Can we discuss this?

Can we discuss this?

I just read it, and my mind is reeling.

So first of all, "water" is pretty obviously Marxist false consciousness, a.k.a. Ideology, but there's also Buddhist stuff in there, and I'm just trying to figure out what all he meant. Obviously the speech is very complicated, so much meaning in such a short text, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

It means "just be your self but also like, be nice and stuff." That's the best you're gonna get, OP.

>pretty obviously Marxist false consciousness
>also Buddhist stuff
>also

3/10 sorry

looks like you got some replies though

he literally tells the reader what it means in the last handful of sentences

honestly it just feels like a rationalization of capitalism to me. like yeah if im coming home from work and i gotta buy groceries in a crowded store, the last thing i want to do is be "training my brain" to see the goodness and sacredness in this situation. like, lets call a spade a spade. miserable workers just like me trying to get some food to eat. its disgusting, what can i do about it?

either way, my first thought when he mentioned waiting in line at the checkout was that id just get out my phone and browse Veeky Forums, or maybe listen to an audiobook or a lecture or some music. this speech was given. in 2005, so it makes sense that he wouldnt have thought of that.
all it really does is reminds me how much smartphones have changed everyday life, and i appreciate their ability to mitigate boredom a lot more. so in that way it does have a positive effect on me.

Don't sweat the small stuff, live and let live, be nice to people.

heads up: he stole this from Mcluhan.
Also, half the DFW "fans" dont realize this was just an amalgamation of sections in the pale king and IJ, but obviously most havent actually read those.

>be from eastern Europe
>real capitalism didn't exist until the 90's
>never was a brainless consumerist
>never went mad because of materialism
>still to poor to have that problem
>can't relate to this dfw guy
>what the hell did he mean by this
>what the hell is water

>be from Africa
>what the hell is water

>anytime I'm remotely uninterested in what's happening I start clicking on my smartphone

You are the end of days.

>he stole this from Mcluhan
Keep going my man.

>dfw wouldn't have thought to listen to music or an audiobook or a lecture in 2005
You're really a very silly person.

ee

exactly
it was awesome

You're trolling or this is the one of the most farthest off base readings of a work I've ever encountered.

you didn't actually READ this did you?
I especially hope you didn't buy this "book".

No, really: What IS water?

>threatened to kill myself
>sister sends me This Is Water on facebook

Skim read the essay and it seemed mostly bullshit. Meh.

>threatened to kill myself

why?

How to Live
by
A Guy Who Killed Himself

>what can i do about it?
not a god damned thing. have fun being a tough guy realist when you're 35 and really realize that

What's your point?

What's your point?

Now isn't THAT ironic.

You're so dumb he literally says what he means all the time. A child could understand this