Why is canned soup always so shitty?

Why is canned soup always so shitty?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/all-american-beef-stew-recipe.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cream of Broccoli from any brand is the only one that's pretty much always good, and Wolf Brand Chili No Beans

Name me one thing in a can that's better than fresh

Peaches

Cranberry sauce

tomatoes out of season

Dolphin

agreed

>Why is canned soup always so shitty?

They're convenient. Progresso is ok. Wolfgang Puck is pretty tasty.

They always have a ton of salt added to them.

Don't know what kind of shitty peaches you're eating bud

What is wrong with you?

>They always have a ton of salt added to them.
Agreed.
I have to follow a low sodium diet. I'll get Campbell's Healthy Request chicken noodle soup which has reduced sodium. I'll strain the broth, rinse the remaining contents, and then dump into a bowl mix with a cup of boiling water with pic related added.

>Name me one thing in a can that's better than fresh
I always liked canned green beans better. Del Monte makes them in single servings with no salt added.

i will get s hit on
but i hate fresh green beans, canned ones have a nicer texture and saltiness
fuck fresh green beans i hate their squeaky crunchy bullshit attitude

Water

Kidney beans

The key with anything pre-packaged is to deconstruct then reconstruct. Take a Progresso chicken and wild rice, for example. Strain it for the broth, then add some chicken bone broth for your base. Looking at your strainer, you'll see 90% rice, 5% vegetables and 5% chicken. That goes for any canned soup, basically. Lots of filler.

Pick out what you like and throw it back in--in the ratio you like best. I prefer light rice heavy vegetables. Sautee some spinach, peas, sweet potato, and for me...ginger and a serrano pepper. A shit tier can became a nice meal if you experiment...

I actively made an effort to make soup without adding any salt to it.
Salty as fuck anyways.
I follow this recipe seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/all-american-beef-stew-recipe.html
and obviously, all the salt is coming from the stock.
Is it even possible to make non-salty soup?
Am I required to make chicken stock from scratch?

pumpkin soup is okay from a can

>in order to make can soup better just homemake some soup
I feel like you're adding some unnecessary steps amigo.

sweet hot pickled tomatoes, the ultimate comfort food

Life is an experiment, hombre...why not mix it up?

Like any canned or frozen food, it's already cooked when you buy it. You then get home and cook it again, therefore overcooking it. Overcooked food doesn't taste good.

You aren't supposed to cook it, just heat it up.

>it's already cooked
No.

>Gluten free
>Potato, broccoli and cheese
That does sound shitty. I love pic related.

With what brands? I've not found a soup that doesn't need a touch of salt and pepper.

They try to cut production costs by using lower quality stock, or if it's a cream soup they'll use less cream but add thickeners.

Why not just make your own fucking soup at that point?

Price Albert

Campbells chunky is bretty gud

Same.

hey, let him out already!

best answer

>Why is canned soup always so shitty?
They load up sodium so it lasts longer. I lived in these for a while now, and they're better if you mix in some boiled potatoes, beans, or rice that is prepared separately. Convenience store packaged parmesan cheese and pepper helps a lot. I'm legally categorized as poverty(make 4 digit a year) and I've been living on a batch of these that I got on a sale for 50 cents a can. That's about as much as I'll pay for them, too. They aint worth 4 bucks that they go for, if you ask me.

Refried beans. It takes so much effort and time that it's not worth doing from scratch.

Last time I bought soup from a can was a long time ago when some major company started advertising their new line of soups as high-quality and full soups. I tried their onion soup. It was a watery mess with barely half a small onion in there and some vermicelli sprinkled on. This was supposed to be their best. From then on I only made my own soups.

I literally can't find that shit in stores

They are formulated to cater to a wide audience, so usually lack good/interesting seasoning. The standard american diet is heavy on the salt and light on diverse flavors, so that's what gets put in a can. It's probably also cheaper that way as well.

>always
it's not