What are the essential readings for 20th century philosophy ?

What are the essential readings for 20th century philosophy ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_We_May_Think
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Discipline and Punish

Everything before the 20th century

Why do academics love post modern french cucks

we didnt talk about Wittgenstein at all but these retards cant stop talking about french like Foucault

Wittgenstein
Bataille
Baudrillard

remove Baudrillard and Bataille and add Russell.

kys mang

Wittgenstein
Heidegger

Das it.

Russell is a thoroughly Victorian thinker

And it shows

No, don't do that. Don't do that at all.

>everytime someone recommends Heideggar above Husserl

Are you our resident Husserl Scholar who tells his coworkers at KFC that he spent time in jail because admitting that you're half a million dollars in student-debt and the greatest Husserl scholar alive is too embarrassing since literally no one considers Husserl relevant and you are thus unable to find employment anywhere outside of fast food chains?

Bow before your God.

The fact you think Heideggar is relevant is just a statement that you think Husserl is relevant.
Don't mistake popularity with importance

>relevant
I'm sure you think this means something.

>foucault
>postmodernist

I'm sure you do too since you're the first to use the word dingus

Isn't philosophy supposed to teach you how to live a flourishing life? Spending half a mil on a piece of paper that's too thick to wipe your ass with sounds like something an idiot would do.

Austin!

Different poster. Also, that poster was just memeing and you sort of are responding to a context that doesn't exist.

Doesn't sound like you've tried to read "certain" 20th century German philosophers; French philosophy in contrast is incredibly accessible, they don't invent new concepts or refine already existing ones, It's borderline reactionary.

Deleuze
Debord
Baudrillard
De Martino
Heidegger
Croce
Gentile
Foucault
Lyotard
Severino
Negri
Adorno
Gadamer
Bataille
Land (lol, memes xD)

This is my list, anyway

oui

Deleuze
Adorno
Baudrilliard
Foucault
Russell
Wittgenstein
Kripke
Heidegger
Sloterdijk
Artaud

These are the ones I care about

Mmm I forgot:
Benjamin
Danto
Walton
Auerbach

Important if you're into literary theory/aesthetics

Philosophical Investigations
Naming and Necessity
Analysis of Matter
Empiricism and the Philosophy of Mind
On the Plurality of Worlds
Two Dogmas of Empiricism

nothing else is worth your time

And Freud, Rawls. I should've thought before posting

t. introductory course in analytical philosophy

>On the Plurality of Worlds
literal meme tier, even by the standards of professional philosophers. it's one of the most cited works of 20th century phil just because it's so relentlessly shit on

forgot to mention Fact, Fiction, and Forecast!

the conclusion may be counter-intuitive but that's no reason not to accept it. Why shouldn't a foundation of modal logic be grounded in realism?

Just read this book instead.

>no butler, althusser, almost no benjamin
Veeky Forums is betraying its ignorance of academic philosophy

it's not my area of expertise but there are plenty of experts who reject it for various reasons

>no butler
thank fucking god

So you don't know anything about analytic philosophy but you're prepared to defer to the "plenty" of experts whose rebuttals of modal realism you also know nothing about?

I'm wid dis boi. Too much Heideggar right now.

>Why shouldn't a foundation of modal logic be grounded in realism?

Why should it?

foucault is just a nihilist

>what is a 'name'?

Next book please

>Severino
>Croce
>Gentile
none of these are major

Remove yourself from existence.

I hope you didn't mean to disparage Land by calling him a meme.

it depends on what you're interested in.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_We_May_Think

Spengler
Coomaraswamy
Guenon
Schuon
Heidegger
Evola
Schmitt
Gramsci
Adorno
Horkheimer

heidegger

We need to find this half-a-million-dolla man. And we need to meme our preeminent Husserl scholar a job.

Nietzsche, Michell Focault & Bookchin no contest.

Heidegger
Rorty
Derrida

Done.

BOOKCHIN

ARE YOU meme'ing or why aren't you mentioning Wittgensten?

this

>remove Baudrillard
no

Fuck off muh illusion muh tumblr muh hyper reality

Heidegger
Quine
Kripke
Wittgenstein
Rawls
Foucault
Sartre
Singer
Nozick
Russell
Derrida

>Isn't philosophy supposed to teach you how to live a flourishing life?
Piss off Alain de Botton

Baudrillard has ideas that are spot on but then has some that are fucking ridiculous. But when he's genuinely insightful, he is on point. That said, I don't think he is original as some people think he is. You can see a lot of what he says in the Frankfucks and the Situationists before him.

I unironically think Frankfurt School was right about nearly everything and it's funny the world didn't listen to them and now it's all shit and /pol/ thinks they tried to le destroy le western culture when they actively warned against such phenomena.

and I was just wishing for replies with that comment sorry i like shitposting way too much

Coastal detected. Real Americans don't believe in modal logic to begin with.

Not enough Austin.

Not really, I enjoy his writings. I just wanted to take preemptive action against Veeky Forums's usual kneejerk when he's mentioned

FOUCAULT

>I unironically think Frankfurt School was right about nearly everything and it's funny the world didn't listen to them and now it's all shit and /pol/ thinks they tried to le destroy le western culture when they actively warned against such phenomena.

I unironically think you're right.

I only called them the Frankfuck school as a meme. I agree that they were right. Adorno was still a no-fun-allowed fucking prick though.

He saw where it was all leading. Knowledge is suffering.

being and time
difference and repetition

pleb

do we really consider bataille's philosophy philosophy, though?

By no fun allowed, I just mean that he hated a bit too much on modern forms of music like jazz. He was pretty accurate on a number of topics though.

Elaborate

fun is shit

I was going to disagree with you but I realised you're not even wrong.

Never read a complete work of philosophy in my life. Will I understand this? It looks interesting.

>not even wrong

>they don't invent new concepts or refine already existing ones, It's borderline reactionary.

Could you please elaborate? I am seriously doubting whether it is a troll or a serious statement.

I think that the French were quite busy reinventing the 'values of values', if we for instance consider Foucault's relation to Nietzsche.

analytic autist detected

whistlespot fucked-up 20th century philosophers reading list:
husserl
heidegger
cioran
bataille
artaud
lacan's ecrits
derrida (specters of marx only)
land (pre-NRx)