Hummus

Just made my first batch of hummus today and thought I'd drop by Veeky Forums for the first time too. Anyone else here make their own hummus? What's your recipe? How do you eat it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine
seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/12/homemade-fermented-sauerkraut-recipe.html
makesauerkraut.com/fermented-pickles/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Soak 225g dry chickpeas in bicarb-spiked water overnight.
Drain.
Wash thoroughly.
Pressure cook 30 minutes at high pressure.
Allow pot to depressurise on its own.
Drain.
Allow chickpeas to cool.
Mash with clean hands.
>not necessary, but some like it: force mash through sieve to catch skins for smoother results
Whip mash with 5 pasted garlic cloves, a quarter cup/60ml olive oil, 5tbsp of sesame paste (roasted or white, up to you) and juice of 1 lemon.
Stir in lots of fresh cut parsley.
Salt to taste and serve.
Made some for lunch today, actually. Sort of. After I finished it, I was wondering why it tasted 'different.' Turns out, I forgot the lemon. Oops.
Ate it with soft, pan-cooked flatbread not too different from naan (khoubz taboun) as well as a fennel salad and a tomato salad. With vinegar, cuz I'm not a muzzie.
t. LebAnon

sounds good, might try to make this without the pressure cooker part, cause i don't own one.

Jesus fucking Christ I've got a long ways to go...

>Can of chickpeas
>Drain
>Repeatedly fill can with water and drain to 'rince' the chickpeas
>Mash on a plate with a fork
>No garlic though would have used powdered if I had some
>1/4 cup vegetable oil
>1/4 cup tahini
>abt. 2tbsp store-bought lemon juice
>1/2-1 tsp salt
>Fair bit of black pepper
>Mix it all (In my defence, even though I basically just used a fork, it turns out relatively smooth)

The flatbread sounds wicked, so far I've just tried it on toast. I hear veggies go good with it, and I'll see about getting some vinegar to try with it too. I plan on adding garlic powder next time around, perhaps also cumin and/or paprika since that seems like common additives. But yeah, I imagine it would taste significantly different without lemon. Overall the process of making it, though rustic to say the least, was quite enjoyable. I definitely look forward to making more. For now, I've put it all in an empty and clean margarine tub for storage in the fridge. I hear it's good for about 3-5 days, so I guess it'll be good until August 9th-11th or so. No way it'll last that long; too tasty, well, by my standards anyways.

t. Canadian

Also, glad to hear you're not Muslim. We've been having more and more trouble with them in the west. For being a 'religion of peace' they sure do talk about war/conflict/distrust a lot in the Quran, which I've read a bit of just out of curiosity. They sure don't like Jews, and aren't too fond of Christians either, even though they claim Christ is a prophet of Islam.

chickpeas
fresh garlic
olive oil
oregano
sesame oil (right, no tahini)
salt
pepper
lemon juice

>long ways to go
Nah. Working women in Lebanon (IE cityfolk) make it with canned chickpeas or just buy it out somewhere, already made. I make it from dry cuz that's how my family make it. And nope, not a Muzzie. Nearly half of Lebanon is Christian. You shoulda seen my grandmother flip her shit when she heard Pope JP2 was visiting Jounieh and Daraoun. Priests and Cardinals and Popes are basically rockstars to that part of Lebanon.
>in the west
Eh, I'm a westerner, too. Should've qualified it that I'm 2nd gen Leb and mixed with nonLeb background, too. Dad was born in Brooklyn.

Also, first time I mentioned Daraoun to friends, they said that it sounds like a Star Wars location, which kinda makes sense cuz Tatooine is an actual place in Arabland (Tunisia, I think).

I always make a batch of hummus when I make these sesame lavash. I just puree a couple cups of chickpeas with 1/2 cup tahini, a few glugs EVOO, a few cloves of garlic, lemon juice, paprika and garnish with fresh parsley if I have any.

Thanks for the understanding. I dare say I'll switch over to dry chickpeas someday; should have a longer shelf life and perhaps are also cheaper. Ought to be healthier as well. Glad to hear almost half of Lebanon is Christian, that's great, seems to be a far more peaceful and tolerant religion than Islam. Hopefully Lebanese Christians don't have to pay Jizyah tax.

My family has been in North America for about 150-200 years, depending on which side you look. The vast majority of my lineage is from the British Isles, Ireland and England specifically. Pretty much over 95% of my genes. Might have a sprinkle of French in there somewhere but only 3 confirmed ancestors, two of which date back around 400 years. In short, pretty fuckin' white. Possibly the most schizophrenic race on the planet, considering the incredible amount of wars we wage on ourselves, including the two bloodiest wars in human history; WWI and WWII, which were largely (though of course not solely) fought in Europe. Though in a way, the Napoleonic Wars could almost be considered the first World War. Anyhow, cool stuff, can't say I've got any American heritage that I know of. Pretty much went straight from Britain to The Canadas and stayed here in the early-mid 1800s. Ever tried moose meat? Fucking delicious...

