Do you support independent bookstores with your patronage Veeky Forums?

Do you support independent bookstores with your patronage Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YkPn3SewEXs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nah Amazon only.

No. Everything costs more than if I just went to a Goodwill, they tend to be messy and smell weird, and the guy at the register will outright make fun of your taste and he's allowed to get away with it.

No, mostly hipster tier faggotry.

pilsen community books in chicago is where i go it is VERY good fantastic selection of books in near mint condition as well as a great selection of more vintage hardcovers in very good condition plus the owners are delightful

No, I use a combination of Project Gutenberg, my university's library, torrents, and #bookz.

amazon all day

if you count online stores, yeah. i buy paperbacks second hand as much as i can. abebooks is sweet.

Dude, thrift store beats em all.

It's true, some of the vendors on abe have brick and mortar shops, like Powell's Books in Oregon.

From a business perspective running a used bookstore is basically a death sentence, selling books online is probably a reliable way to make money though.

just got a book on TCP/IP internals from Alex Jones's partner ancap bookstore brave new books

place sells kratom and has a bitcoin ATM too

I support my parish bookstore and a couple of the local used bookstores.

i'm amehh and i'm an indeh

>African American History
>World History
>same number of books

Is this in Austin? Or is there another one

>those particular shelves represent every work that has ever been published on the subject

I absolutely do.

I'm German and there's an agreement on the fixing of book prices there. That means, a book costs the same, no matter where you buy it.
The profit bookstores make is due to the discount they bargained for with their distributor/the publishers.
Indepent bookstores aren't able to be granted large discounts, while companies like Amazon get huge discounts due to their market power.
The problem is: the more discount a bookseller is granted the less the publishers profits. Since the publishers earn less money they pay their authors less and a lot of new authors aren't published because it's too much of a risk. They pretty much only want to publish the big and well known authors or celebrities. No matter how good or bad a book actually is.
Therefore, buying your stuff in independent bookstores in Germany means, you're supporting new and unknown authors or authors who aren't able to sell a lot of copies of their books and you don't only want to read best-selling authors and celebrities who talk about their intestines and sex life.

I think I used to watch that video once a month.

I only really patronize the independent thrift stores and library book sales around me.

I usually only ever buy my books from used bookstores, except when I can't find a particular book and am forced to use Amazon. Besides, buying books from used bookstores is just so much fun. I prefer it to online shopping. It's not like you're gonna meet girls by online shopping. There's a decent amount of used bookstores in my city, and I try to patronize at all of them. I suppose used bookstores are for only a particular faction of readers who enjoy niche things.

The cashier at my local noticed me eying "Letters of James Joyce" and nodded, saying: 'yeah, it's got all the juicy ones'.
Smiling awkwardly for a bit, I left without buying anything.

Yes. There's a nice used bookstore a few minutes from my house. The selection is decent and the pricing is more than fair.

If you look closer, the African Amer- history only takes up one line of shelf. There's a few more blue separators with labels on em, user.

you did well
youtube.com/watch?v=YkPn3SewEXs

i go to half price books :3

The places around here just have John Green or romance novel shit. Rarely anything good, and even then it costs less to get them on thriftbooks.

I torrent most of the books I want to read though.

Yeah, there's a great used book/movie/music etc. store near me that has a huge selection, but the best part about it is that they're very organized. They have a system like pic related, with pieces of paper sticking out with either subjects, letters, or authors

there are like three in my city one is for rare books only first editions and the like. when i tried to go to the second one it was in the inner-city with bars on the windows and was falling apart it was a ghost town in there which at first i thought was good but they had fuck all for books, mostly dime store romance novels and the like. so i tried to go to the other books store. in the front window there was a big black lives matter on one end and on the other was a line up of feminist books. i walk in the door and there is a man with a big red beard wearing a beanie standing next to a green haired girl with a face full of shrapnel. the whole bottom floor is covered in shitty pop books and african-american queer marxist shit. i go upstairs and there are a few good books but it is still generally lacking. i end up going there usually but for the most part i got to amazon cause there is fuck all that other bookstore