened, and since then I've been so easy going regarding everything from living life, to thoughts of dieing, none of it bothers me anymore. I can't possibly understand how one could get so freak themselves out so fucking hard by watching some stupid videos. If you want a good scare play a horror game or go see a movie, don't start crying once you realize everything lives in futility, its probably a school night anyway and thoughts like that will keep you from falling asleep.

Hey this is retarded and illogical but I wrote a paper that comes to a similar conclusion through apriori reasoning.

Wisdom is getting someone else to drive the car so you don't have to worry about piddling shit like the light being red.

Wisdom is knowing that to be human one must be the concious actor who drives the car, not allowing life to simply keep you on as a passenger.