>18 months ago
>come up with a cool idea fantasy world
>spend a full year picking it apart and piecing it back together
>go through dozens of first drafts and concepts
>7 months ago
>everything is hammered out
>decide to write a short story as a testing bed for this idea
>4 months ago
>the short story has grown into a cancerous mass of novella and the larger concept is still in flux
>1 month ago
>I've pretty much mathematically proved the larger concept is shit and refocused on getting making the test story the main event
>1 week ago
>realize that to trim the novella down I need to start over from scratch and redraft
>1 hour ago
>realize that my draft won't work

How the hell to novelists do it Veeky Forums? How the hell do novels get written at all? I'm not cut out to be a writer, I should have never taken up this stupid hobby or this dream of being published. I just can't get these characters and world out of my head but I can't put them into words or a plot.

I wish I never had this perfect storm of ambition and perceived but nonexistent potential that led me to desire accomplishing something more with my life. Everything since my freshman year of highschool has been a collossal fucking mistake

The greats weren't great because at birth they could play. The greats were great because they played a lot.

Make the money, user.

I can't even create a working plot after 18 months of planning. I don't expect to be a genius but I at least expect to have something to show for all that wasted time

>18months of planning vs 18mo writing
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

planning and writing, most of it false starts and failed ideas, but the past 7 months was a single writing project that resulted in about 18k words saved and about 40k deleted

His point is to stop being an autist and write some words.

what do you think I was doing?

>6 years ago
>come up with a cool idea for a novel based on a classical myth to get people to rengage with 'real literature', even if only in a roundabout way
>spend a full year picking it apart and piecing it back together, make the characters all women so that it will survive in the PC madhouse
>go through dozens of first drafts and concepts
>5 years ago
>everything is hammered out
>decide to write a sequel as a testing bed for this idea
>still 5 years ago
>the sequel has grown into a cancerous mass of novella and the larger concept is still in flux
>4 years ago
>I've pretty much mathematically proved that the sequel still doesn't conclude things and refocused on getting making the test story the main event
>Yesterday
>realize that even though i recreated portions of my novel in anticipation of the sequel, the sequel still has no resolution.I need to start my world over from scratch and redraft
>1 hour ago
>realize that my proposed draft won't work, keep reformulating and working on other projects in the meantime

How the hell to novelists do it Veeky Forums? How the hell do novels get written at all? I'm not cut out to be a writer, I should have never taken up this stupid hobby or this dream of being published. I just can't get these characters and world out of my head but I can't put them into words or a plot.

I wish I never had this perfect storm of ambition and perceived but nonexistent potential that led me to desire accomplishing something more with my life. Everything since my freshman year of highschool has been a collossal fucking mistake

>pic related

Cut the cancer, find the core concepts, and rewrite. Rewrite, rewrite, rewrite.
You should be HAPPY that you've noticed it's become unworkable. That means that, for the first time yet, you actually see what the fuck is wrong.
Your story may not even be what you thought it was about. Just cut the chaff and look at what's left dude.

I've had a similar form of disillusionment with an idea I've yet to fully complete
It sucks but at least you know it sucks, so you can still work with that.

I've written seven full-length novels in the sci-fi genre.

I've ATTEMPTED over 10 in Fantasy. For some reason, it's just harder to do.

Give me the quick rundown on your fantasy world, I enjoy world building.

It's a low-fantasy world, specifically turn-of-the-century new york. The city proper is largely unchanged, but sprinkled with various "rabbithole anomalies." These anomalies, which form interconnected geometrically and temporally bizzare pocket dimensions are home to species of sentient fauna and their animal gods and angels

The cosmology is an eminationist re-imagining of the big bang. Originally there was the protogenoi of the singularity, but a force of disorder caused it to divide into the alligator god of gravity, the pigeon god of electromagnetism, the cat god of the weak force and rat god of the weak force. They created archons (dragons, serpents, fireflies, thunderbirds, nekomata and ratkings) and those archons created sentient animals from divine ichor.

