My housemate at uni got psychosis and is now on a ward... Why...

My housemate at uni got psychosis and is now on a ward... Why? Because her philosophy classes considered if we truly have free will... And she just couldn't hack it. [She quit classes and developed psychosis over a couple weeks.]

I thought that only happened in movies... What the fuck? People really are that weak willed...

Wow.

>People
Women*

Let me guess, OP: she was a typical young American white woman, with very little depth of thought or inner life? I'll be she loved Harry Potter, Game of Thrones (the TV show, of course), and Doctor Who? I'll bet she got so excited every Autumn when Starbucks brought the Pumpkin Spice Latte back?

I wish I was joking because it's awful to see someone break down like that. But I am serious. I just can't comprehend that simply entertaining an idea like that could shut down one's mind. There must be something else underlying her psychosis. There must be.

Anyway, she is a young British white woman, and she's the type to smoke, listen to Joe Rogan, sleep around a lot, and come across generally quite dense. And she wears that ditzy 'charm' on her sleeve.

there's a genetic component in psychosis, you are born with that min structure. it's not like an anxiety that you can develop and get rid off, if you are schizo you die with it

university stress might have triggered the onset

Yeah, you're probably right... Never knew it was genetic. Learn something new each day.

She had some underlying mental weakness + smoking marihuana

Source: almost the same thing happened to me, only not from a class, but books I was reading etc

>university stress might have triggered the onset

This. Genetic predisposition + stress and/or semi-traumatic event.

Wow indeed

I endured that when I was 16, can't believe I am that strong willed

Do you guys have any sources on this? Sorry to be pedantic. But I could maybe pass them on to her parents or something. It would explain a lot.

Google "marijuana psychosis" you numbskull.

There's a high chance that she has some permanent condition that the marijuana/philosophizing triggered, and will now plague her forever. I.e. bipolar disorder/schizophrenia, the major difference being schizos are insane all the time and bipolar people are insane sometimes with long stretches of lucidity.

>that feel when you will never experience books like she and this guy do

People who really truly realize the problem of free will, to the point of having freaking out about it, tend to be systematic thinkers who put the "pieces" together and understand how it ripples through everything. It undermines the entire possibility of meaning.

People who don't freak out about it tend not to really get it.

She had pre-existing underlying psychosis. Being forced to examine and reevaluate her perception of the world temporarily knocked off whatever coping mechanism that she normally uses to handle stress and that is what affected her cognition.

It isn't that uncommon to have a repressed issue, but it is uncommon for someone to be repressing a psychosis with such basic tactics that an introduction to something like the free will question would knock them askew.

Now I'm very curious to know more about this person. Could it have been something else?

most people dont shit bricks over it because its nothing but an intellectual exercise; we do have free will. sorry about your 43 IQ

>LMFAO WYPIPO!!!1!1!!!!

>People who don't freak out about it tend not to really get it.
Orrrrrr, they get it, but they have Jesus.

l think you ''get it'' and still not get worked up over it. Maybe. Since you don't know the outcomes, what does it matter if there is ''free will'' or not?

She probably was predisposed to schizophrenia, and smoking weed routinely didn't help. The final breaking point likely came when she considered her last philosophy lecture during an intense marijuana sesh.

Someone people aren't used to live in perma existensial crisis mode like some of us... I mean, I can only speak for myself, but it seems like a lot of people here know "that feel"
That + some fucked up genetics could trigger something like that, I guess
I took 1 bad acid trip and a year plus of depression to give me a "breakdown", I turned out I'm bipolar
It seems like a I can handle it, but after feeling some of the worse stuff mental illness has to offer, I really can't judge anyone who commits suicide
How is your friend doing now, OP?

>I took 1 bad acid trip and a year plus of depression to give me a "breakdown", I turned out I'm bipolar
fuck, everytime I typed "I" I mean't to type "it"
fuck this gay earth
> the major difference being schizos are insane all the time and bipolar people are insane sometimes with long stretches of lucidity.

mmmm, I think Schizos have it a lot worse

What books?

On Women

>take mind altering drug
>get your mind altered

big surprise
alcohol should be illegal
humans are stupid

Did you tell her to stop being fucking retarded?

OP here.

I told her she could have a genetic predisposition and that weed could've triggered it with stress. She said--

'Yeh that's what they told me. It was the sudden stopping of smoking that pushed me into psychosis, but there were lots of symptoms before that anyway. Mental health is fascinating, don't you think? Could you send me the link where you read this - assuming it was on the Internet that is! It's a damn shame because before the trauma I found weed pretty helpful. Sparked my creative side especially with philosophy and debates. Not anymore haha. Can't have it again now!'

