Poorfags with no appliances thread

Poorfags with no appliances thread.

>going to university in a town with a grotesque housing market
>found place that has private bath and bedroom, but no kitchen
>has a microwave, toaster oven, fridge, sink in laundry
>I'm bringing a hot plate, crockpot, toaster, and kettle
>what the fuck do I eat

I want a thread to brainstorm ideas for people in similar predictaments - either because they don't have appliances or because they're low on energy, camping, etc.

>predictaments

English degree presumptably?

That's a pretty normal word for 'problematic but inescapable situation'. What word would you use?

For your situation, OP, can you clarify what you have in terms of the crockpot and hotplate? Just random images off the web of the product or an equivalent.

>>has a microwave, toaster oven, fridge, sink in laundry
>>I'm bringing a hot plate, crockpot, toaster, and kettle

You can fix 98% of all common meals without limitation.

Here's some ideas this far:

1. Microwaveable steam bags for veggies
2. Microwaveable ommlette things I can load up with garlic, chili flakes, bell peppers, pre-cooked bacon I crumble, mushrooms, scallions, etc. Crumble cheese on top, serve in tortilla or on toast.
3. Ramen with soya, boiled egg from hotplate, chili, steamed veggies
4. Cereals with fruit and milk or yogurt.
5. Going to look at raw food hipster douchebag websites for ideas
6. Salads
7. Going to a nearby relatives house on weekend to make chilis, soups, dumplings/perogies, etc., that I can defreeze quickly and serve with onions, sandwhiches and veggies.

I'd use the same word but with the correct spelling.

this. it'll be more time consuming though so just make big batches and freeze things for dinner.

Didn't even notice the spelling. Surely that'd be evidence _against_ an English degree?

Geology. And it's not that complicated a word?

I have this big slowcooking pot and a single element-like thing on a stand.

This is true, but my room is very small and carpetted so I'm trying to think of ways I can cut down to avoid mess, have more space, etc. If I could keep most stuff stacked in storage I'd have more space for classwork.

What the fuck is that picture? Glad I don't eat meat, how sad.

It's a degree in English Literature not language, smartass.

>go on vegan site
>tacos with spicy nut meat
>spicy
>nut
>meat
These people are fucking animals.
>Freeze things
Only thing I'm worried about is having to de-freeze a whole tub of something. Probably will invest in smaller Value Village containers.

>incorrect spelling
Yikes, I guess it WAS that complixated of a word.

honestly I would sacrifice a private bathroom for a shared one and a proper shared kitchen if the rent was the same or cheaper. you'll soon tire of it.

Eh, already signed the lease, but the bathroom wasn't my biggest concern. It was location + superlow price + the landlord was this obscenely nice old woman with a phd in my field who thinks I'm neat bc rocks.

Ya wouldn't need to thaw a whole tub of anything if ya just freeze things in portion sizes. During my time at uni, I spent about three days each month batch cooking several things, mains, starters/sides and sauces/gravies/condiments and freezing the lot in single serve sizes using fold over sandwich baggies.
The practical upshot of doing it this way is that I'm not doomed to look at the same plate of food every time I need to eat since I can mix and match what mains and sides I want for whichever meal.

get a rice cooker and replace that toaster with a toaster oven so you have more options. Also get a good camping pot set.

>predictaments
>complex word

>toaster
Nah, I got a toaster oven my dude.

>camping cookset
If I already have cutlery/pans, what unique function would this serve?

>rice
Eh, I don't eat rice often and I'm very low on space. I'm sticking to appliances where I can maximize dishes.

This is super smart! I guess I worried that I'd have a craving for some not frozen meal, but I could try this on a week by week basis and see how it goes. I'll definitely try the condiments and side dish thing, since I think that'll fix the craving issue.

