Go to class

>Go to class
>Don't understand anything
>Read the book
>Suddenly everything makes sense
Do you guys share this feeling?

it depends what learning style you have really. I am similar to you, in that i usually need to actually read information before i understand it, auditory stuff just is in and out, even more visual lectures as well, i have to read to fully understand something

same. Hate when lectures are mandatory. I'd rather be given a section of the textbook to read and then be tested on it.

yep, for me it's not as much as the lectures are pointless, it's just reading something ingrains it in my memory so much more substantially then hearing it. Im sure the environment has a lot to do with it too, lectures are full of distractions, reading at a desk not so much

You learn by studying and solving problems. Class is just for showing off and taking exams.

That's why I skip lectures. Obviously I can learn things more efficiently when I can read the book on my own pace, taking more time on details that I have a hard time understanding.

Yes, far too many distractions. For example, I'd say 40% of my logic class today was spent in class discussion, where students failed to understand simple distinctions in degree of analogy, and why this would effect the conclusion of an inductive argument (the chapters on induction always cause chaos). Seriously a waste of time. I'd expect as I grow older, and as classes become more constricted with respect to proficiency, this won't be as much of an issue, however I still prefer reading the material rather than discussing in class.

this post just screams "look at how smart i am!"
logic class lel

Yeah sure, my entire life basically. I even wonder why classes exist at all.

everytime I have a prof who literally cant speak english, so 30% of the time at least

How do you guys deal with this. I always want to skip lecture just to read because sitting there in class I drift off so hard.

I always pussy out in case there's something they do that isn't in the book. I mean what are you going to do, email them and say lecture sucks could you give me the theorem that wasn't in the text.

>tfw opposite of that
Am I... Am I stupid?

Depends on the lecturer and textbook. I've had good professors with shitty textbooks and shitty professors with good textbooks. I focus on whatever one is best for me with the class. The only issue is the rare occasion when you get a shitty professor and a shitty textbook.

>doesn't realize the lecture was helpful and the two combined together is what makes you understand

Power of passive learning my dude. Making the effort to listen to something you don't understand makes it much easier to digest when you try and learn it the second time.

Read lecture before class. Understand lecture 100%. Do other shit in class(problems pertaining to the lecture) when topic you never seen comes up start paying attention

>Go to class
>Don't understand anything
>Read the book
>Still don't understand anything
>Spam practice problems
>Feel like everything makes sense but still don't understand anything

maybe I should just end it now

This user is the only guy sane in all this thread, if you read a book and then listen to someone talk about it, you will learn more.
If you reverse this, hear a speech then read the book, you will learn more.

The best thing is having a combination of both, you read something, then discuss with people, this will make sure your brain record all the things it need properly

you guys are lucky I can't understan any thing that I didn't found by my self

I know this problem all too well... I had not one but TWO aspergers diagnosed professors (women: one for american history and one for calcalus two) who went fully off-the-cuff lecture-wise (absolutely no powerpoint, no lecture notes, no syllabus, barely touched a textbook, which the history prof described as "boring", and she insisted that our attraction to history( like her own) stem from an interest in clothes and le weapons), and expected us to retain the material. As a bonus, their grading can only be described as Kafkaesque... (participation being 10 percent of the grade in calc) with absolutely zero rhyme or reason. The dream of simply inputting correct answers, and the output of a good grade was out of the picture.

i just want a fucking textbook to read.

you aren't happy with professors putting in the effort so you'd escape the robotic curriculum and grading scheme for once

Those classes are good to have a little fun and with and retain about half of the material. Calculus two was bearable because all the concepts came together, but history was simply barrages of "le fun facts"... Which would not bother me greatly IF the professor did not expect a clear, informed, and straightforward understanding of the material. I guess you may have to see it for yourself

Absolutely.

But, I find if I do the readings ahead of time, lectures are kinda decent at further solidifying that knowledge.

>want to learn how to use gem5
>wish there was a class I could go to and be spoonfed the information in lectures and homework assignments
>wish a professor would give me a syllabus telling me what order to learn things in, what to ignore and what to prioritize
>have to learn it myself from books & online tutorials instead
it's funny how much undergrads don't appreciate what the fuck they get

>read book
>cant solve problem
>rely on solutipn manual entire time

i'm a mid-tier brainlet, but i typically try to read the book before going to lecture. it makes the little comments / specific things stick better that way when the prof says them. if i'm still struggling with something, i'll read again, but usually i can head straight into problems and start working through stuff after 1 read through and 1 lecture

>'diffy q'