Sounds grand, gonna have to try some paprika in mine next time, though I don't think I ever really had paprika before.

HAH! Is it really? That's hilarious! I also recall that one of the main roads (if not THE main road) in Libya's capital is Al Shat. Well I hope Al had a good shit!

Well, my dad's half American and my mother is from central Europe (mishmash of various ethnicities from around the Dinaric Alps with some distant Greek parentage thrown in for no reason). Depending how you cut it, I can be complete wog or indiscernibly white. Dad, however, looks like a fat Saddam Hussein.
I grew up in EU and US.
>eaten moose
Nope. I've had ibex, tho.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine
Star Wars was actually filmed there, I hear.

LOL a fat Saddam Hussein, that's awesome. Ibex meat sounds pretty cool, I hunted Ibex in the game theHunter, pretty fun by the way, and free to play though to actually get to check out all the maps and use any of the actually good firearms you basically HAVE to pay. The amount of grinding you'd have to get to access more is ridiculous, but in my opinion if you like hunting and/or firearms whatsoever, the game is easily worth $10 just to get some of the fun stuff, and once I found it to be worth far more I didn't feel bad about paying another $30-40 to unlock a bunch of rifles, a revolver, a longbow, as well as some clothes/equipment. Seems like a very realistic game.

Thinking back to that miserable 1st Starwars movie, yeah, Tataouine does kinda look like Tatooine. Pretty funny!

The only times I made hummus I was on a friend's farm in Hawaii and used boiled jackfruit seeds and macadamia nut oil.

I used it as the base for salad dressing and add it to roux for smothering cooked greens. Spreads and dips, can put it in stews for something creamy but lower calorie.

Mix it with sun-dried tomato, roasted bell pepper and herbamere for an excellent side dish/spread/condiment.

Hummus seems to be an exceedingly flexible food, lots of space for additions and replacements. Having finally made it for the first time, I definitely will be making it more in the future. Got plenty of vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and still quite a lot of lemon juice and tahini left. All I need is another can of chickpeas and a pack of garlic powder (been meaning to pick one up for months, moved not long ago) and I can make a new batch that will be even better than the old one due to the addition of garlic powder (perhaps also paprika and cumin? They'll be spices I've never experimented with before in my life).

A shame though; a little jar of tahini and a little bottle of lemon juice is nearly $8. Granted the lemon (less than $2) will be good for two batches of hummus and the tahini ($6) will be good for about four. $1.50 of tahini per batch, and about $0.90 of lemon juice per batch... and each batch provides something like a pound of hummus, so I'd say that's still quite reasonable all things considered. Vegetable oil is cheap as fuck, chickpeas is very cheap, salt/pepper is dirt cheap, garlic powder will be cheap... yup! Hummus is bloody healthy and blood worth the effort! Next thing I'm planning to make is sauerkraut, been over a year but I remember the process. That stuff is AMAZING on hotdogs and apparently really good for healthy gut flora too! Also combats scurvy.

Canned chickpeas
Lemon juice
Lemon zest
Fresh garlic
Cilantro
Paprika
Cumin
Salt
Olive oil
Tahini
Food processor.
Jalapeno

Fukken lit senpai.

Here's what I did about a year ago

>one can of chickpeas (yes, a can)
>strain and dump into blender
>add chopped garlic
>quickly 'bake' (i.e. fry in a pan without any oil, just keep mixing) sesame seeds and add those
>throw in some dried parsley, salt, black pepper, lemon juice
>cap of extra virgin olive oil
>blend - too chunky
>add water, blend - too watery
>add a bit of butter and blend at lower level for passable consistency

Not bad. I would have peeled the chickpeas for maximum smoothness, which is the reason I don't make hummus all that often. That step is a bitch, but it makes the result so much better.

Tahini is your friend.

Fucking jalapeno?!... I don't think jalapeno in hummuh sounds particularly good but on the whole I LOVE jalapeno! I like your style... will give it consideration in the future...

There's a brand of hommus in Aus that comes with 'garnishes' pre-added to it and one of them is jalapenos. I wasn't sure the first time I bought it but it fucking works. Definitely recommend.

If you force the mash through a sieve, you don't have to peel it. It's less labour-intensive that way. Try it.

My body is ready... actually got some readers in Australia, pretty fucking cool, except for the fuck-huge spiders. One fellow ended up with a 4" huntsman on the ceiling of his car, above that sun-visor panel thing above the passenger side seat in which his wife was sitting. Impressively, she managed to tell him to pull the vehicle over as soon as possible instead of freaking the fuck out at the huge legs reaching out... 'Straya is terrifying...

