Hey Literatos, I've been wondering what you think about comedians

Hey Literatos, I've been wondering what you think about comedians.

Honestly I dont read enough, so most of the ideas I get come from movies, music, and stand up comedians. Specially Carlin,CK and Hicks just to name a few. So my thoughts are very influenced by these guys.

My question is, do you consider that comedians are like philosophers for lazy people?
Are the words of these just the simple and digest version of another philosophies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-3j-yE49gvM
youtube.com/watch?v=cbr21lgOmC0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The good comedians are provocateurs. The bad ones use comedy to forward their political beliefs onto less smart people.

Some people consider Rand a philosopher so it doesn't surprise me that reddit comedians would be considered one too.

Carlin triggers Veeky Forums because he was anarchist/liberal, even though he was genuinely funny and a genius observational comedian. Also cause he is super mainstream or something. Also an atheist, don't mention atheism or you will trigger the pseudo-christ cucks.

I like Carlin, he has some good quotes.

Carlin is a hack who was destroyed by Rick Moranis.

youtube.com/watch?v=-3j-yE49gvM

George Carlin is the only 'comedian' I really enjoy and I think of him more as a social critic making use of a comedic format than a comedian.

Pff, only Bill Hicks is second to Carlin.

Everyone has a personal philosophy, comedians present theirs in an entertaining way. Their outlooks are often a half baked version of a popular philosophical movement or a contrived facsimile.

You have to admit though, some 'comedians' are magicians of the anecdotes, translating difficult ideas to the common is not an easy task.

It also robs an idea of nuance and meaning when it's distilled to an applause line. A witty quip about a philosophy is fine between a teacher and student, but to base the totality or even just the core of one's beliefs on watered down ribaldry that, at best, poses an interesting point of view is not to truly self examine.

No concept is diminished when correctly communicated. Comedians are like teachers to their audience, they are just more fun than most academicians.

*some comedians

>Hey Literatos, I've been wondering what you think about comedians.

>Honestly I dont read enough, so most of the ideas I get come from movies, music, and stand up comedians. Specially Carlin,CK and Hicks just to name a few. So my thoughts are very influenced by these guys.

>No concept is diminished when correctly communicated. Comedians are like teachers to their audience, they are just more fun than most academicians.
This is one of the most retarded things I've read all night.

>Now what? Now where are we? We're here at you interrupting me again, you fucking idiot. That's you. You see, we are here at the same point again where you, the fucking peon masses, can once again ruin anyone who tries to do anything because you don't know how to do it on your own! That's where we're fucking at! Once again the useless wastes of fucking flesh that have ruined everything good in this goddamn world! That's where we're at. HITLER HAD THE RIGHT IDEA! HE WAS JUST AN UNDERACHIEVER! KILL 'EM ALL, ADOLF! ALL OF 'EM! JEW, MEXICAN, AMERICAN, WHITE, KILL 'EM ALL! START OVER! THE EXPERIMENT DIDN'T WORK! RAIN 40 DAYS, please fucking rain to wash these turds off my fucking life! Wash these human wastes of flesh and bone off this planet! I PRAY TO YOU, GOD, TO KILL THESE FUCKING PEOPLE!

What did he mean by this?

standup is the lowest form of comedy

even lower than quoting memes with your friends over teamspeak

yeah, I didn't necessarily agree with everything Carlin said in his act, but that doesn't mean he didn't make some astute observations and valid points.

Haters gonna hate, but Carlin was arguably the best observational comedian we've ever had.

No. Wrong.

Puns, and mockery of special needs people is far worse.

>doesn't learn anything about people or society when watching quality standup

Autist detected

>My question is, do you consider that comedians are like philosophers for lazy people?
the good ones, yes.
everyone should watch Dylan Moran
youtube.com/watch?v=cbr21lgOmC0

It is kind of worrying that people take comedians as authorities and use their bits as basis for their own beliefs.

The things a comedian says on stage are supposed to be comedic/artistic and don't necessarily actually represent his opinions (though it usually does anyway). "It is just a joke" and "I am playing a character on stage" are the usual responses from comedians to criticism.

As artistic expressions, these jokes are exempt from the usual scrutiny of debate and refutation that a normal public statement would receive. Statements that cause an emotional reaction such as laughter also have a deeper impact and might be perceived as more reasonable than they would normally.

So all in all I think comedians can indeed be powerful propagandists.

not rly funny blud

You don't know what learning is.

>Hey Literatos, I've been wondering what you think about comedians.

They're the smartest dumb people, lr rather a magnification of them.
Carlin is the smartest dumb old grump, Bill Hicks is the smartest dumb, Chomskian, psychedelic enthusiast undergrad, Bill Burr is the smartet dumb average joe in Boston, Patrice O neil is the smartest dumb ghetto womanizer, and so on.