[it happened nearly 2 years ago now... she hasnt made a dramatic recovery in 10 minutes.]

she seems nice I want to be friends with her

She sucked my penis a handful of times. The most memorable time was one when I'd ran a handful of miles, and then when I returned I collapsed on my bed and she sucked my cock. I was sweaty as fuck and she licked my balls, so she clearly has a nasty streak. Okay.

:^)

>women

user, you've got a Donald Trump density of falsehoods in this post. Suggests great things for your future.

0/Sartre, low IQ detected

there are a shit tone of studies about this on pubmed; just type 2/3 words about something you need to know about and there's at least one study about an illness and how it relates some other thing

(i have ocd myself and i've read extensively about mental illness being that some of my fear revolves around being sick mentally)

can you post any pics of her?

>0/Sartre
Are you implying Sartre was stupid or intelligent user?

>there must be something more
Yeah something like onset of schizophrenia you fucking spanner, read a book lol

Nah everything I said is true. Marijuana use is associated with psychosis, though the causality is far from clear the evidence now available would seem to suggest that in susceptible individuals marijuana smoking can trigger an underlying psychotic condition.

The reason I said "likely permanent" is that nearly nobody I've known to have some sort of psychotic break in early adulthood has not had another one later in life - personal experience, anecdote, but hardly a falsehood. My aunt had a psychotic break at 21 and never had another but that's the only exception I know.

As for schizo/bipolar, that shit is simply true. There's "I'm bipolar I spread my legs for everyone and go on super crazy drinking benders!!" bipolar, and then there's "I'm bipolar I stay up for days on end and think the Russians are transmitting thoughts into my brain". Of course there are other psychotic diagnoses but the basic reality of mental health services is: crazy all the time and not demented = schizo, crazy sometimes with periods of normalcy = bipolar I with psychotic features

Bipolar is characterised by alternating periods of mania and depression, not psychosis and lucidity. Stop talking with authority on things you don't understand.

Makes sense. Because he said nothing wrong.

You know, when I was in the psychiatric hospital that one year there was this guy that came in twice. He stayed for about two weeks each time. The same thing basically happened to him, and he became manic and had to be admitted and medicated until he chilled the fuck out. Like, a thought would just make him spiral. It was weird.

We had a few people come in because they were manic and had to come down, and then they left after a week or so and went back to life. Just stayed while they were manic.

>manic episodes are the only thing that makes life worthwhile
>most treatments for bipolar deal with mania more than the depression
Nice try, Jews.

>Getting back from a run drenched in sweat and climbing into bed instead of the shower

Sweet fuck user, sort yourself out.

Nah, lying on the bed... I could barely fucking move, mate. I was a lazy cunt getting into shape... Give me a break, user.

nice try Russian shill

heh, the pills I'm taking deal more with depression than with mania, I think I'm even able to trigger it at will sometimes
>still dont have anything to show for it
I wish I could be manic or hypomanic all the time, is fucking amazing

Regardless, pic related

First, I'm not Jewish so fuck off.

Second, the bipolar people with severe depression stayed for months and there wasn't a high turnover of them. And the mania looked like it sucked balls. These people basically weren't even coherent and we (the other patients, the anxious trainwrecks, the addicts, the kids with eating disorders, the suicidal depressives) were basically advised to try not to get involved in conversation with them if we could at all avoid it. Because it was awkward for everyone.

I don't give a fuck, lil nigga.

Of course she did.

Women are intellectual babbys. They can't deal with complex concepts or ideas.

I get that but I see no use in going apeshit because knowledge of that existential fact doesn't change day to day experience and interpersonal interactions. I'm not going to go around like an autist and treat people, including myself, like we do not have agency. Why create problems where there were none previously?

You losers just can't handle our power level.

Nigger I understand more than you'll ever know. Google "manic psychosis". Mania starts with "hurr I feel great I feel reborn lots of energy" and then becomes a psychotic state as you go without sleep. A psychotic manic person is pretty much incoherent. That's bipolar disorder classically understood.

There's a pleb version called "type II" invented in the 80s for people with impulse control problems. Real manic depression has been recognized since antiquity.

>pills for mania make your hands shake to the point people unironically ask if you have parkinson's

You guys spend days on end incapable of stringing together four words sensibly. It's easier to speak to some dementia patients. Have fun.

Your housemate is a drama queen.
Tell her to quit acting like a dumb bitch and start suckling more dicks.
Also, am I on Veeky Forums or is this MTV: The Real World?

>pills for mania make your hands shake to the point people unironically ask if you have parkinson's
Risperidone did that to me. Came onto it off quetiapine, but I had to come off it, too.

>Could you send me the link where you read this - assuming it was on the Internet that is!

Yeah this all totally happened.

>Mania starts with "hurr I feel great I feel reborn lots of energy" and then becomes a psychotic state as you go without sleep

It doesn't always end up in psychotic state
In my experience, the worst are the mixed episodes, those feel psychotic for sure

I can go on days without sleeping and not go ""psychotic"" (since I started taking pills)

May I ask how do you normals feel about bipolar people? are we hated? should I keep my condition as a secret?

