So when it comes to Von Neumann we are indeed dealing with an unparalleled intellect...

So when it comes to Von Neumann we are indeed dealing with an unparalleled intellect. He was smarter and more gifted than Einstein, or Newton, or Gauss or Euler.

We can also say that he was working in subjects that demanded much more brilliance than the ones where Shakespeare, Mozart, Bach and Michelangelo made their achievements (perhaps Neumann could do what they did if he put his mind to it, only he did not had the interest).

This is the most shining example of human intelligence ever.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com.br/books?id=pmPaAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA308&dq=von neumann memory&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis6oG3wZ_TAhVBlZAKHT2CA_I4ChDoAQhdMAg#v=onepage&q=memory&f=false
books.google.com.br/books?id=pmPaAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA308&dq=von neumann memory&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis6oG3wZ_TAhVBlZAKHT2CA_I4ChDoAQhdMAg#v=onepage&q=von neumann memory&f=false
books.google.com.br/books?id=pmPaAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA8&dq=von neumann dickens memory&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKovqg75jXAhUJvZAKHUVLAPwQ6AEILjAB#v=onepage&q=von neumann dickens memory&f=false
thenewcalculus.weebly.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=vLbllFHBQM4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

75% of the stories about Neumann are probably made up hagiographic bullshit

he recited 20 straight minutes from a book he once read 20 years prior in a different language purely from memory? he memorized entire phone books for fun? pfft yeah whatever, I'll believe it when I see it.

I kind of disagree with you. He presumably had outstanding working memory and 'raw IQ' in the very sense of IQ Veeky Forums worships. Nonetheless, his vision of things wasn't as deep as Einstein's. Continuing the topic of 'deep thinking' I'd mention Grothendieck and Galois whom I personally like more than VN, Gauss, Euler. This intelligence is rather different, Grothendude failed his Trig exam which probably never happen to VN

>The goys have proven the following theorem…

The heroes of humanity are of two kinds: the ones who are just like all of us, but very much more so, and the ones who, apparently, have an extra-human spark. We can all run, and some of us can run the mile in less than 4 minutes; but there is nothing that most of us can do that compares with the creation of the Great G-minor Fugue. Von Neumann's greatness was the human kind. We can all think clearly, more or less, some of the time, but von Neumann's clarity of thought was orders of magnitude greater than that of most of us, all the time. Both Norbert Wiener and John von Neumann were great men, and their names will live after them, but for different reasons. Wiener saw things deeply but intuitively; von Neumann saw things clearly and logically. What made von Neumann great? Was it the extraordinary rapidity with which he could understand and think and the unusual memory that retained everything he could understand and think and the unusual memory that retained everything he had once thought through? No. These qualities, however impressive they might have been, are ephemeral; they will have no more effect on the mathematics and the mathematicians of the future than the prowess of an athlete of a hundred years ago has on the sport of today. The "axiomatic method" is sometimes mentioned as the secret of von Neumann's success. In his hands it was not pedantry but perception; he got to the root of the matter by concentrating on the basic properties (axioms) from which all else follows. The method, at the same time, revealed to him the steps to follow to get from the foundations to the applications. He knew his own strengths and he admired, perhaps envied, people who had the complementary qualities, the flashes of irrational intuition that sometimes change the direction of scientific progress. For von Neumann it seemed to be impossible to be unclear in thought or in expression. His insights were illuminating and his statements were precise.
P R Halmos

is important to know that all of those memorization-achievements were due to training, and most of the reciting needed to follow the chain of verses or lines. They could not simply pick a page at random and start reciting: they needed to start at some point and move from there forward.

In all of history, nobody has ever seen something as great as some gossips about Neumann state. So, what is easier to believe: that this is one case in all the history of humanity or that the stories were grossly exaggerated?

