“The whole educational and professional training system is a very elaborate filter...

“The whole educational and professional training system is a very elaborate filter, which just weeds out people who are too independent, and who think for themselves, and who don't know how to be submissive, and so on -- because they're dysfunctional to the institutions.”

How true is this statement?

8.5/10 for truthiness

Is that from one of his books?

Is that Gnome Chompsky?

It's fine. But it doesn't apply to you, user.

>accompanied by a tumblr image
I doubt it applies to you user, so what matter.

That's from Understanding Power, right? Yeah, I remember reading that in the library of the community college I was attending and feeling real cool. "Yeah, that's me, I'm too independent-thinking, too smart, that's why I get bad grades and go to community college, because I don't fit the mold." I was also reading a lot of Alan Watts, Krishnamurti, and Hunter S. Thompson.

Don't be me.

He is right, but not in the sense he believes.

Education teaches people to be submit, but not to capitalist hegemony, people are told to submit to the exact communist worldview that Chomsky himself believes.

I'm not trying to apply it on a personal level.

Stupid argument in order to attract people who fail into his personal ideology.

'Do you know why you have such bad grades, my child?'
'Yessir, I'm a idiot who doesn't have willpower and deeply dislikes reading books!'
'Not really. It's rather because the whole educational and professional training system is a very elaborate filter, which just weeds out people who are too independent, and who think for themselves, and who don't know how to be submissive, and so on -- because they're dysfunctional to the institutions.'
'Oh, thanks professor Chomsky! I knew I wasn't an idiot! How about I show the middle finger to this corrupt system and start burning some cars?'
'Good, my child.'

strawman

You're unbelievably naive. Chomsky isn't a communist for one. Secondly, the Communist train you bogeyman loving dudes always refer to is absolutely impotent at the universities. Education serves the market and all other aspects just tokenism.

What is Chomsky then?

Luckily, I answered for both contingencies.

Incredibly, but that's to say it's some intentional directed effect perpetrated by some nefarious agent. At worst it's the result of economic forces.

what an inane reductionist statement

are colleges serious places of learning?

obviously not

reducing communist ideas into the farce that is the education system, little more than another consumerist platitude, does not perpetuate the communist agenda, it marginalizes it -- what you're saying is like all of those Che Guevara t-shirts you see teenagers wearing are really spreading communist awareness, obviously fucking not

and Chomsky is an anarchist not a commie

An anarcho-syndicalist, come on, this is Chomsky 101.

Now it's your turn, and I've seen this before so I will give you a hint.

Your next move is either to attack his anarcho-syndicalism for being either too unrealistic, or you can take the other tack and lay into him for not personally having lead an anarcho-syndicalist revolution in the USA.

His attempts to criticise Trump is hilariously dumb

no.
no doubt that neoliberalism renders universities very suspect when a percentage of prof. can be bought and teach for moneyed favours.

there are still a lot of independent, eccentric, and fringe thinkers in the system though.

the percentage probably works out comparable to the wider society.

it's no different from any other workplace. some are there for money and career goals , others for the passion, and a few because there is no where else for them to go.

>Gnome "If I have to read something more than once it doesn't mean anything and it's gibberish" Chumpsky talking about how institutions destroy independence and thinking-for-oneself

Wow, the bait really has gotten Staun around here.

Read into critical pedagogy, you fucking idiot. Even capitalist liberals think most children are being left out. We shouldn't be teaching via age groups, "ability", etc. We should allocate them as 'those who work well in groups', 'those who learn alone', 'interest in x subject' and so on.

Noam went to a Deweyite school when he was a kid, and didn't realise he was a "good student" comparatively until he went to a normal high school. He's talking about that. It relates to our capitalist liberal model.

It's a half-truth, yes it filters out these people. But that's just a small minority of the people who get filtered out, most of them are retards and mentally ill people. The free thinkers fall through cracks too because the system only cares about usefulness.

It seems moronic to take a random sentence out of a thesis or question, and then respond to it as if it were the question or question desu

What are we meant to get from this exactly? That caring about issues, or reading a select number of authors means that you are somehow less mature than, say, someone who puts there all into making money or believing in God?

Literally what did you mean by this?

The system tends to reward conformism, yes.