Oh man my favorite of all was aripiprazole

>tfw medication for manic excitement and psychosis has the ironic side effects of making you unable to stop pacing or sleep

Yeah ok you go have fun with your "le social anxiety" and "omg I'm so fat wtf I hate food now"

That's normal. I had nightmares when I started to consider where free will could possibly come from when I was 17. I tried to cling on to quantum indeterminacy before I realized that having a bunch of dice shuffle around in my brain doesn't equal free will at all. Ironically I feel much more interested in living life and knowing people after realizing just how limited my reason was.

What if she only studied philosophy because she had psychosis? What if she thought she could cure herself with some good old reading? Philosophy didnt choose her, she chose it

now youre thinking with science

i have ocd and one of my obsessional fears are about being mentally sick; i periodically become convinced i have something. before my actual diagnose, when the 'i have bipolar' was on the daily ocd menu i was the most terrorized and ashamed

>mfw neurotypicals think they can ever really understand philosophy with their cattle-tier """"""consciousness"""""

Just get a trade

tell me about your obsessions, bro

Actually, it turned out I wasn't mad at all. I was in the hospital on a misdiagnosis and it turned out I was having a specific type of epileptic seizure. I spent 9 months doing shitty group therapy for nothing. Mentally, I'm sound. Neurologically I'm fucked and we're considering Vagus Nerve Stimulation at this juncture because 8 AEDs have failed on me so far.

>May I ask how do you normals feel about bipolar people? are we hated? should I keep my condition as a secret?

No problem for me, I have genuine respect for people who manage to stay alive and function even though they are mentally ill, because the magic isn't all in the pills, a lot of it is also up to the individual.

Rekt

The pills I take for bipolar are given to epileptic people too, maybe we are not so different after all.
Can we leave the rudeness in the past and be friends now?

A girl friend I have once texted me detached and vague messages and then disappeared for nearly a month, and when she finally contacted me I found out that she was hospitalized because she had some sort of a "solipsist mental breakdown". She was in a ward in the past, after she attempted to hang herself because of some shit her abusive ex boyfriend had done to her. I drew pic related for her but we have yet met ever since so I didn't give it to the hysterical vagina.

This

Also:

>people who think they can develop a mental illness without being physical trauamatozed and/or homeless for long streches.

>uni
Found the yuro weakling. You people serious need to grow a pair.

Why don't you just send it to her?
that drawing is great btw

>>people who think they can develop a mental illness without being physical trauamatozed and/or homeless for long streches.

You literally are born with it or not, trauma and fucked up situations just make the condition go out of control
>mfw normals think they know shit about life and they have never fist fighted their father

When are you faggots going to get some life experience? get real

thx user, I did sent her a pic of it

That is true, in theory. Though the lamictal made me sick as a dog and I had to stop taking it. Apparently tegretol and topiramate are also used as mood stabilisers, though.

Aye, we can be friends. I suppose I was rude, wasn't I? But I was just saying the truth -- the manic patients were dreadful for the rest of the ward. Although the one paranoid schizophrenic was worse, and I somehow ended up being her only friend. She knitted me a hat. I still have it. The premature dementia patient was also a little iffy on the rest of us because she kept peeing everywhere and running away to lie on the side of the road. And the one woman who was convinced she couldn't walk and just stood in doorways like a roadblock was pretty bad, too. And so were the skeletally thin EDP who looked alien in their thinness, who the other patients were obliged to watch to make sure they didn't go sick up while the nurses took their break. And who were constantly fainting and leaving vomit in unlikely and undesireable places, and who were regularly at risk of suffering sudden and fatal heart attacks because of potassium imbalances. Or that one person who kept trying to commit suicide in awful ways. Or the other patient who DID commit suicide necessitating a group meeting at stupid o'clock at night.

So I guess you guys weren't awful, in the end, when you compare you to the rest of the patients.

Meant to quote

Glad to hear some kind words, most people not even understand what these problems are
I would like to add that not all bipolars are impulsive, those are the ones that end up killing themselves or doing other crazy shit that gives us a bad reputation

during pre teen i had sever hypochondria; i used to read medicine books and think i had it all. terrible, crippling anxiety for a month or so where i could barely eat & became anorexic

been good for years till my early 20s when a dumb fuck friend of mine threatened me badly, started spiraling and became a bit paranoid. as months went by, i started seeing too much into things and developing some patterns around what could incidentally happen in my life at the time. i had obsessional images where i was teared down by hysterical women, like in a trial. due to my anxiety i started reading extensively about psychoanalysis and i deliriously though i had it all.

so my preteen hypochondria morphed in a mostly psyschological one; also most of the themes of obsession, aside health, were about being morally frail. these were coincidental with the rose of political correctness thru the internet, when everything became a political statement, when we started being flooded with screenshots and so on; i used to see people get dragged and started ruminating on how those accuses could be applicable on myself too; i was always able to find something in my mind who was a right target for anything was on the sjw battle ground at any given time. in every argument, i thought i was easily evil from the perspective of both sides of every argument. the anxiety was really bad and sometimes i wasn't able to sleep, to the point of hallucinating and i've had convulsions in some occasions.

