Wallace committed suicide on September 12, 2008, at age 46...

>Wallace committed suicide on September 12, 2008, at age 46. Wallace's father reported in an interview that his son had suffered from depression for more than 20 years and that antidepressant medication had allowed him to be productive.[44] When Wallace experienced severe side effects from the medication, he attempted to wean himself from his primary antidepressant, phenelzine.[45] On his doctor's advice, Wallace stopped taking the medication in June 2007,[44] then the depression returned. Wallace received other treatments, including electroconvulsive therapy. When he returned to phenelzine, he found that it had lost its effectiveness.[45] His wife kept a watchful eye on him in the following days, but on September 12, Wallace went into the garage, wrote a two-page note, and arranged part of the manuscript for The Pale King before hanging himself from a patio rafter.[51]

Should've called his book Infinite JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EIuk8zIlRGA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's beginning to sadden me that we've reduced a man's life, work, and suicide into a wacky meme

it was the greatest literary career move ever you fucking brainlet
you havent even read his books.
His suicide was deliberate, meaningful and poignant in relation to his work and actually brought about the sincerity he tried and was failing to preach in life

Wouldn't make sense. "Infinite Jest" is from Shakespeare.

>including electroconvulsive therapy
how justed do you have to be

it's what he would have wanted

He would have probably wanted it that way. he always saw himself as the "David Axelrod" of literature.

haha what a fucking guy

why was he so depressed

was it though? nobody I know outside of this board knows who he is unless they were going to college in the last half of the 90s.

i think the record shows that the public's voice is about a billion times louder than academia's. if JK Rowling commits suicide then we can talk about it making someone's career.

I honestly did not know he was dead until this thread.

he wasn't dead until this thread

>tfw theory teacher played tennis with DFW at pomona.

>you'll never be in one of his classes and form a father/son relationship as you visit his office out of class
why live

is there any juicy info about his suicide? like his note, any weird behavior leading up to it, etc.?

>wrote a two-page note

Even his suicide note was unnecessarily long.

i feel bad. i feel like i want to do the same

im glad he was able to justify something that doesnt make sense to most. im at the point where i drink nightly to calm myself. its not enough. i still want to, and im glad he made it clear that a well off person would want to kill themself. life just isnt good, makes me feel better he rationalized it

Not until you posted, asshole

He tied his hands together with rope before he hanged himself.

wow... it was a joke, now he is legit suicided because of you, thanks a lot! asshole!

And with that zany trick, Pynchon 'killed' another one of his nom de plumes!

I don't know how many times I've read this, I still get really sad when I think about his death.

he is better than some of us

Fun fact: DFW's last meal was a Big Mac meal with a medium Coke, to go.

How'd he pull that off? I'm running through the motions in my mind and can't make sense of it

I'd tell you to go kill yourself, but you're actually too dumb to pull it off.

This wont do shit but don't kill yourself friendo

Anybody else think that DFW looks like he has Down's Syndrome?

>DFW spends his life fighting against postmodernism irony and nihilism
>le wacky lit memers turn him and his legacy into an ironic postmodern meme

It's what he wanted [3]

ever wonder why there are so many fucking screen caps of him from this specific interview? he was about to burst into the meme cybernetics anyway

mfw whoever took this named it cave.jpg

He wouldn't give a fuck about you anyway.

What are some essential Wallace essays and short works? I need a taste

source?
there are a lot of people who feel the same way, I don't get what do people see in this (life) sometimes, it feels like I'm deaf and there is a song everyone is listening but me
Nothing makes sense to me but hedonism, but I'm not doing drugs or any other shit because I'm supposedly trying to get better and improve myself, which is a bunch of lies, it would be so much easier if I really belived in it
>inb4 read Nietzsche
I aint no overman, and I dont see any either

David Lynch Keeps His Head

Consider the Holster
Alimony and More
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (Man in the Mirror)
The Pale Cuck

>tfw your dad wears a bandana all the time

No dad of mine

>im at the point where i drink nightly to calm myself
doesn't everyone do this?

>a torpid breeze obscures the voice from the little box, oh proverbial mac D!
>"what" she asks
>I just think it's quite kitsch and cute and funny to be here right now in front of all of this
>"you want something?" she says
>there's just too much noise between here and you given this phallic structure we speak between, between you and I, this burger vassal, this sentinel of DE-personalized capitalistic dismay! Let's go inside and talk
>"Okay Dave! You chose to order this way!" she says
>get out of the Camry, my fanny pack jingling and jangling as I strangle the voice box
>my veins are utmost vascular by this point, my muscles swollen like breasts
>I don't get it! I don't get it! I don't get it! I don't get it!
>draw a circle in the mulch
>this is David Foster Wallace's space
>"you okay?" the woman is saying now
>like anyone, and but so it goes
>I settle for a Big Mac meal with a medium coke and squishy Children's toy. Everything went better than expected!

Is this funny lit??? Are you laughing???

I don't because it fucks with my meds and the next day I feel almost psychotically depressed
But, sometimes, if I have benzos at hand, I can't resist to take them, and then I start drinking until I black out, and I wouldn't even remember it if it wasn't for beer stains on my sheets and 2 bootles besides my bed
I also get social when I go in this rampages and talk to people, specially women, on instagram. I don't remember any of this conversations and I avoid reading them when I'm back in my normal state because I'm 100% sure I've said the most embarrassing shit ever. Of course this fucks with my meds even more than just drinking some wine every night ever would. Welcome to my world, kiddo...

how do you know this?