Here, look at this book about Neumann: the author is clearly saying that there was a lot of legend about Neumann’s capacities:

books.google.com.br/books?id=pmPaAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA308&dq=von neumann memory&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis6oG3wZ_TAhVBlZAKHT2CA_I4ChDoAQhdMAg#v=onepage&q=memory&f=false

And here (here is the central piece of my argumentation) you can see that he selected some books and subjects to “learn by hearth”, to memorize them, and later used the time-invested-knowledge to baffle his friends:

books.google.com.br/books?id=pmPaAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA308&dq=von neumann memory&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis6oG3wZ_TAhVBlZAKHT2CA_I4ChDoAQhdMAg#v=onepage&q=von neumann memory&f=false

and:

So he was actually doing what all the people who work their own memories do: he was training and selecting specific texts to learn.

About his "supreme memory" that could "remember every single book he read from top to cover", see this bio about him, page 8:

books.google.com.br/books?id=pmPaAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA8&dq=von neumann dickens memory&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKovqg75jXAhUJvZAKHUVLAPwQ6AEILjAB#v=onepage&q=von neumann dickens memory&f=false

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand von Neumann. His genius is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of his accomplishments will go over a typical person's head. There’s also his nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his personality- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. His fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these theories, to realise that they’re not just mathematical- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike von Neumann truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the genius in von Neumann's existential catchphrase “Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as von Neumann’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

8/10 pasta saved as a .txt and I will be sure to deploy it in situations where it is called for, and not.

So you agree with this:

>We can also say that he was working in subjects that demanded much more brilliance than the ones where Shakespeare, Mozart, Bach and Michelangelo made their achievements (perhaps Neumann could do what they did if he put his mind to it, only he did not had the interest).

“Yevgeny Vassilyitch, I hope——”

“Ah, Anna Sergyevna, let us speak the truth. It's all over with me. I'm under the wheel. So it turns out that it was useless to think of the future. Death's an old joke, but it comes fresh to every one. So far I'm not afraid ... but there, senselessness is coming, and then it's all up!——” he waved his hand feebly. “Well, what had I to say to you ... I loved you! there was no sense in that even before, and less than ever now. Love is a form, and my own form is already breaking up. Better say how lovely you are! And now here you stand, so beautiful ...”

Anna Sergyevna gave an involuntary shudder.

“Never mind, don't be uneasy.... Sit down there.... Don't come close to me; you know, my illness is catching.”

Anna Sergyevna swiftly crossed the room, and sat down in the armchair near the sofa on which Bazarov was lying.

“Noble-hearted!” he whispered. “Oh, how near, and how young, and fresh, and pure ... in this loathsome room!... Well, good-bye! live long, that's the best of all, and make the most of it while there is time. You see what a hideous spectacle; the worm half-crushed, but writhing still. And, you see, I thought too: I'd break down so many things, I wouldn't die, why should I! there were problems to solve, and I was a giant! And now all the problem for the giant is how to die decently, though that makes no difference to any one either.... Never mind; I'm not going to turn tail.”

Bazarov was silent, and began feeling with his hand for the glass. Anna Sergyevna gave him some drink, not taking off her glove, and drawing her breath timorously.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a von Neumann tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

lol

Ok, now I know you are joking. But you scared me for a while.

That sounds like Feynman.

Nice pasta love the turgenev bit

He may have had more brainpower, but he would've never been as groundbreaking and spectacular as Newton, Gauss, Bach, Euler, Einstein, Da Vinci and Shakespeare were

John Gabriel is the only unparalleled intellect in the history of humankind.

thenewcalculus.weebly.com/

lol

so many crazy people in the world.

There are some real sad stories also. Take Christopher Langan, for example. If he had had and upbringing like the one of Von Neumann (mental stimulation right after getting out of diapers; wealth to buy any books and teaching materials he wanted or needed; support and warmth from family; educated and intellectualized people with whom to converse within the family and in the society he frequented; a rich father who could pay for private tutors in any areas of knowledge), if he had benefited from it all, who could say what he was going to producing today?

>but he would've never been as groundbreaking and spectacular as Newton, Gauss, Bach, Euler, Einstein, Da Vinci and Shakespeare were

Why do you say so?

kek

He called Gauss the greatest mathematician of all time and conceded that Godel was greater than him. Even the work he's most famous for was misnamed after him. To presume he'd be able to accomplish what someone like Einstein or Grothendieck achieved is foolish as he had a completely different mind.

