Latinoamerican lit general

Hey Veeky Forums I just made this chart, what do you think? anything missing?

(all of this is from the 20s tho -except Dario-, that's why Sor Juana and Machado aren't there)

Also latinoamerican lit general.

I like it

bumperino

I don't like it

I think it's good enough.

I would only change Carpentier's book for "The Kingdom of this World".

Also include Neruda, either Canto General, Residencia en la Tierra, or 20 poems of love and a song of despair, and Felisberto Hernandez, who was one of the great short story writers of the last century. Also Antonio di Benedetto's Zama.

In any case, you should include only one work of each author, as introduction to their ouvre. So for Bolaño just keep The Savage Detectives, for Vargas Llosa keep Conversations, and for GGM keep One Hundred Years.

Add this one. The true prequel of the Chilean miners meme. (Also really good Naturalism).

what borges should i start out with?

Not bad, desu.

Sor Juana is fuckin lit, maybe it's worth including Antonio di Benedetto's Zama? I'm Anglo so pretty limited but Zama is seriously good, as intense as The Tunnel with the kind of lush landscape of Marquez.

get the Collected Fictions and read it all in the presented order

The Aleph, methinks. For being dense in forms it is a rather smooth and relatively easy read. Labyrinths are cool.

I don't see Love in Times of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez Reverte, Blindness by Saramago.

Not with the Brodie Report, fuck that.

>Blindness by Saramago.

>implying

Are YOU implying Saramago was latin-american?

>Latinoamerican
>Saramago

nope

Reverte and Saramago are not latinoamerican mate, and One Hundred Years and The Autumn of the Patriarch are far superior to the Love in Times of Cholera.

Either Fictions or The Aleph are good places to start, they both are considered his magnus opus (for a good reason), when you done with that, I suggest you go for The Book of Sand and Shakespeare's Memory, the last one IMO is a perfect work that doesn't get the recognition it should.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I also think "The Kingdom of this World" is more iconic in the academia for all the Real Wonderful stuff, but I just find Explosion in a Cathedral (El siglo de las luces) a better book in general (in fact, his best).

Zama is a must indeed and definitely missing, you also made me think of Saer as another one missing. Didn't read Felisberto unfortunately, what would you recommend of his work (as canon)? Also Neruda Canto General is in there.

Well, for Felisberto Hernandez you can choose a collection of his short stories in English, any collection would work I guess.

Didn't see Neruda there the first time, my bad.

Also, include Augusto Monterroso, he's the huy who wrote "Y cuando desperto, el dinosaurio seguía ahí". For him, you can choose "Complete Works (and Other Stories)" and/or "The Black Sheep and other Fables".

missing the greatest latin american novel, Devil to Pay in the Backlands

Great contributions mate! Will add them in the next chart.

You should arrange the books so that books by the same author are next to each other. Perhaps dividing them according to nationality would be good.

add the madman ibarguengotia

Unrelated, but should I give Allende a chance? A friend likes her stuff.

THIS

Not worth it.
Read Elena Garro instead, she's an amazing author and absolute madwoman

God tier

>Cortázar
>not Rayuela
hmm

Red April by Santiago Roncagliolo

No, it's total shit. She tries to write like Garcia Marquez and evel steal the plots, but it is utter trash.

It's the 4th book in the chart, what are you talking about?

Ew, mean to reply to

>no Dross

Shit list, desu

I wonder if she writes.

She does. Look it up.

Maria Luisa Bombal you goddamn phillistines.

>for Bolaño just keep The Savage Detectives
YOUR MEMES SHALL NOT PASS

Shit choice for Cortázar senpai. Dayuela may be his more influential work, but his short stories are far superior.
>Felisberto Hernandez
Seconding

Has anyone read this?

Cons:
Been being very positively reviewed in every liberal arts and culture publication.
Written by hole

Pros:
Looks really interesting.

I would argue "La Ciudad y los Perros" should be the book representing Vargas Llosa.

Besides that, pretty good.

As an introduction to his work, you dumbass, not as his only valuable work.

Great list user, kudos

>latinoamerican
Ya mean spanish speaking latin america, otherwise Lispector and Guimarães would be there.
desu

if thats the case, where is os sertoes

The Time of the Hero = La ciudad y los perros

>Written by hole
Are you saying the author is a hole?

Needs some Brazilian stuff:
-The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas/Epitaph of a Small Winner by Machado de Assis
- The Passion According to G.H. by Clarice Lispector
- The Devil to Pay in the Backlands by Guimarães Rosa