Do negative numbers have anything to do with physical reality at all?

Do negative numbers have anything to do with physical reality at all?

debt

That money doesn't "disappear" like the example image though. It has just been shuffled around between parties.

the guy with negative apples had some apple debt he needed to pay off, and it was quicker to just write -

>Height above/below a reference point (e.g. sea level)
>Manometric pressure
>Heat to or from a system

Lay some yardsticks on the ground. Face forward. Go forward one yard. Turn around 180 degrees. Go forward one yard. You just effectively went backward one yard relative to your last position, and ended up in the same place. 1+(-1) = 0. Boom. Soon shitposting will become an endangered species I pray.

In the real world the indebted would have to find a third party apple though. Only to have there still be apples existing afterwards.

That's not the same thing. Rates of change and differences in measurements like height don't make actual object simply not be once you're done mathing them together.

No, but they are crucial for math to work. Should equations and physical computation STOP the second you encounter a negative number?

>No
For fuck's sake, just because there's no such thing as negative mass doesn't mean "negativeness" can't be applied to other things in reality, you chimps.

Only as much as positive numbers do.
It's not like any real world apple has the platonic form of the positive number 1 floating over it.

Why are mathematical concepts always explained in terms of apples?

The original brainlet ate an apple and every brainlet since has been fixated on them

direction

Been quite some time since I studied negative numbers but simple life applications include, but not limited to:

Temperature, sea levels and alike.
E.g Instead of saying "below sea level", we like to put a negative sign in front. For example, -1900 m. basically means 1900 m. below sea level.

But other than that, honestly IDFK.

There's some uses in formula that describe the natural world, but in hard, physical reality, not really.

Do positive numbers have anything to do with physical reality at all?

I have one positron.

Someone gives me an electron.

Now I zero positrons, but maybe some photons.

There's an example.

Actually there was an experiment some months ago that demonstrated such a thing as negative mass

Fuck, for real? Do you have a link?

yes

Are you talking about that experiment where they supercooled a fluid and it went the other way when it was "pushed"? Yeah I wouldn't count that.

No, negative numbers are simply a handy way of making more sense of the lack of presence being higher than that of the presence.

If I have one apple, I physically can't subtract another. And in the process of subtracting, you are not adding a negative, (You are mathematically, but not n reality), you are simply taking away a positive value.

Only when describing displacement are you using negative numbers. But displacement is simply distance traveled from an original point, the negatives are simply a convenience of not confusing one direction with another. Nonetheless, any and all movement is gaining positive distance.

Positive distance relative to what? You need a coordinate system. You can't just call all your positions and movements positive, it would never work. Even the fact that you're even using the word positive implies a negative anyway, doesn't it?

Would you really consider it negative mass though?

Bending spacetime in the opposite direction doesn't necessarily mean negative mass.

Negative electric charge.

Yes

Stress in a physical member. Positive = tension. Negative = compression.

Electric Charge.

Isn't tension just compression at 90 degrees or something? I seem to remember learning that after learning that equal pressure on all sides of a solid object is the same as no pressure at all.

Sine waves go up and down through zero

Do numbers have any physical reality at all? Your image is clearly nonsensical. You can't have two apples, since in real life each one must be different from the other, otherwise we wouldn't be able to differentiate between them and thus add them up.

>Isn't tension just compression at 90 degrees or something?
More like 180, but that is an odd way of thinking about it.

But even "negative" numbers are being measured with respect to an arbitrary reference point (i.e. zero)

>More like 180
I don't think you understand what I mean.
I think it was part of the Mohr–Coulomb theory.

If your question is "can you have a physically negative instance of something" then probably not.

That's not what negative numbers are for- they're for removing something from a system (the actual matter/energy just moves somewhere else).

This is like asking why we have exponents. You cant "square" any 1 object on itself (1^2=1).

Better question.

Does subtraction have anything to do with physical reality at all? or is it all addition of negative numbers?

Negative voltage and amps, and the distinction between negative and positive can be very important.

