Carnism: Why Eating Animals Is a Social Justice Issue

A meat eater is affectionate toward one species but eats another and has no idea why. Before being asked to reflect on their behaviors, neither of these individuals thought there was anything odd about the way they relate to the animals that become their food, and after such reflection their awareness quickly “wore off.” So the meat cutter kept the unpleasant reality of his job at bay and continued to process animals, while the meat eater suppressed his mental paradox and continued to eat them.

What is perhaps most extraordinary about the sentiments above is that to most of us—including those of us who are committed to critically examining our beliefs and behaviors, and the impact of our choices on others—they are not extraordinary. All of us who are born into a dominant, meat-eating culture have inherited this paradoxical mentality: We know the animals we eat are individuals, yet we’d rather not know it. We’d feel guilty eating certain animals, yet we take pleasure consuming others. We cringe when faced with images of animals suffering, yet we dine on their bodies multiple times a day. We love dogs and eat pigs and yet we don’t know why.

/2

It is essential that those of us who espouse progressive values and thus support social justice initiatives recognize the paradoxical mentality of meat. Because although this mentality is pervasive, it is not inherent in our species—it is the product of an oppressive ideology so entrenched that it is invisible, its tenets appearing to be universal truths rather than ideologically driven assumptions. This ideology shapes and is shaped by the same type of mentality that enables other oppressions, and it is therefore essential to address if we hope to create a more just social order. Eating animals is not simply a matter of personal ethics; it is the inevitable end result of a deeply entrenched, oppressive ism. Eating animals is a social justice issue.

Is this a tumblr raid or something? I go with tumblr because of how bad you are at it.

I can use a thesaurus, the post. If your argument is that we put up arbitrary barriers between pet animals and food animals, turning one group onto objects rather than beings just say that. Your fucking two post bullshit is just masturbating yourself.

I would bet it's b8, but there is only one way to find out.

You do know that Hitler was a vegeterian?

Fuck it...I'm off to get a couple junior McChicken's...

Veeky Forums is the better place for this kind of shitposting...

FUCK OFF CARNIST

K...I'm back...eating my junior McChickens...

Kys

this is a typical /pol/ false flag.
The accompanying thread is here

Holy shit fuck off. Your epic raid backfired. Dont bring pol into this as your little scapegoat. Own up to youe faggotry, faggot

And here's the OP of both threads.

Me

Even though we all know that this was /pol/, we should consider allowing more vegan threads without harrassment from meat eaters. This is a common sense middle ground regardless

This. We can't let pol turn is against vegans. We need to show them up by making this board more vegan. Dont let them manipulate you. Veganism is legit.

Why can't gook mook give ID's to all boards, samefagging is cancer.

> Vegans trying their hardest to look like douchebags & annoy all normal people

If OP is actually a vegan, then he needs to fuck himself in the ass cause all this is doing is turning the world off to veganism.

If OP is actually false flagging... great job.

You've managed to make vegans even less popular in the world

piss off autist, nobody likes you or your faggy religion

fuck off vegan niggers

by abolishing meat consumption you would stop all these animals from living. Without the meat industry all these animals you want to save wouldn't even be born

This would be a good argument if animals had better lives in factory farms. I think when lab-grown meat is available, people will start eating that instead and we'll have smaller farms/more interest in zoos and while the quantity of animals might go down their quality of life will greatly increase.

>If OP is actually a vegan, then he needs to fuck himself in the ass cause all this is doing is turning the world off to veganism.

Let the vegans keep shitposting. The more garbage vegans post, the more normal people are turned off to veganism and their ideology.

Tell that to the Donner party. Bet you'd do the same thing.