Hey let's make this character look smart with a cheap exposition shot of reading a hard book!

>Hey let's make this character look smart with a cheap exposition shot of reading a hard book!
>What book, maestro?
>Why, Ulysses, of course! The hardest book of them all!

This is literature in pop culture.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9XKN0iZG_4s
youtube.com/watch?v=Sd_qV7zpHu8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, they probably wanted her to be reading Ulysses, but the prop department messed up. That's Stuart Gilbert's study of Ulysses, not the novel.

How do I get a qt Veeky Forums daughter like Rory?

>Yeah, I really like Ulysses, Dublin seems like an interesting place.
>"Dublin? Ulysses?"
>"Why would Homer write about Dublin?"

>marilynmonroeintightsfinishingulysses

>oh no! I hope more people don't start liking what I like, otherwise I'll stop being a special snowflake!

What, would you prefer the show advertised YA pulp?

Rory reads a lot of books in the series. I mean you can hate because they namedrop a lot of books, but it isn't like they just show her reading Ulysses once and then forget about it

It's the same hack expositional trick in every instance.

>implying anyone watching this show would pick up a book

They already put more effort into their props than they needed to

Yes. At least then the pulp would align with the pulp show and make her character believable.

except it really isn't. Gilmore Girls is famous as one of the most allusional TV shows ever, the dialogue is literally full of them referencing music, movies, etc. Props doing the same thing is not that bad. There's even a Buzzfeed tier "Rory Gilmore Reading List" of all the books she read in her life, if some normies read real lit as a result that is not bad at all.

Hahaha, I thought this thread was about lit acculturation not literally wanting Gilmore Girls to be a better show!

This whole thread can fuck off then.

Normies would pick up something like Ulysses or Moby Dick, read one paragraph and drop it.

Look at the book again fags. It's the schema for Ulysses by Stuart Gilbert.

I.e., homework from her top tier private school, the most pivotal aspect of the show.

Stop posting this. It's bordering on pedophilia.

Exactly, why watch Gilmore Girls when you can read a book?

Why do anything when you can do something else?

Why do anything when you can do nothing?

why do nothing when you can do anything?

Why do anything when you can do something?

Allusions used for their own sake is a hack tactic. If the allusions were important to the themes or plot then they would actually make the work better.

But it's a good show

They actually do use allusions well. As far as I know. For my own part, I haven't watched the show, but one of my favorite bands is mentioned on the show and I heard about their allusions from that. The scene is one of the characters wanting to date a close friend, and they use the analogy of two of the band members dating and making worse music after they broke up.

People are a *little* elitist on this board

It tells you something about her as a character.

This thread is full of retards who can only conceive of cultural references as winks/Easter eggs to the viewer rather than elements that reveal character.

wtf I hate pop culture now.

Haven't watched enough Gilmore Girls to comment, but I love the way literature is used in Mad Men. It's employed very subtly, never discussed by any of the characters, but every so often we see a character (usually Don) reading a relatively contemporary novel, the relevance of which is alluded to in the broader schema of the series. I also like it because it as an ethnographic detail of a time when people genuinely read more for entertainment, simply for lack of other alternatives.

Are you forgetting when he recites that poem?

youtube.com/watch?v=9XKN0iZG_4s

Yeah what would you have her hold a copy of Infinite meme?

I don't even know what the hell show you faggots are even talking about in this thread?

I'm kind of curious, but I also think it's probably pretty patrish not to know what this show is. Don't tell me. I'm going to minimize this thread and see if I can cash my patrish points in in real life somewhere down the line. Hehe and when they tell me I'm gonna drop the old, "oh, I don't own a tv line on them," despite watching all types of shit on my computer.

Mwahahah, it should be a crime to be this patrician

yes I did, and also when the granddad makes Sally read aloud from The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

but for the most part it is subtly incorporated

I noticed how professor x was reading Ulysses in Logan, it shows up on his bedside table

you watch Gilmore Girls for the sick music references, retards

Get a daria, Rory is just a slut.

>Rory
Don't you mean...Roastie?

I feel like Gilmore Girls is the wrong show to demonstrate your point.

Both Lorelai and Rory (and numerous supporting characters) reference tons of books over the course of the show, and Rory is shown reading books in most episodes. And the references usually go beyond the title and refer to the content of the book or the life of the author.

There are, of course, numerous other references as well: music, celebrity culture, movies, musical theatre, and television shows.

See this supercut of the references from the first season: youtube.com/watch?v=Sd_qV7zpHu8

wtf are you two on about??
what hath transpired?
i must know

Ulysses is not difficult.

>Roastie
???

Why do you do something when anything can?

is it a ninties show or two thousands, ive seen it referenced on booktube

>ive seen it referenced on booktube

early 2000s I think. It starts with her in high school and ends with her working on Obama's first campaign and each season is a year

Ulysses isn't hard, it's just dense and time-consuming.

This. Gilmore Girls is unironically pretty good and nails youth's fascination with pop-culture (books for Rory; rock music for that Korean girl).

It was honestly smart and light-hearted. Not overly complex but better than most TV shows because it put characters and their relations at the fore. I stopped watched when Rory went to college but from what I remember it rarely attempted to take itself too seriously unlike a lot of the more 'acclaimed shows' which skirt with surface level topics and genre cliches (i.e. Mr Robot).

Lmao

Rory is the only interesting part of the show.

the show is divided into
-Rory the whore who thinks that she is pure
-the liberated whore mother who is fucked by god only knows how many men (women do not like to be called whores, if this were entourage, they be could whores)
-the rest of the WASP town

Rory has 3 boyfriends (all betas of course)
-Dean the beta: devoted, (therefore) boring, taking shit up to a level unknown to men, always here to support the whore Rory materially and emotionally
(this guy do not fuck her for years)
this is the safe man, that every woman dream of
-Some manlet: mysterious, dangerous, unpredictable, HURTING
this is the exciting man that each woman dream of, from which she accepts to be hurt but not too much
-logan, the combination of the two: the rich beta devoted to her, but not to much since he still can get other girls, still unpredictable and doing things at the last minute, impulsive but always safe for Rory the whore. The wealth from logan allows a completely diversity of leisure while being so safe, so that Rory the whore falls in love with the beta.
He is drama but not hurting as much as the manlet...
This boy is the only boy that Rory loves in the show.
This boy gives Rory a life in her liberal fantasy of becoming a journalist.

The manlet fucked Rory in her prime IRL.

Dude Moby Dick is one of the most famous books in the world. Veeky Forums is not a subversive cult for the obscure and exclusive lmao everyone has read that shit

Normies don't actually like Moby Dick

This is the board that thinks they invented liking Thomas Pynchon.

I guarantee you don't know people IRL who read shit like that who aren't literature students.

Veeky Forums poster visiting Ireland on Bloomsday: Holy smokes, the memes have hit the mainstream. Hey dude, farty keks, amirite? Wew.

My mother reads every day and she loves that show. (never got it tho)

Me, I'm a STEM major :^)

That's more about demonstrating that the character (Kinsey, I think?) is a pretentious dweeb. Many of the characters on Mad Men are wannabe writers, creative types who can't really make it in the literary world and so turn their talents to making money. This is one of the show's central themes, and you can see this aspect of the show is really about the televsion writers' room rather than advertising agencies. There're a number of allusions basically similar to the OP but slightly more subtle; one that sticks out in my mind is, in the middle of a B plot exploring the changing position of a housewife, a husband is seen reading TCoL49. It's never commented upon in the show, it's just there.

Ah, you've bested me.