Conglaturation, you have discovered absolute value.

you have an apple and someone takes it
wow so fucking hard to understand

It depends on how you look at it, you could have absolute minimum as 0 and everything be higher or in the case of the Celsius scale of temperature have an ALMOST constant point which has the possibility of things being above or below it as 0

Perhaps (((apple merchants))) are responsible

this image really makes you think

gee it's almost like numbers don't exist outside our minds and are just concepts we use to describe the world

Did anyone say charge or spin????

ANY RATE OF CHANGE

apples have been responsible for all major advancements in human knowledge, whether it be the knowledge of good and evil or knowledge of gravity. You can't dispute this.

Putting work into a system

>what are vectors

Antiapple combined with apple would fit that image neatly.

Negativity indicates direction. Forward or backward, up or down...

Actually the fruit in the garden was probably an etrog

Are any two apples the same? Is it even possible to have two apples, and not an apple and another apple?

Are any two anythings the same Veeky Forums?

Money and economy has nothing to do with physical reality.

Those examples are completely irrelevant and honestly pretty brainlet tier.

Principle stress of Tension is SHEER at a 90 degree angle

>In the real world the indebted would have to find a third party apple though. Only to have there still be apples existing afterwards.
The third party isn't part of the equation though.

You have a debt of one apple, I give you an apple to pay the debt, you pay the debt and have no apples.

Of course, in reality you could be a faggot and eat the apple yourself, keeping the debt, but that would be another equation.

Probably because A is usually associated with apple, so it's like the first word you proper learn and it's also an object. So when you're looking for something to use in examples it fits pretty well.

angular momentum.

See this shit? This is how retarded you sound when you say "complex/imaginary numbers aren't real".

>You have a debt of one apple
That doesn't mean you actually have a negative apple though. You can't pay off your debt without getting a positive number of apples.
He'd have zero real apples. You get him up to one by giving away yours. He then gives it away to go back to zero.

Nothing like the nega-apple in the example. An actual -(object).

Define physical reality. That's why there's a difference between "Integers" and "Natural numbers"

No and neither do positive numbers.

Charge.
A particle and an anti particle can be described as negatives of eachother and will annihilate if they interact

No but positive numbers don't either.
It's all just mental models we make that happen to correspond to things.
There are no physical real numbers or integers.

You cant have visible negative in reality.

>he doesn't know what antimatter is

it came into life when money started playing a role.
how do you keep track of debt??

But, if positive numbers are objects then there can be ...

Only shows the power of apple lobbyists then

Money

Do numbers have anything to do with reality at all?

That's subtraction, you idiot.
The end result is net zero.

temperature can be put in kelvins, which have no need for a negative

maybe it has to do with the influence of Tel Avapple on math

Look at this dude, he actually thinks loans are based on real money and not fractional based reserves of fiat currency.

Look at him an laugh.

>Thread about physical reality
>Duuh loans aren't even real

No, but neither do numbers in general

Waves.

Actually it was probably nothing because it never happened fagig

No

Negative numbers are just another way of depicting subtraction from what I understand.

An electron and a positron annihilate each other so yeah, it's pretty fucken real.

No because there's no absolute reference frame so a sign merely appears as a form of convention, now the sign relation between objects (such as parity) is a fundamental component of physics.

Just add one hypothetical dark apple.

If that negative apple is made of antimatter, then yes, touching it to a regular apple would cancel both in a huge explosion capable of leveling a city, leaving you with 0 apples.

Shear vs. axial stress. Same pressure on all sides means the object shrinks uniformly (assuming isotropic elastic constants) instead of changing shape.

How do you like them apples?

Negative numbers were an idea created by an autistic shepherd somewhere along the tames long ago.

He though, if 3 rocks equivocates to 3 sheep, then what happens if i have less than 0 rocks?

And thus negatives were born, a number which has no basis in reality save for in relation to negative addition.

In bookkeeping, negative numbers basically don't appear. They use t tables to differentiate between what you have and what you owe.

Yes

Imagine you own a sheep farm, with three stalls in which to keep sheep. Now imagine you are given a pig, which takes up one stall. Not only do you have zero sheep, but you have one less space to keep a theoretical sheep. Hence, -1 sheep.

you guys are all fucking morons