What's the most based philosophy to live one's life by?

What's the most based philosophy to live one's life by?

Stoicism.

Whichever one you devise yourself.

Deny yourself the fear of change desu.

Stoicism

let me put it this way. when i play an elder scrolls game, which havent been as good since morrowind on pc, i dont choose one of the classes that *they* put together for all the gamers without any creativity. i make my own class. i customize the game. i make it mine. i choose the attributes and i give it a name, and i become the class i want to be, not what they shove down your throat. so if you're trying to become a platonist, or a stoic, or an existentialist, or a nihilist, you're basically choosing a premade class in an rpg, when oyu should be making up your own. thats why i dont read philosophers. i am a philosopher. i make up my own philosophy. i write my own books and read them. they're good. i go for walks and think about my own problems and work them out philosophically. that's what i do. im a real gamer, and im gaming life. because life is a game. don't be a luh luh luh ... loser.

Damn straight.

No point in reading the works of past and present philosophers, since they'll only build a frame in which your original thoughts will be corrupted.

The same way a degree in art is meaningless since beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is an evolving concept,
taking on a prefabricated view of the world and life itself is an organ ready to be rejected.

Just make your own.

anti natilism
n
t
i

n
a
t
i
l
i
s
m

>i dont read philosophers. i am a philosopher. make up my own philosophy. i write my own books and read them. they're good.

i bet they are

HAHAHAHAHAH

>No point in reading the works of past and present philosophers, since they'll only build a frame in which your original thoughts will be corrupted.

Rarely have I read such a blatant rationalization for wanting to remain a lazy, illiterate dunce

Alright, granted.
Let me rephrase:

No point in taking any of the existing philosophies as subject of vocation.
Some people tend to read works of philosophy as a Bible, while they shouldn't blindly adopt anything with such a profound effect on the perception of life.

Personally, I don't so much as dabble in it.
I might find something I agree with, and start to lose a healthy dose of skepticism regarding other theories.

Life is what it is, not what you say it is. The moments that will require more of you, emotionally, intelectually, morally, are the ones that escape your vision at the time, the accidents and surprises you didn't see coming and the points that will make you fail and deal with this failure. Sometimes when you are looking way too much into a way of thinking that can help you through life you also become dependent of it, you want it to work at all circumstances, and when you stumble upon its breaking point, it can be very frustrating.

Philosophy is not countable. There is no one or two or three philosophies. Philosophy is a never ending exercise, something you can do and something you can continue to do even when you are completely lost, which is perhaps when it is most needed. It's not something that predates you and to which you respond, it's not your foundation. It is an invention, the bringing up of names that are useful and that help you understand the world, but nevertheless an invention.

How hard it is to live life as it is, that we must feel we need to live it "by" something else. As we face new things everyday, there is no one to provide us with certainty, no advice that is definitive, no choice that is without loss. Maybe that's what makes it so attractive to find guidelines to live life by, even if these lines invented, but at least you can count on them to measure all things, in science, religion, philosophy or art. And how hard it is to admit, that your parents didn't taught you everything (or knew everything), that there is no rule book to the world, that all certainty is made up, that science, philosophy, religion and art are not enough, are never enough. No thought or feeing will ever suffice the metamorphosis to which we are subjects, the everchanging experiences of life. There is no better position to learn about life than the one in which we accept and deal with this hole in the middle of our thinking, without looking away or pretending we have found what is not there to be find.

Meh, I read M. Aurelius and enjoyed it enough to try other Stoic philosophers. I read both Seneca and Epictetus and I realized it was basically a more pretentious Christianity. No thanks

Whatever it is called what Socrates vouched for in the Apology.

Adherence to objective list theory on intrinsic value
Belief in Walton's categories and Danto's theory of the artworld
Belief in the nature of Spinoza's affectations
Practical implementation of virtue-ethics
Recognizing the history of societal constructions (but not being obnoxious about it) a la Foucault
Belief in Fichte's abstraction of experience
Belief in the theory behind the forms but not their metaphysical existence
Belief in a desert-adjusted value of a world

low iq lol

>realized it was basically a more pretentious Christianity.
The bible is a masochistic fanfic of stoicism.

Kant

Homerian-Sloterdijkian-neo-Aristotelianism

I've only read God's Zeal, it was breddy gud. What next?

A doctor wont be able to perform surgery if he has no knowledge on human body, if he does the patients life is at risk.

Not everyone can fly a plane , not everyone can steer a ship. It requires knowledge which can be acquired only through reading and practical skills.

What are neo-Aristotleanism and neo-Platonism?

do they differ from just liking Plato/Aristotle in 2017?

This pasta is good pasta right here, very pastosa pasta.

No, no, they're reformations of their philosophies. Plotinus was a Neo-Platonist. If you 'like plato in 2017' you're just a Platonist

Are we seriously going to pretend like any answer other than epicureanism is acceptable?

>DUDE I WANNA BE STOIC LMAO
Grow the fuck up

>materialist
wow nej tack...

“Wisdom cannot be imparted. Wisdom that a wise man attempts to impart always sounds like foolishness to someone else ... Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it"

>epicuckus

OH SHIT WADDUP SENPAI CHRISTIAN EXISTENTIALISM COMIN THRU J. PETERSON STYLE WADDUP

>believing in ghosts

>not believing in spirits and daemons because you fell for the "science" meme

what's with all the hate stoicism is getting on Veeky Forums lately?

I'd say absurdism.

I don't know but Gnosticism is the best one to die by.

Tell me about Gnosticism

it sounds boscure and spooky

Pyhrronian Scepticism x Stoicism x Rational Egoism

Contrarianism

Schadenfreude is my life.

