My novel's about 1500 pages right now. This is after some extensive cuts

My novel's about 1500 pages right now. This is after some extensive cuts.

Wat do?

Kys

Make it a trilogy, duh...

Keep cutting but save everything so you can release an extended version later.

Release it as an epic tome of course.

As a matter of fact make it even longer.

Burn it. This will be a nice story for your bio.

Better: Keep it but say that you burned it. Leave it somewhere so that it can be discovered and published posthumously.

>Keep cutting
Getting pretty close to the marrow on that one

Trips of truth; make it a trilogy OP. If this is your first novel, you can't just leave it that long unless you're perfectly fine with just about NOBODY touching it. If you're secretly a famous author however, then carry on. Going to self-publish or try a publishing company. If a company, and you're a first-time author, then again, break it up into 3-4 books. My first books was 80,000 words and 235 pages in a 5x8" format.

The way the book is structured would make more sense as a quadrilogy. If I do that I can probably restore some of the content.

Probably the best move, user. Break it into four novels less than 400 pages each, or at least less than 500 pages each. Good on ya for writing so much though; takes dedication. I've been writing books since August and so far I've written about 166,500 words. I don't know how many pages that is in 5x8 format. 480 pages perhaps? That's in almost 7 months, and with a fair amount of dedication to it. Did you write all that in a year and a half or two years, including editing?

Six years

God damn, you're certainly a trooper, but yeah, break it up into several books and have at it. Try a publishing company if you want, but I'd just go ahead and self-publish it. Do that, and then send some manuscripts to other publishing companies if you want, but it seems like self-publishing is the future.

I'm reluctant to turn it into a "series" as I hate that sort of thing. It all seems very commercial. But on the other hand, you're right, the 1500 page behemoth I have right now is a little unwieldy.

Write 1500 more pages

Rewrite.

Unwieldy and intimidating. Give them a shorter book to start out on, even though 400 pages is hardly short. Can't help but wonder how many pages are in the Harry Potter series. the first Harry Potter novel wasn't all that big; around 75,000 words or so and I recall that being a fairly thin book. Maybe 150 pages? If in 5x8 format it'll be around 200-220 pages I figure. I like 5x8 because I figure that's got the best chance of fitting into a butt pocket, and I love being able to tote around a book like that in case I ever have to sit around and wait. Can just break out a book for a bit of reading!

If I include all the stuff I tossed out 400 pages might just about cover the "prologue" (for lack of a better term)

Yikes, well as long as it's not all 'tell' and you've got a lot of 'show' in there. Novels are generally all about "show don't tell". The reader wants to experience the story, and not simply have it told to them. Get information through actions and dialogue, through points of view and stuff like that. Not just the narrator saying "this guy's name is this, and he is from here, wants to go here, and these are his goals and ambitions. Meanwhile this girl's name is this, she is from here, and they live in this world where there are these creatures, those structures, this government body, etc. etc." That's basically an info-dump, I'm a little guilty of this myself in my latest book which is the first sequel I've ever done. If you think it's all 'tell' and not 'show', then you might want to rewrite those first 400 pages so that it introduces the characters in an interesting way. There will be precious few readers out there with the time and low-enough standards to just sit there for 400 pages to be told what the setting of the story is until the actual story begins, if that makes sense.

What you could try doing is go to CreateSpace, make a profile, go to the forums, and ask people to critique your stuff. There are people there that do that, people who help first-time authors.

many great novels were serialized

What's it about?

This. My guess is epic fantasy.

It is a 15000 page Hentai Novella about the soul of MaN under the oppressive boot of post-1996 Anime. It is called “We shall take no Moe“
Pic is cover art on draft

Well, I'm out of this thread. You guys have fun.

>tfw will never know what OP's 1500 page epic actually is
Fuck you OP

Visit your own Thread OP

Three generations of settlers in the Appalachian mountains as imagined by a descendent researching it as he recovers in hospital during World War I.

It's actually a bit more psychedelic than the premise implies.

Also, sod off, I went to sleep

If you're after approaching publishers and lit agents they won't really consider anything past the 100k mark. Unfortunately I know this from experience.

The Anime thing sounds better

>past the 100,000 mark
well, you're not wrong

Sorry - words, not pages.

What anime thing?

See

Ah. I see

change the font size, change the paper size, reduce the margins and then repaginate.

> novel is now 120 pages

see? much better

what do people get out of lying on image boards

My experimental novel is currently at 600,000 words.

I don't know what to do. In one hand, it's a literary masterpiece.
On the other, no publisher wants to publish something that will be at least 1400 pages.

Kill me

>My experimental novel
>it's a literary masterpiece
If the whole of the novel is this redundant it's no wonder you've got more than half a million words.

Post an excerpt.

He didn't, of course.

LotR was split into three because of post war paper shortages, but it's a good thing it was because it would be so difficult to lug around the whole book as one volume.

you don't need a publisher, as i told the user over in the self-publishing thread.

get calibre, it's free. convert your word document to a .epub, advertise it on facebook, and then email it to anyone who asks for a copy.

"publishing" is for people who still think they can make a living from writing novels. no. you can't. get over that idea.

that's not a consideration any more, when people read books on their kindles or phones. we are free to write as much as we want.

Lots of people still read actual codices. I for one find it difficult to retain information read on a screen.