Is there an essential Scandinavian literature chart like this one?

Is there an essential Scandinavian literature chart like this one?

Other urls found in this thread:

antikvaari.fi/haku.asp?Currentpage=1&nimi=&aika=0&tekija=Snellman J.V.&myyja=0&tryhma=0&kieli=kaikki&stype=full
finlandiakirja.fi/fi/thiodolf-rein-juhana-vilhelm-snellman-1-2-79748.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4 Quran
I guess not, maybe we should make one in this thread

Also, what is that book "Multatuli"? In finnish multatuli would mean "Earthfire" or "Moldfire"

sticky wiki has pages for norway and denmark

The book is actually called Max Havelaar. Multatuli is the author. It's a satire/critique on Dutch colonialism. Earthfire sounds way cooler though.

Selma lagerlöf is pretty popular here, then we of course have Karl Ove Knausgård...

Oh, cool. It could also mean in slang "I came" due to the double meanings of both of the words "multa" (earth/mold, from me) and "tuli" (fire, came)

But I can only find Norway from that sticky, I think we should do a scandinavia Veeky Forums picture
Do we count Iceland in or is it just Denmark/Sweden/Norway?

It's not part of it geographically but they speak a scandinavian language so I guess you could go either way.

Scandinavia = the mountains that run through Sweden & Norway.

Not quite, its the Scandinavian peninsula. So the forrest regions east of the mountains are also Scandinavia

They speak a Nordic language, the sapmi are also Scandinavian and their language is all kinds of fucked up.

No, they are called Scandes
The Scandinavian countries are located on the Scandinavian peninsula, which was named after Skåne, nowadays southern Sweden
But the term is much older than the modern borders, and as such even though nowadays Denmark isn't on the Scandinavian peninsula and Finland has come to exist in the north of the peninsula, Finland is not considered a Scandinavian country while Denmark is, due to the many times that Denmark has held control over areas on the peninsula, most notably the area of Skåne.
pleb

>Sweden

August Strindberg (essential)
Hjalmar Söderberg
Pär Lagerkvist
Harry Martinson
Frans G. Bengtsson
Torgny Lindgren

Selma Lagerlöf is overrated garbage.

>Norway

Henrik Ibsen (essential)
Knut Hamsum (essential)
Tor Ulven
Jens Bjorneboe
Karl-Ove Knausgård

>Denmark

Soren Kierkegaard (essential)
H. C. Andersen

Only ones I could think of.

>Iceland

Prose/Poetic Edda and other Icelandic sagas.

>Finland

Not Scandinavia lmao fuck outta here.

Reminder that Finland has a stronger army than Norway and Sweden combined.

What I mean to say, please show some politeness in your behavior lest you want to be conquered.

Can you give some individual books? I know only Strindberg out of the Swedes
Anyone know more Danish authors?

pls älä vie lankaa väärään suuntaan, ota bäntti bänttinä

Im literally shaking in my seat. Perkele.

>that guy who doesn't pull his pants all the way down
zero fraternity detected

Oletko lukenut J.V. Snellmannin Valitut Teokset 1-4 ja jos et ole niin miksi et

suosittelen, on muuten helvetin hyvät setit.

Jesus fucking Christ, shut the fuck up.

>ja jos et ole niin miksi et
On aika perkeleen kalliita kun törmäsin niihin antikvariaatissa, kirjastosta en ole tajunnut kattoa
Ja Snellmannihan kirjoitti ruotsiksi, toimiiko se samalla tavalla suomeksi? Esim. miten det Allmänna on käsitteenä käännetty?

Every American of Scandinavian descent should read The Emigrants by Vilhelm Moberg

Halvalle ne lähtee: antikvaari.fi/haku.asp?Currentpage=1&nimi=&aika=0&tekija=Snellman J.V.&myyja=0&tryhma=0&kieli=kaikki&stype=full

>Miten käännetty.
Loistavasti ja suoraan sanottuna sairaan hyvät setit. Suosittelen myös Reinin kirjoittamaa elämänkertaa, tosi hyvä: finlandiakirja.fi/fi/thiodolf-rein-juhana-vilhelm-snellman-1-2-79748.html

onko goodreadsii family

>Norway

Tarjei Vesaas

Are all Dutch novels boring WW2 narritives, or just nearly all?

I only heard for Cees Nootboom.

Elämänkerta näyttää kieltämättä houkuttelevalta, tiiän goodreadsin ainoastaan litin ylyl-lankojen kautta
Tään langan projekti ei näytä oikein etenevän, tehäänkö Finnish Veeky Forumserature infograafi?

what about Undset?

Vähän paskoi ne kun ei mitään ole käännetty oikein englanniksi joten ois aika turha sinänsä jos tarkoituksena tutustuttaa ulkomaalaisia suomalaiseen kirjallsuuteen..

tästä vielä semmoset että tsekkaa Kyösti Wilkunaa, tosi hyvä lyhyt tarinoiden rupattelija joka käsittelee keskiajan Suomea ja sen ajan uskomuksia.

No Stig Dagerman? for shame

De Avonden is translated into English, should be corrected in the chart.

Is Dutch literature misrepresented in world literature? I often think about how sad it is that Reve and Hermans never really hit it big. GOAT writers, sadly mostly unknown outside NL.

Reve actually tried to make it in England and wrote exclusively in English for some years. Hilarious letters in questionable English.

Nader tot U and Op weg naar het einde should be translated, these are his best works.

Reve is unmatched in his writing style. Truly unique.

Norwegian Wood lol

I`d appreciate a chart similar but for Spain if anyone has one.

>ei mitään ole käännetty oikein englanniksi
mm, pitäisi saada ulkomaisia julkaisijoita rahoittamaan suomalaisen kirjallisuuden kääntämistä

>Can you give some individual books?

Here's some essential Swedish lit, can't be bothered for the other countries.

Strindberg - Miss Julie
Strindberg - A Dream Play
Strindberg - The Red Room

Söderberg - Doctor Glas
Söderberg - The Serious Game

Lagerkvist - The Dwarf
Lagerkvist - Barabbas
Lagerkvist - The Sibyl

Martinson - Aniara

Bengtsson - The Long Ships

Lindgren - The Way of a Serpent

Dagerman - A Burnt Child

Lots of other good authors and poetry that will never ever be translated into English so I won't even bother mentioning them.

Multatuli is Latin.

Translate it yourself you horrible pleb.

>Anyone know more Danish authors?

I know a bunch, not sure if they're translated.

Johannes V. Jensen (noble prize winner) - The Fall of the King and The Long Journey are his most know works, probably the only one's translated into English.

Henrik Pontoppidan - Lucky-Per in particular is the best coming of age novel I've ever read

Karen Blixen/Isak Dinesen - Memeingway said she deserved the nobel prize over him, I'm inclined to agree.

Tom Kristensen - Havoc seems to be the spiritual sibling of Sartre's Nausea - they're very similar, but Havoc has more madness and was released eight years prior to Nausea. I do not think it has been translated, which surprised me, since Havoc and Nausea are so similar, and Sartre was know for being a plagiarizing troglodyte

But the very best is Kierkegaard, no doubt about it.