Is Christianity the best religion to do the leap of faith into and rediscover spirituality and love once more?

Is Christianity the best religion to do the leap of faith into and rediscover spirituality and love once more?

Other urls found in this thread:

biblehub.com/luke/22-36.htm
biblehub.com/luke/22-50.htm
biblehub.com/luke/22-51.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah dude go for it

Yes, but there's no reason to treat it like some disgusting Calvinist self-negation either. Don't listen to dissolutionist Buddhists, Islamists, or Calvinists. Look for the truth with an open heart and you'll start to see bits of it poking up at you amid the surf of grayness.

Christian atheism is the best choice. At once living by tradition and virtue but without the necessary self-deception and struggle of faith.

I predict within our lifetimes we will see lifestyle theism become the norm.

No, the best religion to take the leap of faith is your own.

Meaning and Truth is found on all religions, and most religions hold a correct (though limited) way of viewing God and Creation.

Jesus didn't come here to make a trillionaire world-encompassing Church. He came here to *show* us how to treat others and love like He did.

Christianity is a good "lifestyle spirituality" imo - if you just want something to provide a moral and mythical structure to your life, to enhance social bonding and provide some emotional support, Christianity is probably a good choice.

If you're looking for a deeper spiritual experience, Christianity unfortunately doesn't have much to offer.

why do you need a formal religion to discover love and spirituality? why christianity in particular?

>within our lifetimes
at the current rate of ideological arms race within the esoteric/literate *chan-twitter-reddit sphere, you can expect it to happen within the next few months

christianity is rich in spirituality but you should heed its inherent cuckoldry. the problem is if you do so itll become so watered down that you are better of heading east. i care little about freud but his analysis of christianity as a manifestation of neurosis is spot on.

>rich in spirituality
>a religion that teaches that God is silent

Love the Christ, hate the Church. Form your own system, lest you be enslaved by another's. Beware of single vision and Newton's Sleep.

The neuteredness of christianity is what turns me away so much. How about a non cuck religion to follow?

no, christianity is gay as fuck

basically any religion is cooler, try islam

>literally autism
biblehub.com/luke/22-36.htm

Stop being a theist retard and embrace Theravada.

If you had the capability to read on,
biblehub.com/luke/22-50.htm
jesus is such a cuck that he not only stops the fight, but puts this dude's ear back together
biblehub.com/luke/22-51.htm

Yeah, but specifically Catholicism. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool and a slanderer.

>rediscover spirituality and love once more
why would you want to do that you weak willed bitchboi

sure dude why not
then when you get a bit bored and realise it's all a crock of shit, or your goldfishlike attention span wanes, at least you won't get beheaded for apostasy

>tfw no red army gf

>tfw no N A Z B O L gang gf

Goddammit stop giving evangelicals a monopoly on the nature of conversion. Conversion is a many years process at least. And it can certainly be intellectual as opposed to emotional. I rather think its reckless to "fake it till you make it" in religion.

Who is this QT

>Conversion is a many years process at least
fuck off with that bullshit

>And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?” And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him.

It takes time to appreciate God, and none can ever do it fully while in this mortal coil (save Jesus); however conversion takes but a moment.

>If you're looking for a deeper spiritual experience, Christianity unfortunately doesn't have much to offer.

Bullshit.

because, as a consequence of the social contract, the state's exercise of force is legitimate and not subject to retaliation. Jesus was truly just from the first.

The right of rebellion is not something to take lightly

>But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Dude, if youre converting from a non religious background, you decide to practice "religion" (like op) THEN find a denomination/specific religion.

That process is a hellish nightmare of searching, and id happily say it takes years at least.

The danger is that you haphazardly get baptized, then get cold feet, that you do this several times in several churches/religions and end up getting more confused than before, or giving up under the push-pull go-stop strain.

Theres also the danger of finding the religion you practice is the wrong one, 20 years down the road.

