Why do people see Ignatius as this deep, intellectual, whom society has scorned...

Why do people see Ignatius as this deep, intellectual, whom society has scorned? He is just an asshole with a superiority complex, and a hypocrite too as he goes on his days pointing flaws on other people, but he is a fat, unemployed, lazy and incompetent 30 years old who victimizes himself in any chance he has to do so. So, explain me what is to be admired in a man like this?

i bet you think don quixote is an idiot

find a new hobby, literature isn't for you

I bet you are a loser like Ignatius, thats why you like him

I didn't see the appeal behind confederacy of dunces, i mean, sure, it was funny to laugh at the autist that masturbates to memories of his dog, but eventually it felt like i was watching a slide reel of caricature drawings from a pier.

don quixote WAS an idiot though.

>Why do people see Ignatius as this deep, intellectual, whom society has scorned?
What people? Is this some sort of copypasta?

honestly, I am just reading it because I expect something very bad to happen to Ignatius.

you may be disappointed.

confederacy of dunces seems to me a cry for help and love from within the shell of an autist to me. it was suggested to me for being hilarious, but i couldn't get that out of it unfortunately, i guess people just identify with his inability to adjust with the world he was born into.

you won't get it unless you're from New Orleans and interact with Ignatiuses and Mrs. Reillys on a regular basis. You definitely don't see as many of them nowadays because a lot of the "old New Orleans" tropes in the book are dying off due to globalism and all the milennials and transplants that live here now, but they still exist.

The book is lampooning one of these people by giving you their "deep" insights while allowing you to point and laugh at them

>Why do people see Ignatius as this deep, intellectual, whom society has scorned?
Who does? Screw you faggots who find ways to feel above the curve by spouting commonly held opinions.

Nobody does other than Ignatius...

It isn't funny, it isn't intellectual or anything valuable. Not a single character in that book is likable or valuable in any perspective, probably the worst book I have ever read. What a pile of garbage

Nobody thinks that, OP

There are such people?

uh, they dont? he's supposed to be an asshole with a superiority complex. it's a black comedy with an unlikable protagonist. what you've pointed out in your post is exactly where the humor of the novel derives from...am i being trolled, or something?

>its shit because i dont like the characters!
the true mark of a psued

Well don quixote is an idiot in the way that prince myshkin is

Who holds this opinion?
He's a fat lazy slob, that's the joke.

> Why do people see Ignatius as this deep, intellectual, whom society has scorned

Of all the people (surprisingly few) who have read this book, literally who thinks of him this way?

He's a 20th century parody of the underground man

No, that's the mark of a pleb. A psued will say the opposite (It's great *because* the characters are unlikable).

he is just as enlightened as everyone else, but we laugh at him because he is more obviously stupid than others. the joke is that we are as retarded as he is, we just hide it better

Not quite, for all practical purposes he's a genius. See it like this: imagine the whole world around is an illusion created by a genie in a cartesian fashion. However, behaving like this world is as you picture it lets you attain your goals and your happiness, such as being a famous author or something. Quixote is essentially in this situation.

Ignatius represents the educated fool. He is probably more well-read than you and more articulate, but he doesn't comprehend the literature past making references and behaves in opposition to all of the traditionalist values that he believes that he stands for

The idea behind Ignatius, is that he from a very young age was a brilliant man, and of strong ideals to. In the beginning, he was never so bad; at his Catholic school, he was praised by the nuns because of his brilliance. He never was not sloth or rude during his youth. Maryann Minkoff in her first letter explains what went wrong with him. Ignatius is an intellectual who can not cope failure, If he should ever be met by failure he finds an excuse to cover it up(because,apparently, an intellectual is not suppose to fail) the bus ride is used as an example of the nocient. I believe, that in his life he has come across much failure and never came to terms with it. All these untreated failures have gathered over time, and hardened Ignatius into what he is in the book.

I while reading this book always found humor in the fact that Ignatius is an asshole with a superiority complex. Never found him to be a deep intellectual who has been scorned by society. More of an overread lazy neet

This is going on my top 5 worst serious post on lit.

I dont understand the faggots who dont see the value in this book. I feel like they are the sort don quixote and then give up at pg250 because >hur dur its repetitive
> i guess people just identify with his inability to adjust with the world he was born into.
You said they recommended it for being hilarious, so why do you think that they identified with Ignatius fuckwipe?