I have never been like the manics you describe, they must have been really severe cases, they probably went though years without treatment or something
Can you post a pic of the hat?

Gimme like ten minutes. I recently moved house.

btfo

She thought she was in control and her choices were her excercising her freedom, now she isn't sure what she is being controlled by, including her reaction to the idea of being controlled, etc.

>Person got psychosis at exactly the age most psychotics get psychosis
color me surprised

Found it. It was in the box I thought it would be in.

Anyway, yeah. They were the severe cases. I guess the non-severe cases were treated as outpatients or something. This was all wild inpatient stuff that was going on.

That's what happens when you redpill an uninitiated normie, they can't take critical thought

my moms friend works in a psych ward and she always tells about the chronic cases stay there for years, and they're mostly schizofrenic or in the psychosis spectrum; sometimes also people with severe depression are admitted but stay for a while, also manic episodes or psychotic episodes due to drugs for example; but desu most of the lost causes are the ones who are both mentally sick and severely retarded, because they're not aware of their condition whilst intelligent folks are really ashamed of being there

Man I relate, I haven't gone as nuts as you tho, at least not in that OCD way
After my first acid trip I really went full delusional and was so fixated with solipsism that the anxiety was eating my soul, and I dont even understand why, I already knew what solipsism was
thank god those times are over
Even though I'm a total loser now I feel better than ever, I wish people could spot when someone is going into the mental illness path before is too late

aww is cute
have you heard from her?

Now, my ward was interesting. We, for the most part, did not get the retards. They went down the hill to a more secure unit. I mean, while I was there, there were 5 medical doctors in for treatment (addiction, depression, anxiety.) There were also a couple of nurses.

One of the depression cases was this raging vegetarian feminist and I was genuinely terrified of her because she was built like a brick shithouse, a very loud voice, and a willingness to make threats that people were certain she would follow up on. I went in neutral about feminism, came out anti-feminist.

where are you guys from? are you really sent to the psychward because of being depressed or in a manic episode?
I thought you had to be completly NUTS, completly out of touch with reallity to get into one

if you have severe depression you can slip into heavy suicidal state

yeah I've been there
still didn't get sent to the ward

funny, i instead had a good time doing acid after being off any illegal drugs for 2/3 years (i was not doing anything bc of the hypochondria thing). i was doing a bit better and i said let's try. really groundbreaking experience, i had done acid as a teen but i guess it were very low dosage. doing the trip helped me a bit with ~sensing~ how my obsessions and especially compulsions were transient states that had gone chronic because i couldn't "get out of that particular room"

This

For a while now ive lived in existential dread about modernity, and it's taken a while to get used to it (took about a year). Most people just dont think about these questions in their daily lives and most people shouldn't. But once you've stared into the abyss, you cannot unsee it. Religion has helped immenesly with this though.

Also
>a woman
There's part of your problem

I bet you're just jealous that reading philosophy can penetrate her mind deep enough to actually affect her life.

>Penetrate
>Deep
Wait, what are we talking about?

What was it that kept you awake at night about modernity?

I've been on this ride since I have memory, I'm not exaggerating, my dad recalls me saying God didn't exist when I was like 8, and I was in a catholic school
Becasue of this everyone has always said to me "omg you are so intelligent bla bla bla" but this has only sabotaged every aspect of my life
Still better than being dead I guess
I wish I could become religious but it just doesn't seem to work with me, I can't just fake faith
I did acid a couple of times after that and it was a lot better, but yeah the first one really tared my mind into a million fragments
At least I experienced ego death which was cool, it made me realize of how much of an idiot I had been all my life, all the time wasted

Most people have had these questions and live with them, you insufferable pseud. Grow up and stop being a pretentious emo teenager - it's not fucking cool anymore in current year.
>muh staring into abyss
>muh 2deep4u feelings
Good god how does this gay earth carry such enormous faggots.

the ego death was terrifying for me, but only for like 30 minutes then everything flowed in its place; i'm not saying it cured me, but i had such a colorful, emotional, varied experience that i started looking for those things more in my life, which translated in quittin benzos. xanax was slowly absorbing my will power off me, leaving only the rot behind. but of course when i did the trip i was doing a bit better from my anxiety front, i hadn't had any peak crisis for months and was willing to try it. when at my worst i could not even drink a sip of beer because how afraid i was about it triggering some new obsession.