D R E A M S C A P E - Veeky Forums Collab

Hello. Since our last thread around two days ago I went about setting up a for-print manuscript for Dreamscape. I've uploaded two preview PDFs of the raw, unmolested manuscript and an edited version where I tried my best to clean up the messy structure, untidy formatting and touched up some basic grammar on some of the stories.

mega.nz/#!jMtH3aqR!2E_CZrYAa9WUnZ23ebRltL9tTKrGblPQ-LDDagG-M8c

It'd be great if some anons still interested in this project could have a quick check through either preview and tell me what their preference is. I know the original intention was to edit the collaboration so as to give it some semblance of plot and structure (as opposed to the past collaborations) but if people really prefer the untouched copy, I can go about setting that up for print. Personally I prefer the edited version, but it's not final and if there's feedback to be had on that, by all means please share it.

Oh, also. If any graphic design types are interested in working on the book's cover, feel free to reply letting us know, and i'll send over a Trim Size Template you can work your cover off of.

Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1AnQ18bSPqDeYg50FGTHaDwLB4gKMgDmFjrsESeuPtD8/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

wtf i love reddit now

I thought Reddit was involved with Hypershere?

I tried attempting a cover idea before, something's not right though. Probably the fonts

Okay I've fixed it up better. Here's a preview of a possible cover, I'm not good at graphic design but eh

the cover designs are beautiful but the actual text in
is so fucking cringeworthy. this reeks of reddit.
the only funny one was tundra 1

I think the cringe factor is just inevitable with these projects. It's best not to think about what into them and more just to enjoy what's there.

Amazing
Good work dude!

This design is so good

whhat program / how did you make this?

GIMP

btw thanks guys I'll use this as the main placeholder for now and if no better ones come up I'll just use it.

To be honest you shouldn't have uniformed the fonts. It is a lot more aesthetic to see YEAR IS 2016 in bright green

Only trouble with having it in colour is that I can't have a 5 x 8 trim size and the cost of the book will be more expensive. For what it's worth, only two or three of the stories relied on extensive colour changes, so I weighed them against the rest. I just thought at the end of the day it'd work out better removing colour (thereby making it cheaper) over making a bigger and more expensive trim size.

I understand
Did you ever worked in e-publishing? The editing is Veeky Forums

Nah I self-published my own book, so I just carried over what I learned from that experience.

I'll do an e-book later at some point that'll make it easier to read on a PC/mobile/tablet.

dude isn't japanese SO COOL?

surprised a story I wrote nearly a year ago is still in there.

I think it's good as is, getting structure out of that mess would take too much work.

it's good as it is

I'd release the edited version for paperback because only normies and redditors would bother buying it. Just keep the original on the side

I wouldn't bother with a blurb desu

How come? Too cringe? It'd leave a lot of empty space if I do

add a list of contributors instead

But it's all anonymous...

exactly

That's fine

Do this, I am against a blurb.
Let your inner aestheticist come alive, blurbs are plebe tier.

Okay I'll look into tomorrow after work.

Whatever happened to Totalitarianism in a Tundra?

We should ask nick land to write the preface

OP how do you make the text see through like that and put pictures underneath? pls help i want to do that too.

This is so unfunny it hurts. Look OP I'm sorry you missed out on tundra and hypersphere but that's life. This is just a cheap imitation and judging by that one page it's just xd so randum humor. spouting memes isnt what made those books funny. sorry man but you just dont have the magic

Better?

Don't stress out too much about it man, it's just a bit of fun. If you're upset about the quality then all I can say is that it's a reflection of what the board has become, I'm only packaging up what's been written.

ye better 100%
can you post link to the writing i want to see more.

here's one of last google doc files before I downloaded and turned it into a manuscripts:

docs.google.com/document/d/1AnQ18bSPqDeYg50FGTHaDwLB4gKMgDmFjrsESeuPtD8/edit

Okay, so this is a digital markup preview. I've just to upload the blurbless cover and go through the review process again (which takes 24 hours) and then it'll be ready for print and sale.

Man this is great

what's so Veeky Forums about thin section minerals?

What's wrong with the OP image? Why isn't that being used?

because it's shit

Really? It's much fucking nicer than the other splurge that's been posted. it looks liek that shit robin williams movie what dreams may come.

the japanese text looks also much better than actually writing "my diary desu" in engrish and the bare design is more interesting than th

where is this being printed and how much does it cost? how are you doing this? do they only print on demand?

I'm printing it through Createspace as its the only self-publishing platform I'm familiar with.

>how much does it cost?

The lowest price I can set to each currency is:
$7.93
£4.40
€4.87

So that's what you should be paying when it's available online

>do they only print on demand?

Yes, they print for order, as most self-publishing sites do

ok and did you make the cover using their online program or did you just upload as a pdf?

I uploaded the PDF of that cover I made in GIMP, you just need to get a template for the trim size if you want to upload your own.

omg this is sooo fun

>called Dreamscape
>not a collection of people's dreams organized by theme and strung together by an imagined narrative
Sigh.

There's a narrative there somewhere, you've got to work for it. And the payoff isn't amazing.

Title is pretty clunky and not sure if it should have a semicolon
Why not just "Dreamscape: My Diary Desu"

Nice

This actually sounds like a great idea, but it would require a lot more work. Allow everyone to contribute a dream to the book and have a few writers come back through and create a plot that makes them relatively cohesive, if not sequential.