>To presume he'd be able to accomplish what someone like Einstein or Grothendieck achieved is foolish as he had a completely different mind.

Interested in this.

You could elaborate more on the differences of achievement between the work of Von Neumann and that of Grothendieck?

What makes Grothendieck so especial?

(I'm a pleb, sorry)

>Von Neumann was smarter than Einstein, or Newton, or Gauss or Euler.

Von Neumann had a Huge head.

He was Smarter than even Ed Witten.

A huge Brain, the PHENOTYPE that Jewish girls crave for.

>You could elaborate more on the differences of achievement between the work of Von Neumann and that of Grothendieck?
>What makes Grothendieck so especial?

this, please.

Also, here is Von Neumann speaking:

youtube.com/watch?v=vLbllFHBQM4

Genius worship is essentially "ohhh wooowww' fodder for idiots. Very gifted people rarely think of themselves as geniuses. That's left for retards to make Veeky Forums threads about.

>if he had benefited from it all, who could say what he was going to producing today?
Probably nothing, since the ability to score extremely high on an IQ test has nothing to do with genius.

>Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
>he actually said this
sides in orbit

Thats exactly the point he's trying to make

No, the point he is making is that Langan had inherent intelligence that was not brought to fruition by upbringing. My point is that he had little inherent intelligence to begin with. There are plenty of accomplished intellectuals who had no proper upbringing.

>My point is that he had little inherent intelligence to begin with. There are plenty of accomplished intellectuals who had no proper upbringing.

Scoring well on an IQ test is one measure of intelligence. Langan had neither the upbringing nor the interest in intellectual pursuits that could have made him a proper genius. As you said, scoring high on an IQ test has nothing to do with genius, genius is something cultivated through years of autistically focused hard work. Sure some intellectuals manage to become accomplished without a proper upbringing, but nonetheless they obviously had drive and focus.

Explain to me how this fucking brainlet thought that QUANTUM LOGIC was a good idea.

>youtube.com/watch?v=vLbllFHBQM4

He is so shy (^_^)

"Watch that cable, doc"

he is so kawaii

He looks very humble.

>a lawyer from arkansas
oh boy

Can someone give an answear to this?

Alex was a big picture thinker. He was a map maker that invented high level ways to think about mathematics in very abstracted ways, in this big picture thinking difficult problems became obvious. He wasn’t an analyst that computed things. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone like him did terribly in the math section of the regular GRE. He failed basic math exams in school. You might mistake him as having no talent in math because the “easy” grade school level math is not where his talents were. His talents transcended this earthly plane into the most abstracted view of mathematics. He was this huge big idea thinker that had an entire landscape view of mathematics. A genius of the highest order. Alex is like some super intelligent mathematical monk.

Johnny has extremely high CPU power. He could compute things well. He is what you’d think a mathematician should and would be and the best in that category. He wouldn’t fail at basic math like Alex and was smart enough to understand abstract mathematics. Very well-rounded mathematician. But I don’t see him as a map maker like Alex. I don’t see him as a “big picture” thinker that completely revolutionizes mathematics with the fullest power of generality.

Basically it’s high CPU compute power vs Buddhist monk big picture map maker power.

I wanted to say Johnny had superintelligent abilities in mathematics. He was extremely, extremely intelligent. But I see their approach to math different. Both were geniuses among geniuses.

Albert Einstein has been the smartest human to have ever walked this earth thus far.

You shit cunt.

>Albert Einstein has been the smartest human to have ever walked this earth thus far.

Please dont call then alex and johnny

If he was so smart why did he smoke?

Are you sure he wasn't just the first with connections to the appropriate individuals (government, scientists, military researchers) to think up the secrets of nuclear power and have them be used?

Hard to believe such a high-tier genius was addicted to nicotine

srinavasa is more impressive he basically had theorems come to him naturally that he knew were right without a proof

Unfortunately he was Indian and like Ramanujan no one will ever know about him because he was from poo in loo land