Do you guys crucify words?

Do you guys crucify words?

Are you any good at it? Can you do a Saturday NYT?

I really love it. Never tried it in english though, I stick to my native language. The most interesting ones are definitely the ones with plays on words rather than precious vocabulary. I also wonder how this could be used to teach students how to improve their prose, that's one of my objectives can but I can't find a good approach.

>crucify words

>crucify words
What means this?

>crucify words

FUNNY picture

I don't do crosswords, mainly because they use too much pop culture. If it were some other type of culture.

>NYT
USA Today's crossword puzzle is actually better than the NYT's crossword puzzle unless you love pop culture.

Kek

My ability to recall specific words at will is so damn terrible.

>Dogs eat...5 letters
>errr, fuck it, candy?

I kicked the habit, because my methodless way was haplessly literary. Have an acquaintance who constructs and can solve the most difficult puzzles in less than ten mins entirely through deduction. This disheartened me. My record on a Sat NYT was, however, less than an hour: 58mins. Pleasurable times a few years ago meeting up with a friend and knocking out the Sunday Times and Mag Post in less than an hour at a nearby coffee shop. He got married and moved away. Now, I'm post-Cruciverbalist..

I do crosswords during breakfast and Lunch and in my spare time. I have rarely touched an NYT crossword.

I'm not that good at them since I'm working on like 4 at the moment.

dogs eat dicks

I do the WSJ one sometimes but it's tough. I usually only finish it with two other people helping me, unless it's a really easy one.

I do

If you guys like crosswords, check Milorad Pavic's Landscape Painted with Tea.

Also, Perec wrote crosswords through his whole life, both as a job and as a hobby.

>it's a "complete absence of clues with objective answers, but instead a series of clues that can only be answered for certain if some letters are already filled in" episode

We'll to crucify is to make like a cross. Acrostics, cruciverbalizations, cross-words

>doing New York Times Saturday crossword
>15 Across: Second adjutant to the Gran Sasso raid
>17 Down: These bloom in Kyrgyzstan in midsummer
>18 Across: Wife of "I Love Lucy" producer
>14 Down: 1960s Congressman responsible for bee legislation
>what the fuck
>look to the riddle/contextual clues
>23 Across: Something a cat might say
>26 Down: You might wear one in winter
>get frustrated
>give up
>click solve puzzle
>23 Across answer: MEOWIMHUNGRYANDORANGEFEEDMELOL
>26 Down answer: PARTYHATIFSOMEONEYOUKNOWHASTHEIRBIRTHDAYINWINTER

Fuck off.

Crosswords are a whole literary genre on its own, with different writers having each their own prose and habits. Only pleb-tier crosswords require "culture" or elaborate vocabulary. Good crosswords rely on plays with words and are much closer to other kinds of games than a culture quiz. I don't know about newspapers' crosswords, but as some user said, Perec knew how to do it right. I'll check Milorad Pavic.

Anywhere I can get the Perec crosswords, my dude?

If you see a question mark at the end of a clue, don't expect anything less than being thoroughly angered by the solution

Well I guess you can order his "Mots croisés" from Amazon, but I doubt there's a translation. "Mots croisés" seem to be a collection of the various ones he made. There's also "Perec/rinations" that contains 20 small grids, each related to one district of Paris.