Ever had gnocchi? Imagine that being your entire life.

how the fuck do you combine stoicism and pyrrhonism? stoicism involves cognitive commitments

Remove those bits :^)

occhi (/ˈnjɒki, ˈnɒ-, ˈnoʊ-, ˈnɔː-/[1][2][3] N(Y)OK-ee or NOH-kee, NAW-kee; Italian: [ˈɲɔkki], singular gnocco) are various thick, soft dough dumplings that may be made from semolina,[4] ordinary wheat flour,[5] egg,[6] cheese,[7] potato,[8] breadcrumbs,[9] cornmeal,[10] or similar ingredients,[11][12][13] with or without flavourings of herbs, vegetables, cocoa, or prunes.[10]

...what

Too dumb to post here, m8

Reality exists as an objective absolute—facts are facts, independent of man’s feelings, wishes, hopes or fears.
Reason (the faculty which identifies and integrates the material provided by man’s senses) is man’s only means of perceiving reality, his only source of knowledge, his only guide to action, and his basic means of survival.
Man—every man—is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life.
The ideal political-economic system is laissez-faire capitalism. It is a system where men deal with one another, not as victims and executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange to mutual benefit. It is a system where no man may obtain any values from others by resorting to physical force, and no man may initiate the use of physical force against others. The government acts only as a policeman that protects man’s rights; it uses physical force only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use, such as criminals or foreign invaders. In a system of full capitalism, there should be (but, historically, has not yet been) a complete separation of state and economics, in the same way and for the same reasons as the separation of state and church."

>The ideal political-economic system is laissez-faire capitalism.

lmao read a fucking book

>he fell for the randian meme

>The ideal political-economic system is laissez-faire capitalism. It is a system where men deal with one another, not as victims and executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange to mutual benefit.
Hot opinions you Kantian fuck

You mean neo-Hayekian?

>Man—every man—is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life.
Based on Kantian principle brother

Nice.

I win

Gayest thing I've read today. Excellent.

I'm sorry I have low IQ and I have trouble connecting ideas and concepts across writers.

I really am below 100 iq fuck

What have (You) done to overcome man today?

>picking ideologies like candies in a store
How about thinking for yourself and developing principles from experience and knowledge?

absurdist christian cynicism
natalism*
that other post wasn't that funny until you fucking took him seriously
bls give me one example of a philosophical principle that you (1) agree with, (2) developed yourself, and (3) developed originally

Why should I share my entirely personal set of beliefs which could only make sense if taken in conjunction with decades of experiencing life, study and self-reflection with you? What end would that achieve? Sure, I could pull a Kant for you and invent a spicy new terminology that you won't be able decipher, but it will be equally as useless as reading Kant

>I really am below 100 iq fuck
85 IQ here. It's not easy reading twenty pages an hour.
We'll get by, user. Just remember our brother, Brother Gump.

If people don't agree with you, hurt them.

>stoicism
Disgusting

whatever one one concludes to be best

The best way to live you life is to ride the motha fuckin tiger.

I'm not saying don't study philosophy, study as much as you can and don't limit yourself. But that does not change the fact you're living, that you'll have your share of good and evil, you'll have to live with the memories of what you've done, and just live.

This is actually really funny. They should get a better artist

Egoism, clearly.

Unfortunately I am not de-spooked enough

nihilistic hedonism

Nihilism = nothing has any value
Hedonism = only pleasure has value

Sick philosophy user, not stupid at all!

10 cents to any fags that say "to live for art, to create it and love it"

Are you retarded

To live for art, to create it, and to love it!

Now hand over the money dirtbag

traditionalist perennialism

Any anti-natalist who doesn't commit suicide is a hypocrtie whose opinions should be discarded.

this is ... huh .... wow

Antinatalism -/-> antivitalism -/-> obligatory suicide

Post-antichristic dialectical Cohomology

Masturbating to anime girls

Christian Existentialism

My goal is to become the Catholic Diogenes

I tried that, ended up trussed up and shot up with haldol. The holy spirit is powerful.

metaphysico-theologico-cosmolo-nigology

But you already posted the Catholic Diogenes.

Or at least as close to Diogenes as you can get while being Catholic.

Taoism

becoming the ubermensch

This

This and Absurdism.

>Are we seriously going to pretend like any answer other than epicureanism is acceptable?
without the pretension but I agree

artfags don't need money they subsist on the sublime aesthetic

Nihilistic hedonism is something angst-mongers have made up. It's a great way of saying "I'm edgy as fuck but I still think pleasure is nice but it isnt valuable but for some reason but I still want it"

Nihilistic hedonism is a contradiction. Only stupid people think it's a supportable position or means anything. I'm assuming you fall into this camp, am I right?

It's a glorified self help philosophy. Ancient Roganposting.

>anti natilism

the average anti-natalist

Stop posting these low grade comics

Lord Henry Wotton.

>not immediately committing suicide = living forever

Not that user, but not wanting to live forever isn't a tenant of antinatalism; they think it is better not to have been born. This has nothing to do with forever.

So if antinatalists
1. Think non-existence is preferable to existence
2. Are alive

They should probably kill themselves. Unless, for whatever illogical reason, they don't seek what is preferable (more likely, they just aren't antinatalists)

Esoteric Kekism

Stoicism

Radical Anti-Islamism

What does it mean to be based?

I will once you give up your '>reads philosophy once' philosophy.

>I don't read other philosophers
I'm sure you at least implicitly understood what the philosophy of the different RPG classes were and based on this understanding you came to your own conclusions. There is nothing wrong with making informed decisions.

Everything else you said in this post is pretty cool though.

Philosophy is a set of explanation and prescriptions. Don't choose one just because it is said to be based. Go find the best parts of each one and make your philosophy based.

Stoicism isn't a bad place to start though.