Crispy pork belly

How do I make the skin crispy without broiler? Just put it on the top rack in the oven near the heating element?
Those youtube videos all show different stuff. Boil it first for a bit or straight in the oven? Whole layer salt on top then remove later or just a little bit of salt?

Give me your recipes for the best pork belly.

Other urls found in this thread:

xiachufang.com/recipe/106787/
youtube.com/watch?v=psNGoGb8ykw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

God I'm so lonely would you fuck me in the ass user if I made you pork belly and let me be your slave I'd suck your cock real good.

well no that's not what this thread is about

xiachufang.com/recipe/106787/

Come on man

柴火

>tfw permanent torn asshole from attempting to fist my pork hole
I really wish someone could braise it off for me if you know what I mean

That pork belly looks slow roasted and then pressed, then re-roasted. Yum

I put it through google translate, it doesn't use vinegar on the skin only salt+baking soda?

Sigh let me translate that manually for you since I have nothing better to do

Ingredients:

Marbled pork with skin on - 1 piece approx. 900g

salt - 2 teaspoons

sugar - 1 teaspoon

five-spice powder - 1 teaspoon

cooking wine - 2 teaspoons

light soy sauce - 2 large spoons

baking soda - 1 teaspoon

1 stick of spring onion

2 slices of ginger

hoisin sauce - amount as needed

1. Wash the pork. Then cook pork in cold water, spring onion and ginger until medium-well. Make sure there's no blood coming out if you poke it with chopsticks.

2. Immediate take out the pork and wash with cold water. Remove any hairs/membrane etc.

3. Poke some holes on the skin

4. Season the skin with 1 teaspoon of salt over approx. 20mins

>

5. Apply baking soda

6. Mix salt, five-spice powder, soy sauce, sugar and cooking wine in a bowl

7. Make some cuts into the lean side and apply some marinade. (optional) Attach skewer

8. Leave the lean side soaked in the remaining marinade over 2 hours

9. Coat the sides and bottom (but not skin) of the pork. preheat oven to 480F/250C, roast for 40 mins.

>9. Coat the sides and bottom (but not skin) of the pork. preheat oven to 480F/250C, roast for 40 mins.

Shit I meant wrap sides and bottom in aluminum foil for this one.

10. After the skin becomes golden, discard foil and remove any charred/burnt parts.

11. Brush some cooking oil on the skin

12. Put back into oven for 20-30 mins under 400F/200C, or until oil starts oozing out from the skin. Serve cold and sliced with hoisin sauce dip.

Tips:

1. You must use pork cut with skin on, preferably pork belly. Lean part can't be too thick. When you are cooking the meat in cold water you want the meat to moisturize. However if you cook for too long the skin will curl up. (the author cooked over medium heat for 8 mins)

2. Crispy skin only forms when you poke a lot of holes on the skin. Baking soda further assists in this regard.

3. Use skewers to secure the lean part to prevent misshapen meat during roasting.

I followed MPW's crackling method and it turned out pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=psNGoGb8ykw

thank you user

Slice off crackling, place under high temperature grill towards end of cooking.

That crackling looks shit. The middle is gonna be soft, leathery and chewy

It wasn't, not sure why you think that

The main thing I've found is getting it really dry, poking holes helps get the bubbly effect.

The full layer of salt thing is kinda fool proof because it guarantees the skin is going to be bone dry, just make sure you use enough that it becomes a thick crust that's easy to remove.

I ate a large portion of pork belly once, with a large portion of fries and bread. I weighed myself the day after and I was ~5lbs heavier. Any skinny person wanting to put on lots of weight should eat lots of pork belly and carbs together.

water weight from the salt

Nah it was a plate full of homemade fries, 600kcal from bread, fried eggs and like 1.5lbs of pork belly.

>get pork belly from Whole Foods because it's closest to friend's house and I'm cooking there
>all they have is frozen
>get it thawed and unwrap it
>it's got thin slivers of meat and is 99% fat
Apparently the hype was misplaced. Never buying pork belly there again.

Thats pretty good deal user. You should take it.

i made this pic in case anybody wants to save this easily

This looks delicious and interesting. Can anyone recommend a good place for me while I'm San Francisco for the week?

Work in a small business.

Ask me anything nerds.

Fuck why is this shit always sideways. Anyway here's the oven.

the Slanted Door

Why don't you just shallow fry it in a pan after you've boiled and dry cured it?