The gods want to re-unify, but to do that they must kill each other, which neither they, their angels nor their creations can do, so they prepare humans as soldiers and investment some of their power in them. They've been locked in a stalemate since the birth of man

That sounds incredibly boring and autistic, I'm sorry user, but what you've just posted could be paraphrased and plastered onto a back alley way with the grease of cheap hobo liquor and feces.

Do you have an idea of character or plot to work into your premise?

fuck it. I'm tired. cliff notes

>Will
>short, disgruntled young man with a hook for a right hand
>comes to the city looking for his father after his mother dies
>ends up entangled in war between gods
>everyone else involved has cool powers. he can change anything's flavor
>naturally he has to get creative

>Eve
>Will's best friend and love interest
>basically a kawaii margret hamilton
>kind of a fucking mad scientist
>studying the world of the supernatural hoping uncover some deeper truth about the nature of reality
>she can rotate her eyes in any dimension, including time and hyperspace

>Vic
>he's an easygoing and charismatic cleptomaniac with no powers and no role in the war who just happens to be friends with Eve and Will

>Kat
>Vic's shy adopted sister
>actually an insanely talented artist
>won the super power lottery and has super strength as well as color manipulation

>Nick
>main villain
>An eccentric entrepreneur who likes magic tricks
>he grew up as a circus freak which screwed him up royally
>he can control electricty and magnetism

Have you tried time jumps? Shit tier authors use it, but it really works if you can't write your way out.

By that I mean do the X years later, and reveal via flashbacks once the current writing calls for it.

I empathize with you, although my problem is I can't figure out which documents contain which writing for which work, because I like to get high and open the closest document because that's the extent I can effort.

>The greats weren't great because at birth they could play.
Actually, they were born with elite capabilities in addition to honing them through extensive training. Genetic gifts are everything.

>The city proper is largely unchanged, but sprinkled with various "rabbithole anomalies." These anomalies, which form interconnected geometrically and temporally bizzare pocket dimensions are home to species of sentient fauna and their animal gods and angels
Thats actually a good idea, something that I would be interested to read more about.
The rest of your post though? No, just no.

Sorry, but that are just bland stereotypes
>ends up entangled in war between gods
>easygoing and charismatic cleptomaniac
>best friend and love interest, kawaii
Seriously? That surely has never been done before.

In general you do not seem to have an idea of a plot that isnt something incredibly cliched

dude...

I can see why you're thinking this won't work
I hope it's supposed to be YA or teenage fare

it'll hurt, but you should just start on a new idea
you know this isn't working for you, and the best way out is through
you form some new ideas and write them instead, and with your present experience, it'll be easier to not create shitty ideas and to not get attached to shitty (or unworkable or un-fitting) ideas and to actually cull shitty ideas
after you've made something you like, then maybe come back to this, and then you might be experienced enough and detached enough to figure out what's wrong and be willing and able to fix it

there was a reason I decided it was unworkable. that's why I gave up on it and devoted my effort to a story featuring a modified version of eve as the heroine and a modified version of nick as the villain.

It's also shitty but I had a very cohesive plot that underwent revision to remove a particularly cringey element and unfortunately I didn't realize until last night that the entire second half depended on that cringeworthy element to work

fuck, what did I rip off this time?

>to remove a particularly cringey element
what element?
>fuck, what did I rip off this time?
not that guy but
pretty sure this was done by tons of fantasy books and RPGs
this sounds like older-style western fiction just kind of in general, I know the circus freak -> supervillain angle has been done in some comics before
that's a new one on me but I'd be kind of surprised if no one's done it before
also it just sounds kind of janky, you know? like how would that even work, wouldn't it be painful, wouldn't it either look really gross or not look like anything at all, etc.

>what element?
in the current version of the story her mother was a fortune teller, as was her mother and her mother and her mother before her all the way back the pythia.

in the original version of the story – I don't remember what the hell possessed me to make me think this was even a quarter-decent idea – she came from a family of mobsters. (good lord I was retarded when I came up with that)