My parents just showed me the results of an IQ test I passed when I was 8 years old...

My parents just showed me the results of an IQ test I passed when I was 8 years old, and is seems like I was some kind of genius at the time.
Now I'm 23 and feel like a retard, I'm constantly outperformed by every other students.
So can IQ drastically fall when you grow up? Or am I just a lazy fuck that doesn't study hard enough?
Also sorry for the blog post.

You can be intelligent, but unknowledgeable.
Well, not you specially. The only intelligent retards are savants, and they don't shitpost on Veeky Forums.

>savants are smart
this meme is so retarded
you're going to tell me these frauds like Daniel Tammet who pretend to have some superpowers can hold a candle to even the worst of mathematicians or linguists?

>picking nits over vocabulary
Savants are super clever at one thing, that doesn't make them top tier brainiacs. Ya fuckwad.

knowledge alone is stiff and inflexible, and cannot adapt itself to new situations

they're simply knowledgeable at one thing. among them, some are smart, and some aren't, and those in the latter category are clever at 0 things usually.

G-Guys, what about my question?
How many IQ points can be lost/gained over time?

0 by def since age should be taken into account so that the distribution remains the same

unless you get into an accident, in this case you can lose pretty much everything, but never gain. Such is life. destroying is always easier than building. gl

Kim Peek being the prime example.

I didn't get into any accident, thanks user.
I think IQ can vary with age though, depending on the individual, since the environment can be a determining factor.

Maybe you did but you don't remember. Because of the accident.

Really makes me think user.

Oh god you don't remember the accident

>basing your intelligence from IQ

> Or am I just a lazy fuck that doesn't study hard enough?

That could be that, I had an IQ test at school when I was 11 and got 132 and I was shit at school until college but then it was my poor social skills that became a problem.

It's not that IQ can vary by itself, it's just that you need to be able to make use of it correctly.

Maybe I'm not using my skills correctly, but I don't understand why everyone else seems to have it easier in class (I'm in STEM), when I'm supposed to be smarter or something.
Does IQ measures someting else beside mathematical/logical abilities?

Yes. Many people describe themselves as having "brain fog", and not being able to think clearly.

That should severely impact IQ, but no one really knows about the underlying pathology, if any. It seems associated with bad diet and poor sleep.

Your problem is you're placing too much significance on IQ. Think about how an IQ test is administered and the variables at play that can affect the outcome. Literally nothing is controlled except for the test itself and the immediate environment. Neither the number of hours of sleep you had the night before, or the diet you were on, or your health relative to exercise, or your mental health (depression/confidence), or many other variables that can very likely influence the performance of a test meant to quantify the performance of the brain, were taken into account. Unless you've taken 5+ IQ tests at different points in your life, IQ tests are largely a crapshoot.

That's not to say that intelligence doesn't vary by individual, but what actually separates an individual from the group is mainly determination and perseverance. The overwhelming majority of people on this planet or short-sighted, immediate-satisfaction-seeking lazy blowhards that think they're geniuses because they managed to get a 97 on a Calc 2 test while using a testbank.

As long as you're not mentally challenged, literally all it takes to be recognized as a "genius" is hard work and determination.

I've read somewhere that some children with high IQ might simply be developing at a faster rate than their peers, so by the time they are teenagers their IQ has fallen back to average. I can't say if that's your case or not, though.

probably the second, in academics IQ doesn't mean much compared to studying.

>I don't understand why everyone else seems to have it easier in class
Maybe they have better studying and/or problem solving skills, both of which can be developed. Like another user said, IQ is more of a measure of your potential. A high score alone won't get you very far.

>your mental health (depression/confidence)
That's my biggest issue with IQ tests. People who don't believe in their capacities or have trouble performing under time pressure have a huge disadvantage, unless there is a correlation between performance under stress and intelligence that I'm not aware of.

>what actually separates an individual from the group is mainly determination and perseverance.
That's true, but successful people almost always have an above average IQ. Maybe I'll see a psychologist and take a second test to get a better idea.

It depends on people. I've been studying this problem last year. Stress can be beneficial to some people, and help them outperform others. Some people are motivated by the idea that they must not do worse than others, and perform better in tests because of that. The correlation between lack of confidence and bad performance also exists, though.

Obviously good diet and sleep help. I hope I don't have that brain fog problem, though I kinda identify with what you described...

Fair enough.

From what I've researched childhood IQ is heavily dependent on your environment whereas adult IQ is essentially purely a function of genes.

That is to say the heritability of IQ increases over time.