Can I use red delicious apples in a pie? I've got a fuck ton that I am not using and don't want to eat. If not pie...

Can I use red delicious apples in a pie? I've got a fuck ton that I am not using and don't want to eat. If not pie, what else can I use them for?

Yes.

No.

Do you know what kind of texture it'll make? I don't want some mushy pie.

Nice dubs btw.

It may not be the best since red delicious are intended for appearance and not taste/baking. Might want to sweeten them a bit

no, they will turn into mush from the heat and lack apple flavor and have no tartness.

That's what I feared. What about kompot? Do they work for that?

the harder and more sour the apple the better. if you can easily eat it raw its not suitable for pie.

red delicious apples are only good for throwing at people in the stocks when you do some olde timey larping. or packing them in the lunch of some children you hate

nice tip. will use this fall

Nope. Not only will it turn to mush but red delicious also browns much more quickly than most other varieties of apple. Granny Smith, on the other hand, browns much more slowly and retains its shape better. Has something to do with pectins and enzymes and stuff a chemist might be able to better explain, so ask one.
Anyway, red delicious aren't really suited to much besides eating as they are and, with conjuction with other apples, as applesauce and apple butter. Lucky for you, apple butter keeps a good long while and is easy to make. Just buy a few other varieties of apples to go with your RDs or you'll wind up with a fairly one-note sauce/butter.
To make applesauce, peel, quarter and core the apples then toss with some lemon juice as vit C helps to lessen enzymatic browning.
Braise with apple juice until soft enough to mash.
Up the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the right consistency is achieved. Sweeten to taste.

For apple butter, take the freshly made applesauce and slow cook it for many, many hours with some spices if/as desire. It takes me a about 24 hours in a slow cooker to get it as thick as I prefer. As for spices, I like to add a little powdered green cardamom seed. Also nutmeg. Most people prefer the typical autumn spice melange of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger and allspice. You do what you like, though.
As it slow cooks, the sauce will reduce considerably and turn thick and syrupy. It will become spreadable, hence the appellation 'butter.' Some people will sweeten it further, but I don't think it's necessary.
Canned properly, apple butter can stay fresh for quite a good, long while.

Hope this helps.

Cider

>something to do with pectins and enzymes and stuff a chemist might be able to better explain, so ask one

>is there any chemists in this bitch?

Better to make apple sauce with red delicious.

Another option for the apples, at least initially, is to make tartes tatin, which are a quickly-cooked apple dessert, so will suffer less from oxidation. They're basically apples cooked in caramel, on a pie-crust.

Chemist here; we can't help you, find an industrial food scientist. Seriously, that sort of process is so fantastically complex there's nothing a chemist can really tell you about it beyond 'organic things fall apart when taken out of their expectation environment'

the only thing to do with a delicious apple, no matter the colour, is to chuck it in the bin. A more tasteless apple it would be hard to find. They definitely will not cook well.

Bad idea. They don't hold up well to heat. Red delicious are very mealy.

not OP but how would they do as dried apple rings? otherwise, yeah, just slice them and put some peanut butter on them so you're at least eating something that sorta tastes like something. but they are definitely some of the least flavourful apples out there.

cut the hole through each to remove the seed box, put each in a different muffin mold and slowly bake them whole. Maybe stuff them with nothing, or sugar, cinnamon, honey, walnuts, pour cream, rum, fuck them over all differently. After baking let them sit for a bit.