He reads book that were translated

>he reads book that were translated
do you also watch foreign movies that are dubbed by foreign voice actors?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5Tuztv3KEiE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Everything is translated if you think about it. The way you perceive words in your native language is a form of translation.

Subtitles are still translations. So I guess you have no way out but to learn the language of every single movie you want to watch.

>do you also watch foreign movies that are dubbed by foreign voice actors?
of course

That's not a good comparison.

Dubbed movies would be like poems translated in prose.

Imagine if nobody throughout human history ever read a translated book.

Subtitles are translations, but at least you are hearing the original voice. I mean, voice is such a big part of acting, and with dubbing you are throwing all that away and listening to the voice of someone who (in the best case) only had the goal of lip-syncing correctly.

It is fine only if you are watching the movie for the special effects or the plot alone.

And if you are really interested in the cinema of a particular country then why not, learn that language. It takes 1-2 years of minimal daily effort if you do it in a smart way, and then you can switch to a second language while you use the next 2 years to explore the cinema of the first one, and so on.

>It takes 1-2 years of minimal daily effort if you do it in a smart way
t. somebody who has clearly never learned a language that isn't very close to his native one

If you don't know Latin or Ancient Greek and don't have the time or money to learn them then getting a translation is your ony remaining option.

>do you also watch foreign movies that are dubbed by foreign voice actors?
If you don't watch dubbed Kung Fu movies you're missing out.

I have. The only catch is that I focused all my energies on passive comprehension (first on reading, than once I could read literature comfortably I started developing listening skills).

Also, it's a skill that improves. If you start with easier languages and progress to more difficult ones once you have got good strategies and know how to learn efficiently, you can keep the time about constant.

Not true.

I liked you whys tho.

>Tell me again how you only read the works of the two to three countries whose languages you can fully comprehend.

>Tell me again how you're confined to the academic works of one country.

>Tell me again how you're either a hypocrite, an ignoramus, or both.

i also use arabic numerals

if you only read authors whose language you speak, you will have an impoverished taste

translations are not the original works, but they are not without worth. you can read a great many incredibly worthwhile thing from languages other than your own, as translated by talented and imaginative authors who speak your own language, and be the richer for it.

DELET THIS

yes

>since the invention of language every idea that has every been thought in the had to be translated into language

ur scaring me Veeky Forums

what would thoughts sound like if you never met another human mmm wow.

The older the book, the poorer the translation gets. Imagine all the subtleties we miss in Shakespeare because we didn't grow up speaking english in his era?

I mean, think of how much the way you talk is influenced by your present culture? Think of how much even recent things, like the internet has affected the way we talk, the way we joke. This creates a growing barrier between us and even fellow english speakers of a few decades ago.

Even when we're talking to our grandparents, there are subtleties and jokes they won't understand because they grew up with a different english language. And books written by my grandparent's generation would be considered relatively recent books--the Catcher in the Rye, for example, is a relatively recent book, set in a fairly similar world to ours. With older books, we miss so much, it's obscene.

bump

>learn a language in 1-2 years of minimal effort

Teach me your secrets.

>He doesn't watch Top Gear with a Russian dub to achieve full melancholy.

youtu.be/5Tuztv3KEiE

>my mom says i am very smart

>not learning Greek and Latin since young age

We do need to embed the Classical Education system into public schooling. That would, among many other things, help with preserving western values.

> help with preserving western values.

There are ways to say this without sounding like a nationalistic faggot.

Like," understand the original ideals of democracy," that sort of thing.

Just a tip, friendo.

Of course that would include things like reading and translating the classics from ancient Greece and ancient Rome. Cicero's works would be an example. Works such as that would go far in teaching western values.

>nationalistic

How about describing what you mean by "nationalistic" and arguing why you think it is a always a bad thing, instead faintly using it like an ad hominenm?

>he reads shakespeare
>he thinks he has what it to takes to understand elizabethan English as a Shakespeare contemporary
>mfw

Better a translation than not at all. I'm not going to have the time to learn every significant literary language in my life. I'm not going to stick with English lit exclusively until I master German, then stick with German and English exclusively until I learn Latin, and so on. Maybe I'll die younger than I expect, maybe I only have 3 or 5 years left, beggars of time can't be choosers.

Not reading things in translations absolutely blows my mind

I guess we may as well never read any Aristotle???

Medieval Italian monks who studied philosophy all day solely in Italian and Latin translations knew far more than many people today who can read the originals

This.

I only read translations of Germanic and Romantic works, and only with the original text preserved verso.

It's not like these languages are inscrutable to an English speaker. Bruder, welt, mein gott -- howsoever shall I parse this cryptic, alien tongue!

Dubs are like audiobooks. I only use them for the breeziest of things. Even for something as silly as Azumanga Daioh I'll still use subtitles.

Polyglotism is the refuge of the dilatant.When one divides oneself between languages they diminish the capacity of each in accord to the others.

When they've muddied up their minds enough with enough competing languages, they forget the innate sense of sprachgefühl inherited with their mother tongue. They become linguistic nomads, speaking short and brutish things to people they barely see.