Realistically, how many books should you read before you attempt to write your own?

Realistically, how many books should you read before you attempt to write your own?

~ 500

At the very least, 100

zero
if you can speak and write english and have the inclination to write, then have it
the publisher can decide whether your work is sellable

319 give or take

You only need to read the bible.

Yeah, ~ 300 is the correct answer.

it's different for everyone. some people can reading almost nothing at all and be natuarlly good writers. some people can read 100s and still write like trash.

also sheer quantity of books means nothing
you could read 1000 operation manuals for home appliances, if you get what i mean
it has to relate to your interests, feed your creative spirit
i suspect that many people don't always read a book simply because they are drawn to it and deeply curious and excited about its contents, but read it because somehow or another they were told they ought to

Read at least a dozen of every type of book you can find.

Just three:

Odyssey
The New Testament
Moby Dick

If you're feeling adventurous, I'd say you should also read Paradife Lost and The Invincible Quest.

About 30-40 of philosophy I still have to go through.
I want to write a book that covers the most important thomists of the 20th and 21st century, so Martain, Girrard Larrange (probably spelled both names wrong, because Franch), Amscombe, Geach, MacIntyre, Feser and Oderberg.

You shouldn't skip out on shit literature. So you know in future what not to write.

I've read more than 2000 books and I have no opinions about anything I've read one way or another.

>tfw sub-100 IQ.

So as a representer of low IQ/ability individuals I guess more than 10000.

>how many businesses should i work for before i start my own
>how many sandwiches should i have eaten before i make my own
>how many babies should you raise before you make your own
>how ma

None

1000, 500 if theyre good

What.
How old are you even

ok. ok. wow. just... ok. most people in this thread have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

you only really need to read 25-50 books if you're analyzing them very intensely. they should consume the same amount of time as reading 200 books based on how close you read them. You should begin writing while you're still reading (if you're learning karate, do you watch 1,000 hours of karate footage before your first practice?).

Disregard everything else in this thread. You should already know this before posting on Veeky Forums but almost everyone on here is a complete fucking loser.

25 this year.

>almost everyone
but that's wrong, it's everyone including you and me

OP, don't let this charlatan fool you into thinking he's right and we're all wrong, he's just as wrong as you or I.

Hi Sebastian. Be proud of what you've read. One fucking hell of number. Just keep going. With all those books under your belt, it'd be cool to see some writing from you.

ten, and you need to like them or else you won't want to write. P.s. twilight started out as a dream about a demon... and harry potter the first chapter was just gossip about j.k.'s sisters' family... but ten.

At least one, so you have some idea of what a book can be.

Why? I'd like to read a book written by a man that has never read anything. Or has gotten merely the description of a book told to him

try Veeky Forums

What does books even mean? Novels? Dictionaries? Treatises? Diaries?

My diary desu.

(i had to)

No. Exactly 319.

However many it takes to convey your story. I would say, if you want to understand the basics of written story telling, making your way through the classics of your language first is the bare minimum.

>Paradife Lost
*Paradiſe Loſt

>You only need to read the bible
>don't you dare write after that
>the bible is the only book anyone will ever need