I'm torn somewhere between the total responsibility to help everyone feel better about themselves despite their superficial yet very real intellectual inferiorities and consoling myself by hiding because of my unsureness over the realness of this first axiom and my own profound inferiority and possibly accidentally evil intention in even daring to see things like this so I only drink as to test the waters once every so often with great regret but usually do not. Some would say I'm a drug addict and some would say I'm a prude. Depends who you ask.

his dad works for DFW

He probably killed himself when he realized that postmodernism can't be beaten

*tips fedora*

I laughed

spotted the Veeky Forumsizen who hasn't read Jest

Why would I real Infinite Jest? Its retarded

Nice my dude. It's always refreshing to find others on that more sexual! side of the sarcastic funny farm without any of the assets to be that way

it's beautiful. Whats it based on?

haha who is this

I not sure if this is a joke or not but either way I didn't get it
Thanks for the (You) tho

Me too. I listened to his This Is Water commencement address yesterday and it made me so much better and equipped to deal with life. The fact that he ended up killing himself scares me a bit.

It also made me really sad how he still cared enough to prepare his TPK manuscripts and write a lengthy note.

And all this, because his meds stopped working. Depression makes people so dependent on some things, it's very sad.

Well let me digress so you can help me not be such a bugger

Let's be frank. There's no way to appreciate Evel Knievel literally. Evel is the kind of man who defies even fiction, because the reality is too over the top. Here is a man in a red-white-and-blue leather jumpsuit, driving some kind of rocket car. A man who achieved fame and fortune jumping over things. Here is a real man who feels at home as Spidey on the cover of a comic book. Simply put, Evel Knievel boggles the mind.

But by the same token, he isn't to be taken ironically, either. The fact of the matter is that Evel is, in a word, awesome. His jumpsuit looks great.

I read this, or something like this, and my heart just sinks. I just feel unbearably bad for them and die a little. I should not feel this way, right?

You got another one coming bro :)

Tie the noose, step on the chair, tie the rope around your hands, kick the chair

Good Old Neon will help you understand his work. It explains why he writes the way he does. It's autobiographical.

he wore brown underwear because he knew he was gonna shit himself.
"Year of the depend adult undergarment"

he also knew they were gonna see his dick so he made some kinda cheeky remarks at the end of TPK: "you know what they do with you, they cut you open like a grape", that sequence.

Thanks, but it feels like you are making fun of me, so please be sincere about your feelings toward me or just stop.

fucking lol

glad to make you smile

(you)

STOP
T
O
P

U are like little baby

This frog, they call him pepe

>And all this, because his meds stopped working. Depression makes people so dependent on some things, it's very sad.

Um, wrong. Those meds don't work and make you worse in the first place.

>46
ten years too late to be meaningful

>spends his life fighting against postmodernism
>writes one of the most famous postmodern books

>h
>e
>h

[citation needed]

I actually knew Wallace, one night at a bar after a couple of drinks he insisted that readers would desperately try to find value where none existed if the text was sufficiently pretentious, I doubted it and few years after he published Infinite Jest. Instantly I knew the jest was on the readers, and it would go on ad infinitum. To this day I still think the real reason he killed himself was because he couldn't deal with how literature was dead, he had a tremendous hatred for pretentious readers.

This Is Water makes you stop and fucking think. I think tattoos are fucking stupid but after I This is Water I thought about putting that on my arm so I would never forget. DFW was on a different level.

btfo

I couldn't even tell you how many times I've listened to it.

I'm also going to the college next year where he gave that address (Kenyon College). Pretty excited desu

Everyone at Kenyon is a snowflake these days. Just fair warning. Beautiful campus, though.

>Wallace committed suicide

This. He must have been a narcissist.

>depression

Nice spook kid

Kek

What do you mean by this?

Do you go to Kenyon?

I mean it's full of easily upset white girls who think everything is an act of sexism against them. I know a few people who go/have gone there.

spotted the Veeky Forumsizen who didn't understand anything from jest

Think what you will of him, but there are other people more deserving of suicide

Don't let your dreams be memes!

why wont the his wife release the fucking suicide note i wanna read it

ironic isn't it

Its an important part of literary history

Just listened to it and it left the same impression on me. Knowing nothing about and having read nothing of DFW, I must say I am quite impressed. I may have to pick up IJ now.

Either way it's equally tragic in that his depression became unbearable because medicine fucked up

Ah, I figured that would be there. It's a relatively bearable flaw, for me anyway. As long as they don't hate men.

>we've reduced a man's life, work, and suicide into a wacky meme

Maybe in your mind, but in actuality you haven't.

you got nothing from reading that book, eh?

GON is God tier

>In the end, he was a fellow of finite breath.

youtube.com/watch?v=EIuk8zIlRGA

>implying that's a reduction and not an elevation

men die and turn to sand, and so too do all they build

But memes live on in other men

Wrong. Wilde, Camus and Orwell died at 46. It's like the 27 Club of writers.

>Infinite JUST
fuckin kek

All the real geniuses die in their mid 30s.

he's still huge in the pretentious college sophomore demographic

i'm envious of those who have the fortitude to kill themselves.