>this one exceptionally holy and completely devoted dude got stigmata

On the contrast, many more religions teach that God is anything but silent to true followers. He is knowable and reachable personally, not some far-away unknowable deity.

Christianity is so shit at what normies call mysticism.Their level is just above the secular humanists which means just above nothing or taking drugs. Christians already do not really go deep in meditation but they even fail to expose clearly the steps and they mix all what they experience with ''feeling the energy of god'' for the few christians who speculate than humans cannot become god.

I can make your dream come true

Francis, and the rest of the saints, are models for us to follow. If you do it right, if you're truly devoted to God, then you, too can have actual experiences with him. He isn't unknowable, but he wants true believers, not just 'interested' people.

you're conflating a valid with an invalid concern

the denominational thing is stupid. I've been a Christian my entire life and still don't know where I stand on that issue. No way in hell is someone outside of the faith going to be able to answer that question without some kind of divine aid.

You either believe in (and follow) the Christian God or you don't, and the moment that you start following him you are a member of the Body.

No denomination requires you get baptized a second time as far as I'm aware except the Roman Catholic.

This petty division of the Church over issues such as infant baptism is satanic, and the fact that people fret so much over it is rather worrying. We risk becoming like the Pharisees, rather than allowing ourselves to be transformed by God's love. There is nothing wrong with a simple faith, and if one clings to Jesus understanding will follow.

If you think you believe in God literally just start going to Church, praying, and reading the Bible as you feel compelled to; and everything will fall into place.

Yes I know and agree with you

But when I took Cathecism courses, when I went to Catholic HS, in Church, and in many parts of the Bible, I was always taught that God was this Supreme Deity so far above us He's unknowable.
Which is why the West is as it is, since the Church took over, teaching that God is knowable only through what the Church tells you, only through what the Priest tells you. Of course instane moneygrabbing opportunity, and thus was conceived what is now the trillionaire globalized Church.

I'm not saying Christianity's teachings are bad. While many of my beliefs differ from Christianity, I still believe Jesus is the best role model to follow. I'm saying Christianity is a good belief system badly applied into a religion.

I more or less agree on denominations as per Christianity, but I can state for sure that my belief in God has gradually emerged over several years, and has developed prior to my converting to any tradition. I ended up chasing rabbit holes through the writings of many different religious authors from diverse traditions.

What about Islam, Judaism, or even Buddhism? From my current position, having decided modernity is vile, these appear to be potential responses to modernity.

Abraham Joshua Heschel said Gods either the God of everyone or hes not God at all. Now, how to reach him? How to pray? In a mosque or a church?

That question is extremely hard for me. It doesnt help having lots of brilliant, well spoken members of different traditions beckoning, at all.

Interfaith complicates faith for everyone, but for the prospective convert detatched from any family-mediated tradition, its an impenetrable tangle.

Jesus is God, and I find Jesus very knowable. That's his whole point, to be the bridge between Heaven and Earth.

If you seek God sincerely He reveals Himself to you. But you must also learn to listen, as He speaks in very mysterious ways.

That's where our beliefs differ, as I don't believe Jesus is God

In my opinion,
This misunderstanding has caused a lot of problems, as Jesus came not to show us God but to teach us how to know God and how to love God and His Creation.
Jesus never meant for us to worship Him, or at least not as much compared to Jesus' Father, the Creator.

>I predict within our lifetimes we will see hypocritical lip service become the norm.
Lord, I hope not.

Im trying to learn to see the world as gods creation rather than mans domain and ultimate context, if thats what you mean.

>raised Catholic
>I don't believe Jesus is God
POTTERY

Being raised Catholic and believing what Catholicism believes are different things

It is not unusual to alter your beliefs as you grow

It's a meme at this point but Christianity is the only religion which offers grace.

All religions recognize our failings, and most recognize our ability to do penance or otherwise atone, but no other boldly declares that when we repent we are forgiven.

