Why is a 13 year old bare-bones piece of hardware made with ~$15 worth of materials still $100

Why is a 13 year old bare-bones piece of hardware made with ~$15 worth of materials still $100

(((why))) indeed.

Why is a 4000 year old bare-bones piece of hardware made from ~$0.50 of saw dust and cotton still sometimes over $100?

>sometimes
I don't think I've bought a book for school, even paperbacks, for less than $100

books and calculators provide different services, and you're not paying for the materials on which the text is printed with a book

also the textbook industry is a monopoly within a broken, captured market

calculators are pretty pointless in math (ironically). they are only useful in engineering and physics classes and even then many professors ban graphing or programmable calculators.

Lol, I always forget how bad book prices are for non-math majors.
>I haven't spent more than $45 on a book in 3 years.

>Implying the only value of the calculator is in its materials
Kek. Go make one then.

a few of my engineering classes require books that cost around $400 US dollarydoos. Thank God I am a hopeless autist who found this shit site that helped me finding pdf's online of those books. Fuck they even have a few instructor's versions with the answers.

>you're not paying for the materials on which the text is printed with a book
Tsk tsk tsk, OP. You should know that you're never "paying for materials" when you buy something. Google "diamond-water paradox"

You can make one with an arduino or raspberry pi.

Autism/you keep paying for it.

I understand where you're coming from but I meant it in a more abstract sense.
You're paying for the knowledge transcribed within the book, thus, the price of the book is independent of the material on which it is printed (if it is printed, now with ebooks and what not)

The calculator is tied to the price of its components. The rest is pure profit for the manufacturer. And from what I can tell, Texas Instruments holds some kind of monopoly on graphing calculators so they keep the price artificially inflated

Because people need them.

Its really not hard.

>price of it's components
You think a TI 84 has more expensive components than an Amazon Fire tablet? The Fire tab costs 50 bucks while the TI costs 150 bucks.

You can't be this dumb.

>The rest is pure profit for the manufacturer. And from what I can tell, Texas Instruments holds some kind of monopoly on graphing calculators

Really it's thousands of middle school teachers demanding their students get a very specific type of calculator every semester that keeps the price artificially inflated. No one would buy these things unless they absolutely had to. It's not some cabal of Texan Poindexters.

But (((you))) are.

>Daily reminder that amazon does not turn a profit on any of their products, they just make enough to pay their employees and fund the next cycle of production. Amazon's CEO is already rich and doesn't need the money, he just has a hard-on for creating a technological super monopoly in which he controls literally everything by cutting prices to the point they are so low that no other company can even compete.

If I wanted my come back I'd wipe of off your chin.

>Last quarter amazon profits were 92 million
Holy shit you're not even exaggerating

Look up the south seas trading company. Amazon is kinda like that in a way as far as how they "profit"

You're not paying for the knowledge; you obtaining knowledge in incidental, you're paying for the pattern or arrangement of characters which allows that knowledge to be encoded in the book.

Likewise in the case of the calculator, the particular materials used in its construction could be substituted for other materials with the same attributes, those materials make up only a small portion of the price, what you're mainly paying for is the particular pattern or arrangement of those materials which give the plastic and copper the emergent property of being able to calculate.

Because those who aren't just using their phones or their computers for that stuff are stupid enough to pay that much.

jews control the education system and they want you to keep buying their shit.

Yeah. I remember it was a meme how Whole Foods was a store for snobby white people where a potato was 20 bucks and then amazon bought it and slashes all the prices to compete with Walmart and the like but with superior products.

Remember when calculators weren't a thing and you had to learn mathematics in school the right way? I forbid calculators when I tutor kids, they don't need them anyways.

The Jews are almost certainly the reason for this.

user I am glad I still visit this site because of people ( i assume you are an insider) like you passing out info that actually makes me think.

To say that ti calculators are primitive is not fair especially since its a tradeoff between battery life and CPU speed

They are actually very skookum as tools cuz you can write little scripts that often make your life 1000 times easier

>skookum
it's actually a weird. sounds yiddish.

yea whatever grandpa. If you're doing shit that matters using more complicated mathematics, you better use fucking machine assistance. No one should wait for you to calculate the eigenvectors of a 1000 variable matrix and even if you do no one should trust it. If your job is just basic computations, you're likely not that smart and you better use a calculator if you're calculating inventory to order or my taxes. either way, fuck you. If you're doing other mathematical shit that is both complicated and doesn't need a calculator to be reliable, you're probably doing some pure mathematics shit that doesn't qualify as "shit that matters".

because you need it

I can take a calculator into a test, I cannot take a computer or phone

>his school lets him use calculators on tests
community college or shit-tier state school?

meth head, in physics and engineering classes we need to calculate trig functions that aren't on the unit circle.

i love the arrogance with which you made that statement and how it shows how much of a brainlet you are.

Math books, depending on the school, will change a comma, and require you to buy the new edition to attend class.

you would only be 'banned' till you know how the math works, then you would be allowed to use, if they won't let you use the calculator for longer than learning how the math is done, change schools/teachers if possible, the one you have is shit and actively hindering your future.

they aren't, graphing calculators themselves are fairly cheap, only texas instruments is expensive because its the one books teach to, and in many cases, its the only one allowed on tests. but the calculators themselves, graphing ones are 20-40$ unless they are brand new designs.

>you would only be 'banned' till you know how the math works

Why even then? What's more important, memorizing dozens of rules that I'll never use again after I graduate so I can solve problems by hand, or understanding the concepts underlying the class?

We're not talking about doing something in the real world dipshit. We're talking about learning it in the first place.

Its much better to do the calculations in your head when you are learning it for the first time.

>the one you have is shit and actively hindering your future
why? you really don't need to use really complicated calculations to teach/test for understanding of higher level mathematical concepts. hell, that's true even for the mathematical classes that most stem students take like calc and linear algebra. The only thing calculators do is let students who should have failed the pre-requisite course pass just barely get by. please tell me how a calculator is necessary to help your learning in any math class. There is only a single class throughout college where I would have loved to have a calculator but that was a numerical methods class where you had to deal with limited precision constraints and as such frequently used very large or small numbers. For anything else, I just can't see it.

STEM students really should be looking at things in terms of "can I write a program to solve this class of problems" and "can i just compile a lookup table"

TI cuckulators allow you to do that but are shit enough that its still fair

It's called monopoly

Texas instruments has a deal with the public school system that has effectively killed all competition