Still enjoying the hummus, next time around I'm going to add garlic powder and I think also some paprika but I'll see what my budget can allow. If I get paprika I'd have to look up what I can use it with, if it can be used just like black pepper or whatever. I gotta say though, I'm curious... toast, butter, home made hummus, and topped with home made sauerkraut. I think that sounds pretty damn good but only time will tell. Hopefully my next trip to the grocery store will have me coming back with cabbage and sea salt. Already got several glass containers that I can use for fermenting, perhaps I'll try using a whole cabbage and making several jars worth. What's the shelf life for unrefrigerated sauerkraut again? Around 3 months or so? Pretty sure if it's refrigerated after it's reached a desired point of fermentation then it might even last 6 months to a year if I'm not mistaken so it's not like it'd go bad, but even if it did... it's cabbage and sea salt lol Not exactly rare luxury items there.

I'd like to try making my own sea salt sometime, boiling sea water down until it's a salty slurry then putting it out on large pans to let the Sun finished the job. Hopefully next summer I'll be all set to try it out. Anyone else here make their own sauerkraut? 10 internets to anyone who actually made it with cabbage they grew themselves as well as sea salt they processed themselves. That's something that's on my bucket list for sure...

Oh yeah, shit, and jalapenos. I gotta pick some up and try it with the hummus... I love jalapenos to no end. Though I've learned the hard way that it's unwise to go from chopping jalapenos to taking a piss after only running your hands briefly under some water. Not enough; your dick WILL burn.

Canned chickpeas, fresh garlic, olive oil, tahini, citrus juice, no pepper, salt, maybe some coriander. Mix everything in a food processor.

Dress with more olive oil and paprika. Serve with either libanese bread or vegetables (lettuce, radish, celery...).

I eat re-fried beans, does that count?

You can freeze hummus well enough, even better if you make a batch made for freezing with little to no oil.
Adding water can make the hummus lighter in colour and taste.
Just don't overmix olive oil, turns bitter if you do.

You can use the lemon and tahini for more mediterranian stuff, like babaganouj (while we're talking cloggy sauces).

I use this exact brand.

>1 can chick peas
>1/2 cup tahini
>1/4 cup olive oil
>juice of one lemon
>salt and black pepper
>2 fresh garlic cloves
>1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
>1 teaspoon parsley

Open can of chick peas, drain liquid into bowl. Put peas in food processor with tahini, oil, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth, add chick pea liquid back in bit by bit to adjust consistency. Add seasonings gradually and more chick pea liquid as needed.

>A shame though; a little jar of tahini and a little bottle of lemon juice is nearly $8
sesame seeds and lemons are cheaper

I make my sauerkraut from cabbages I grow but no ocean near me to collect sea water from. Deduct 5 points, I guess. I used this recipe this year and it's the best I've made in 5 years.

seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/12/homemade-fermented-sauerkraut-recipe.html

I don't much like freezing food if I can avoid doing so. Interesting points however. I might see about picking up a small bottle of olive oil sometime but it's so bloody expensive, just going to stick with vegetable oil for the time being.

You use twice as much tahini as I do, sounds like an awesome recipe though! Parsley, pretty sure that's common where I am, ought to be affordable.

Sorry, not going to even try attempting to make my own tahini, but I may very well start using fresh lemons if it's sufficiently cheaper. A small bottle only lasts two batches anyways, so really, might as well use my own lemons. I may very well start making a batch of hummus once a week or potentially more. Fun little passtime while making it, EXTREMELY healthy, EXTREMELY tasty, and I consider it well worth the cost of the ingredients even if I still think the price of tahini is unfortunate, but hey, I get about four batches worth per $6 jar. I'll live.

Ooo, is that home made dill pickle? The site seems pretty awesome, but I like to keep things very simple. No spices; just cabbage and salt. Made two batches of sauerkraut before as I recall, looking forward making more. Also made hardtack before as well, on several occasions. I've got some that I made in 2015 or so, still good!

>homemade dill pickle

Yeah, I went crazy this year with the fermenting instead of vinegar brines like I used to do. These were full sours I fermented for 1 week and I swear to god I'll never go back to vinegar brines for pickles. I've already eaten that entire jar, lol, and have started on another. Way above vinegar, imho. As much shit as people give this Chinese bear bile harvesting board, it got me into fermenting vegetables.

*forgot to post site I used for the pickle brine calculations.

makesauerkraut.com/fermented-pickles/

Just the meat. I dont add the seeds. Its nice and sweet and combined with the nuttiness of the tahini and the tangy lemon zest it's breddy gud.