Jesus is the difference.

You sound like a Muslim or Atheist. Jesus is everything my man and it's taken me years to appreciate even a tiny fraction of how incredible he is.

nah man, go for aztec blood cult, its the only sincere form of spirituality for the 21st century.

this is you trying to fit in by being edgy

A Creator God is naturally all-forgiving.

Natural religion, intellectually mediated, as opposed to being mediated by the sublime, poses a great risk for modern man given his position of accepted moral autonomy. That is, we are liable to trick ourselves into thinking we pursue it even as our lives do not change. Thats not religion at all, its sentimentality that washes away fears about death doing evil, or going to Hell.

Srī ķrsna is the only god worth believing

Is that from Ivanovo Detstvo?

The right answer is to turn to things like art, literature, cinema

Is there anything wrong with Christian mysticism? I have a great appreciation of Judeo-Christian history and aesthetics (used in a literary sense), but have always found Protestantism's lack of spiritual/mystical/philosophical exploration a turn off, coming from a Buddhist. Christian Mysticism seems to have the best of both worlds from my limited understanding, but I virtually never seen it talked about. Why is that?

Where to begin if you love the spirit but loathe the dogma?

>Is there anything wrong with Christian mysticism?
Not really however as far as the Church bodies are concerned that is something for a tiny group of monastics to worry about.

The closest you will get the laity being engaged in mysticism is repeating a certain prayer repeatedly (generally as a form of punishment) and occasionally fasting.

Its kind of sad that you need to go back 800 years to find a good example of Christian mysticism. Think of the modern mystics and think of the role they play in the Church and with the laity

Protestantism gets an undeservedly bad reputation on Veeky Forums. I imagine this has everything to do with the English speaking world, particularly America, being majority protestant and so anons play to their natural contrarianism.

Really protestantism is pretty cool. I really like their ideas about having a personal relationship with god and objections to systematic church tradition. Not that the state churches established during the reformation were any better, but really Kierkegaard got it right. Christianity ought to be a very personal thing and a way of life rather than an organization to submit to.

With Kierkegaard (assuming you haven't already read him) you'll find no lack of protestant spiritual and philosophical exploration.

No, that would be agnosticism.

That would be Judaism.

>b-but I don't want to snip by foreskin and dedicate my life to following hundreds of rules
Are you serious about it or not?

Yeah, that's exactly right.

Tarkovsky's spirituality is absolutely materialist, i.e. earth-bound. corporeal, ironic. It's 'Dostoevskyian' Christianity, without the cynical moralism.

christians hardly get to first jhana and they are do not to tell people how to get there on their own

OP here, I happen to have my penis already mutilated since I'm a Jew. Judaism doesn't appeal me in the least and most of these strict rules are invented rabbi crap, or exaggerated interpretations of God's commands in the bible. Also "muh evil goyim" rhetoric drove me away from it.

What about Kabbalah?

religion without faith is the dumbest thing ever
kys

Is there actually such an outspoken loathing for gentiles among practicing jews?

Thats what the bulk of people are senpai and thats how it will always be for the foreseeable future.

Its why ritual is most important part for plebs

>most of these strict rules are invented rabbi crap, or exaggerated interpretations of God's commands in the bible
They aren't though. The Torah is explicit in that those are the rules.

>Also "muh evil goyim" rhetoric drove me away from it.
This is more a problem with your community than with Judaism.

Jumping right into it likely isnt a good idea. Start off with Plato.

>this is more a problem with your community than with Judaism

It's not, Judaism is filled with explicit written hatred and dehumanization of gentiles. Sure, you can choose to disregard it, but it's there. Fundamentalist Jews didn't get it out of thin air, Jewish supremacy over the nations is rooted in the religion.

It is. But orthodox Christianity, that remained true to the teachings of Christ. Catolic church chose the Kingdom on earth. Orthodox church chose the King of Heaven.