Yeah, give the portion freezing idea a go.
Just be sure not to freeze things that reheat like shit, like cooked prawns/shrimp, for example. They taste no time to cook, so it's best to portion them raw.
Also, keep some cooked rice in the fridge. I still do this one actually: I cook enough rice at a time for six servings, putting it into a metal bowl into the fridge, uncovered. After the first day, I break the now-stuck-together rice grains and let it sit another day, also uncovered. By the day following, I put it into a container. To reheat, I wrap a portion in damp kitchen paper and nuke for a minute. Comes great.
For an example of how to combine condiment/sauce with something for a meal, I used to make a curried prawn dish. I cooked the curry gravy and veg together and flavoured it with prawn stock cubes and froze in portion sizes. Thereafter, when I wanted some curried prawn, I nuked a portion until thawed, add a portion of frozen prawn, nuked until cooked through and served with reheated rice as described above.
After a busy day, I can have a decent enough meal in about 5 minutes by just reheating that stuff.

I didn't even know that prawns were shit dethawed, thanks user.

>cooked rice
This is super smart because, like you said, you can put any topping on it.

>metal
>uncovered
>breaking grains apart
Any reason in particular? Does it turn into a carbohydrate blob if you just seal and throw it in the fridge?

>dethawed

Google dead cow in supermarket and there's a chuckfisted huffpo article on it.

Best line from article:
>When I shared this photo on social media, it went viral, with over 1400 people so far reacting to it.

No particular reason for the metal bowl, just that it's the largest one I have so it makes it easier to break up the rice clumps.
As for not sticking it into a covered container straight away, in my experience, not drying out then breaking it up before covering it leads to to rice going halfway between mushy and gelatinised and can't be broken up into individual grains from the formed clumps. Not good, in any case. Someone else might have a different experience, though.

I just think cooked prawns, whether frozen or refrigerated, reheat poorly, turning into rubber in the process. Same with most (all?) shellfish, really.

>checking typos
Calm down.

It's a commentary on the meat industry, this cow is a poet.

These were all really awesome points and I'm grateful that you explained so fully, user. Definitely putting this into practice.

The meat doesn't get any fresher than that.

That is clearly not a typo

>typing quickly
>write "thaw" instead of "freeze" in a context where mixing them up is entirely plausible
>not a typo
>being THIS autismal

Leave voter detected

>Trump voter detected

Is an outdoor grill an option? Small ones are pretty cheap

Also if you can spare the $$ an instapot seems like a good choice. Just ditch the crockpot.

Never considered this an option, there is a backyard space I have access to. Never heard of instapots, either.

That's the Joke.

Do words with more than three syllables scare you?

>problematic
College cuck detected

fuck off

Hahahahaha fucking cock gobbling dumbasses

pussy

You can make pasta and ground beef in the microwave. Microwave beef in water for 3 minutes, stirring and breaking up the block that forms every minute. Then drain. Pasta works the same way. I think it's 8 minutes to cook, stirring every minute or 2. Total time depends on the pasta. Drain and serve. Rice can just be substituted for minute rice. I've made spaghetti, chili, chicken and rice, tacos... It isn't a stretch of the imagination. Canned chicken and tuna work well enough alone.
But you said you have a hot plate so what's the problem?

How big is the laundry room? Can't you just ask the landlord if you can put up a small counter in there which will fit two hot plates, a toaster oven and some work area?

>Glad I don't eat meat, how sad.
That picture made me feel hungry.

>tfw no toaster oven
I used that shit all the time, hate using the big stove for things
I havent even eaten bread in a month, bought jelly for nothing

Single serve portion freezing dude here again ()
Phone posting, but remembered something that could help your situation more specifically: instant rice and old, large yoghurt pots.
Lemme explain. I eat a lot of yoghurt and always have. I accrue in one year no fewer than 10 new pots of yoghurt of 1 litre in size each. They're great for storage and they're generally microwave safe (I'm sure there may be a brand or two which use non-microwave safe plastics, but I've yet to encounter one).
For a quick dinner, I used to boil some water in a yoghurt pot in the microwave then blanch a green veg in it. Brussells sprouts or broccoli were most common. Then rinse/shock the veg in cold running water while I nuke a second portion of water with some dried onion, a stock cube and a bit of butter and splash of milk.
Once the veg is washed and the water is boiled, I stir quick rice and the veg into the yoghurt pot and nuke a third and final time then let it rest, covered, a few minutes while I grate some cheese.
Finally, I tip the rice out into a bowl, stir in the cheese and eat.
Takes about 7 minutes total, tastes pretty great and there's no need for any appliance besides the microwave.

Protip