If you are dreaming and in your dream encounter a random number, is that number truly random?

If you are dreaming and in your dream encounter a random number, is that number truly random?

if you are out wandering and you come across a number is that number truly random?

Truly random with human perception is pretty philosophical. I dont really think there is a definite answer here.

There is no such thing as 'truly random'. Probability exists in the mind only.

While I see the merit in your point I suppose the question I'm really asking is can human beings genuinely create a random number

Fun fact: you can not read in dreams. I've had dreams of me looking at words on a page, but each word was created as I went along. Eventually I figured out that I was guessing what word would be next, and thus creating it myself in a weird lucid auto correct.

If you see a number in it's written form, it is because you thought of it, not that it came out of the ether. I wouldn't worry about why anyone dreams anything, you forget almost everything, so who cares what happens? Right guys?

well still, what is random?
"made, done, happening, or chosen without method or conscious decision."

REALLY, i cant say. Because i cannot *prove*(or even reference research) that there is a mechanism for how dreams work.

I think that just like most everything we see, behind the scenes we will find fundamental processes(bad word?) that govern every aspect of our dreams.
So technically, i don't think we can produce a random number in our dreams, I think the components come from somewhere, i think they are assembled into something, and i think our perception is a result of that.

Could you wake up with a number or idea in your head that has seemingly no bearing on your life? Sure, i have dreams like that occasionally, real scifi or abstract, but i still think there is a method that causes these ideas to come about.

And that's what i ment by philosophy. Because "random"(non mathematical sense) is more relative to your current state than anything.

Ex. You find a ping pong ball on the moon - Weird random event
But later when you return to earth you find out some nimrod spent his life savings building something that could launch a single ping pong ball safety to the moon.(Btw if you didnt notice you are now an astronaut)

quantum mechanics is by most definitions truly random.

>Fun fact: you can not read in dreams.
source
seriously, it may explain why I sometimes dream things that would mean my brain is delaying effects.

Yes, by measuring times between radioactive decays in a sample.

A more practical method would use the result in a double slit experiment.

Assuming there is a set of possible numbers you could have seen, and some probability of seeing each number in the set, then yes.

A lot of it depends on how you define random, though. Ie it could be the case that the set of possible numbers you could have seen has a really degenerate probability distribution, with a 90% chance you seen the number 10, a 9% chance you see the number 25, and a 1% chance you see any other positive integer. A random draw from this distribution wouldn't be what most people consider a "random number," but it's still random I some sense of the word.

How is that more practical? What exactly do you measure?

That's probably just because we don't fully understand it, though.

>Fun fact: you can not read in dreams.
Non-fun phony myth actually. You are perfectly capable of reading in dreams.

HOW do I make BIG cums in my SLEEP?

>implying the wavefunction collapses

kolmogorov complexity

I'm pretty sure you'll have that number in your subconscious so it would've come from somewhere, which means it can't be truly random. I don't have any actual knowledge on the subject so I can't prove my theory.

only if the numbers are uniformly distributed

>encounter a random number, is that number truly random
by assumption, yes it is random.
QED

no such thing as "random".

>what are pilot waves
baka ur 2 stupid 4 sci

>Probability exists in the mind only
Dreams exist in the mind only. So dream numbers are truly random.

>encounter a random number, is that number truly random?

If you know it is random, why ask?
If you don't know it is random, don't call it random.

>implying the only states of being are either knowledge of X or knowledge of ~X
you're not very bright, are you?

Everything in the universe is random.

How is one number "random"?
Say a process results in a random output of a member from a set that includes our number. This number thus could be the output of a random process. Outputs of processes can be random, not a number itself, unless you count the digits of a number being a random set themselves.