Why is Japanese food so fucking good?

Why is Japanese food so fucking good?

A food culture based on a foundation of great ingredients

Why didn't you open with an image of Japanese food?

the image of the pagoda alone brings up images of miso, mirin, and dashi

Japanese food has been folded more than 1000 times
Much superior to other medieval food

Umeboshi fucking sucks, but okonomiyaki is good shit.

>bland food general

nip building ar rook same

>Why is Japanese food so fucking good?
Why is smoked eel so much like burnt innertube?

Japanese religious aesthetics imo

>Japanese aesthetics

>art from 300 years ago can represent a country in the 21st century
lmao

This basically sums up what my argument is.
But aside from just aesthetics, religion in japan obviously played a far more direct role in shaping japanese cuisine due to bans on the kinds of animal that they could eat.
I'd like to say that taoism influenced japanese cuisine as well.

Grorious.

I like Japanese food because of how it is presented and approached. Shit just looks pretty more easily, and I think theres a stronger emphasis on balance, a bit more than other cuisine.

Things seem like they are supposed to be reflected on and appreciated one at a time; I like that everything has a separate dish and theres often a palate cleanser around. It's a really relaxing and different way to eat. Obviously they have junk or meme food n shit too, but I mean in general.

It is definitely subtle, which can boarder or fall into bland, I agree. I think thats why the focus on balance is so important - to achieve subtlety, maintain aspects of the ingredients natural flavor, and make it come together in a synergistic way. Also lots of umami

Because you're a weeaboo.

Overrated thanks to weeaboos.

>uses the word weaboo like they aren't on a weaboo website for weaboos

japanese food is very bland actually

umeboshi makes plain rice much much better you pleb.

also this stuff with hotmustard is amazing, even if it was introduced portuguese cuisine. all the tonkatsu ive had here in the states is dry crap. in japan, they prepare it right.

forgot pic

Purity and balance ideals from culture/religion work their way into the food and vice versa.

Honestly it's the same dumb answer that TV chefs always give when asked about great food - simple, fresh ingredients speak for themselves.

Yes i do believe that is the point user was making

>using artwork from 300 years ago to try and justify being superior to somebody else

I know, right?
Especially when you only have to go back a few decades to prove it.

>spergs with blownout taste buds from mountain dew and flamin hot Cheetos.

You mongs have either never eaten ACTUAL Japanese food, or have the pallet development of a 6 year old.
Get fucked. Nip food is best food.

What food bans are there?

japense food is all the same flavor.

>miso
>mirin
>vinegar
>soy sauce
>sake
>maybe mitsuba

There arent any currently, as far as I know. I could be about some of the following, but in medieval Japan Buddhism and Shintoism promoted plant based diets. There might have been some more reasons, and I dont know if this applied to wild game or seafood, but they had explicit restrictions as early as the 600s. It was only until westernization in the mid 1800s that they began eating meat regularly.

I'd add dashi to that list, that shits in everything. I hear this said a lot on here, but dont all cuisines have major staple ingredients? Like Italian with tomato, basil, cheese n stuff for example?

wow a heron made of glorious nippon(italian) fish folded a mirrion times!

Refinement. Same reason French food is so good. Historically both countries had a noble class obsessed with aesthetics, and thus a class of people who devoted their lives to preparing elaborate meals for them. A couple of centuries of that is all it takes for a more general sense of aesthetic refinement to become part of the national identity.

It's "palate", brotein. Otherwise I agree.

>food taboos

Before the Meiji Restoration in the late 19th century, resulting in the barborous west's insidious infiltration into Japanese culture, the Burakumin (eta) were responsible for butchering, tanning and processing meat. They were viewed to be on the same level as the lice ridden barbarians from the west.