Has anyone here actually learned Arabic or a language with a really alien script compared to that of English...

Has anyone here actually learned Arabic or a language with a really alien script compared to that of English, how difficult or easy is it? Can someone give me a rundown.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_script
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm Greek if it suits you

Half the letters are the same, mate, and the rest we know from math.

i started learning russian, and got as far as discovering that the cursive "T" looks like a lower-case "m", and i said "fuck that" and bailed.

Eбaть этo

I know how to read and write in Hebrew, and I know how to form basic sentences. It's pretty easy to write but when trying to read sometimes there are no vowels and it's fucking impossible.

i dont recommend you arabic
its very tough for the westerners
i mean you can learn the spoken language of a certain country say Egypt or Syria you can get by by a couple hundred words but say algeria or morroco shit gets weird spoken language wise
there is a formal arabic that is recognized everywhere in the arabic lands but that my friend is where the shit hits the fan like there is 27 letter and every letter can have 3 extra utterance which is "ow -Ee-Aa" so it can be overwhelming
while the arabic literature is rich and awesome its sad that few can access it in its original language
i would recommend you learning turkish but they use the same alpha as eng
so good luck fellow human !

I actually am.
Semitic, so right to left
The Quran has heavy emphases on vocal reciting, so there is an exact pronunciation in every context for each arabic letter

honestly, you're better off just reading the wikipedia page

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_script

If you want to learn Arabic, then learn the formal Arabic. Makes it easier to learn the different versions of spoken Arabic. Also, the grammar can be a bit tedious.

i've learned persian for a while and it's quite okay
indo-european language btw but it's got the arabic alphabet
also, i guess most arabic literature has been translated into persian so

The script isn't that hard to pick up. It consists of only 28 characters that have lots of similarities between them(in the same way the letter M and the letter N are similar to each other). They can be recited as limerick the same way as the English alphabet. It shouldn't take you more than one or two daya to learn them and start working on pronouncing words.
As for the syntax and the grammar, I'd put their difficulty on par with the German language. There are many iterations for every word depending on its position in the sentence and its feminine/masculine status. So you'll have to work on both the grammar and the vocabulary simultaneously, as they complement each other.

How did they used to write Persian before the Arab conquest?

I am learning Hebrew and concur. It takes a while to learn the letters but it's not too bad after tnat

Oddly enough, we've gone to war or are currently having major tensions with all 4 of these countries. Maybe it's just the fact that it's difficult to understand each other that causes so much conflict. We've never heard Kim Jong Un in english (just subtitles at best).

>I know how to read in write in Hebrew

>major tensions with Japan and South Korea
You're fucking retarded.

Learning chinese characters and starting Mandarin
It's really fascinating, cause you can learm characters without need of learning any language that uses it
Also, when you learn read one language, you will be able to understand most of other written languages that use this script
And it's pretty easy though, if you only find good way to learn it

>if you only find good way to learn it

What is yours?

>What is World War II?
>What is Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
>What country is north of South Korea

Weird how it's always the morons that call me retarded.

I speak Farsi dude and it's pretty easy. Tbh the Arabic script does not suit an Indo-European language like Farsi at all. I didn't grow up speaking or writing it though so I can't objectively say that the lettering system is worse than Latin. I know Bengali too and that has a fucking stupid alphabet, over a hundred different symbols, some of them for the same sound. It's illogical and archaic.

dude i need people to practice farsi w

World War II was 70 fucking years ago you lunatic.

U cant say a language is easy if you grew up speaking it dumb dumb. But persian grammar is easy.

As for op, try using mnemonics for the alphabet. for example there is a letter ba and its a line with a dot below, you can remember it is ba because its BELOW the line, ta has two dots above ta=2, tha 3 dots above tha=3, etc. Its a bit difficult at first but you get used to it. You will probably quit after you find out about broken plurals and verb forms tho. just some tips though if you stick it out and confront the challenges the language is extraordinarily beautiful and very very logical, but just complex and different. there are pretty much no irregularities, and the irregularities are regular.

Checked

Also, way prior to the arab invasion, we wrote with Khat e Mikhi, nail writing(as in hammer and nails) which is more widely known as cuneiform. After that, we used a script known as Pahlavi

Personally, I found that writing in Arabic to be easy. The more difficult part, where I stopped learning, was in the vocab (since none of it could stick in my mind, probably due more than anything to disuse) and the grammar (past the structuring of simple phrases).

The orthography was a little daunting in the beginning, but it became straightforward for the most part. I still struggled with the letters not common to English, both in recognizing them and recording them.

Do they teach greek script in greece? I want to learn how to greek script.

The best is learning history of character with older forms
But excluding Outlier Linguistic dictionary there's no unified resource to learn that way

Other way is to learn compound characters and then you remember it as a sequence of characters
F.e. 棟 (building) is made up of 2 characters, 木 (tree), and 東 (east). Don't seem really logically, but when you remember that "tree" is radIcal (indicates meaning) and "east" I'd phonetic (indicates pronunciation) It's seems to be easier.
But many chars are easier to remember , e.g. 林 (forest) or 川 (stream)

So Heisig's way is pretty similar and I recommend his books.
Also, remember that traditional characters are easier to remember than simplified ones.
And you have to learn how to use Anki flashcards, it's really helpful.