Why aren't you reading this right now?

why aren't you reading this right now?

i read it last summer for the first time 10/10 and now that I don't need to be perfect, I can be good

and the sequel

because it broke me the last time i read it and i'm kind of still haunted

Haha timshel! xD

Shut i get. A tattoo of that? (Not Jewish tho lol?)

you should get a soul

I watched all of Eden of the East because i liked kamiyama's direction of SAC and turned out to be shit

Because I'm on the bus right now and I don't have the book with me. Not that I have it at home either.

too busy reading Proust

Same. Which volume are you on? I just started part two of volume three.

I don't read middlebrow trash user

either go full lowbrow speculative fiction or highbrow harold bloom, don't do that pussyfoot steinbeck/hemingway/faulkner middlebrow shit to pretend you're cultured, cuck

If you like East of Eden, there's a good companion book full of letters Steinbeck wrote to his editor while writing the novel. I don't remember what it was called.

>Faulkner
>Middle brow
t. Brainlet

I let my brother borrow it during Christmas.

He hasn't started reading it yet.

t. corncobby chronicles

I hated this fucking book

Corncobby lowbrow poo poo in a time when postmodernism was emerging and modernism had already deconstructed sincere traditional literature

I'm in the middle of volume 4 (Sodom and Gomorrah). Taking a while to get through, but I can tell I will miss it when it's over.

>Corncobby lowbrow poo poo in a time when postmodernism was emerging and modernism had already deconstructed sincere traditional literature

This doesn't really speak to what you disliked about the book itself.

>Tfw that asian woman was raped until she became meat.

It's invalid-literature. Mass produced. How about that? Not relevant. The president of that time said it was his favorite book. That's all you need to know about something - who's aim is to appeal to everyone, spread so thin it becomes dumdum propaganda.

You're still not really talking about the book, just your interpretation of its cultural cache, which I also disagree with.

Would an ISOLT reading group be too onerous a commitment for Veeky Forums?

Do I need to read the Bible to understand this?

Nah. Lots of Steinbeck's books' titles are just quotes from poems and works that relate to the story. You don't need it to understand the story itself.

nice dubs but you're just saying that it's too popular to be good which is I think a little naive

>i thought it was very good, I thought some of the characters were slightly contrived but otherwise it was a solid book

MAYBE have some understanding of the book of Genesis before starting. But even then, there's a scene in the book where they explicitly discuss the story in question in detail, so you probably don't have to.

"Great escape reading" - Playboy

Well if I didn't want to read it before!

>t. pleb reactionary who obviously hasn't read the book and is being angrily derisive of teenagers because he feels cheated out of youth

Pretty pathetic when I can sum up what you're about in one sentence

Already read it

Faulkner is one of the most important American stylists of the English language ever. Grow up.

This book made America really appealing to me

>tfw the area where it was set is probably all just sub-divisions now

Read it last year and so far it's my favorite book. Trying to get my father to read it for those family feels.

I don't think a Peanuts reading group would make it a day around here.

Playboy reviews science fiction novels?

Walt Whitman did that for me but I wonder if his poetry would sound the same if he saw what that america had become now. What would his ode to the Soccer Mom sound like, you know? Not the smithy in his smith or the fisherman at the harbour, but the soccer mom playing disney movies out of the backseat dvd player in the SUV, you know?

Without a doubt. Was super disappointed about how badly the Don Quixote reading group failed.

What's so great about it? I liked the first half quite a lot, but the second half was pretty meh. I liked a lot of the 'major'-minor characters, but the father was such an idiot I guess it just made getting through parts of the chapter enjoyable.

Steinbeck did a very good job gripping you with writing the thoughts and feelings of the one son, I can't remember his name.

I can't read more than ten pages of Steinbeck without vomiting.

What was captivating to me was how it was essentially a chronicle of the good and bad times of the two families, as well as the American people to some extent. Steinbeck's characters are extremely relateable despite all having their individual flaws.

cal

Because I just read it. Great book on all levels, I found it very relatable and emotionally resonant. Not sure if it would be for everyone but goddamn this book hit me hard.