I'm about to move out and want to get in cooking. What stuff should I buy as starter? I'm a Veeky Forumsfag...

I'm about to move out and want to get in cooking. What stuff should I buy as starter? I'm a Veeky Forumsfag, so lots of meat, fish, rice and salad is what I'm aiming for.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6SvNmvpGfIM
youtube.com/watch?v=o28yI1XTQQU
reddit.com/r/CampfireCooking/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy a salad spinner and a sous vide cooker and you'll be all set OP

chef's knife, paring knife, fillet knife, some kinda of sharpening tool, wooden chopping board, a couple decent pans with lids (I like the ceramic coated), crockpot, rice-cooker...

Why a rice cooker instead of just a pod? Isn't it a waste of money?

While you should learn to cook rice without one, if you're going to be eating a lot of rice it comes in handy.

got a unrelated question but you guys don't have SQT or QTDDTOT so gunna ask here and hope

what can I cook in boiling water? looking to up my /out/ cooking game instead of just doing noodles and hotdogs and premade meals only requirements

>won't make you ill if undercooked
>can be boiled to cook it

i would agree that a rice cooker is a waste of money. you can even cook rice in the microwave if you're that clueless and desperate.

when i moved out i just went to my local thrift shop and bought a bunch of stuff that was used and thrown out by non-cookers. one pot, a pan, a ton of bowls, and some plates

If you just want nutrition and a filling. One pot stews are the best.

Buy cheap cut meats, mushrooms, tomatoes, and spices. Make a huge pot of thick stew.

Portion them with vegetables or starches.

Takes no skill to make, basically just toss everything in a big pot and simmer.

listen to this nigga

you can cook anything in boiling water really, but the only things that will come out well are potatos/pasta/noodles

>Rice
Brown Rice?

> I'm a Veeky Forumsfag

and you think it matters?

I'm not a Veeky Forumsfag but I eat a lot like in the picture. A rice cooker, 4 qt. pot with universal steaming basket, and a 15 inch cast iron skillet will make everything you see there. You don't really need a chef's knife and cutting board. You can cut a lot of vegetables in your hand safely with a small pairing knife or pocket knife. Best example I could find in short amount of time: youtu.be/6SvNmvpGfIM

Basically, you put the knife on the opposite side of the food, and squeeze the food between your knife and hand. If you want to dice an onion, then get the chef's knife, but if you just want to cube up some potatoes or slice carrots for a stew, then a pairing/pocket knife is all you need.

Quick rundown:

>rice in rice cooker with or without chicken stock or bouillon cube
>steamed broccoli and mixed veg with steamer basket
>pasta in 4 qt. pot with salted water
>meats seared or shallow-fried in cast iron

>You don't really need a chef's knife and cutting board. You can cut a lot of vegetables in your hand safely with a small pairing knife or pocket knife.
You can, but it's fucking stupid. Everything will take 10x as long, you can only slice, you can't dice or chiffonade.

You need one knife OP: a chef's knife. That's your all-purpose workhorse. If you buy a second, you get a paring knife for finer work. They're easier to work with for stuff like pitting avocados and de-veining shrimp. If you buy a third, it's a bread knife. And get two cutting boards, one for meat, one for veg.

Pic related, they're paring knives.

You're fucking stupid.

Pot, pan, chef's knife, chopping board, wooden spoon, ladle.
Stuff you should always have:
Cooking oil (preferably something like sunflower oil or refined olive oil if you plan on doing lots of pan-frying)
Rice/Quinoa/Bulghur/Pasta/Couscous
Beans/Lentils
Spices and herbs
Make lots of stews and soups. Save the leftovers and eat them during the rest of the week.

Stupid, and not eating blood in my food from trying to cut food in my hand.

For the love of christ, it's a paring knife.

>You can cut a lot of vegetables in your hand safely with a small pairing knife or pocket knife.

Sure, but why would you want to? That takes ages and carries the risk of cutting yourself.

Microwave safe tupperware
aluminum foil
a cast iron skillet
a baking sheet
a pot for rice or pasta
a collander
a paring knife
a regular kitchen knife
tongs
spatula
large spoon

That's just what I use the most, but here's the infographic

These people are helpless and probably living on the street.

youtube.com/watch?v=o28yI1XTQQU

pretty much just vegetables, sausage, pasta, potatoes
but i fucking hate boiled potatoes and boiled sausage

You're telling me you've never stood over a pot with a vegetable in one hand and a knife in the other, dropping in chunks as you safely cut them away? Both my grandparents did it their entire lives, and I do it too. We must live in very different worlds, bud.

I don't understand your slang

are you talking about this shit?

reddit.com/r/CampfireCooking/

Sure, I did that when I first started learning how to cook.

Then I learned how much faster it is to use a chef's knife with a cutting board and I've never looked back.

Go to walmart and buy a 60 count crate of eggs. About 5-6 dollars where i live. Eggs last for a few months in the fridge.

You do that if you're a hobo without a counter. All you need is a rigid corpse as a cutting board. No one has "palmed vegetables" since ww1. Or when they were in extremis.

Don't do this OP, he's trolling. 60-count eggs are for giant baking projects and polygamous Mormons.

I said in my original post to get a chef's knife if you want to chop up onions or do any other kind of knife work. But sure, go ahead and conveniently ignore that part.

Bottom line, if you're trying to make ready-to-eat meals like in OP's picture, a small knife is extremely practical and useful.

Rice cooker with a steamer is great. When I meal prep I season my rice well, and then cook the veggies on top. It gives great flavor to the veggies as well.

Side note, when I meal prep chicken I can't really enjoy it after heating it up again. How do you cook chicken so it's still good, days later?

It's so easy to put rice in a rice cooker and sear a piece of chicken that I don't even bother. My take on meal prep is having all the veggies and meat cut up and ready to cook.

doesn't even need to be in the fridge for at least the first month.
Easter eggs last longer btw. like years. the power of jesus ;)