Is there any social aspect to your love of literature?

Is there any social aspect to your love of literature?

Are you a part of a book club? Do you bond with any friends over books? Do you try to bring up books while at parties?

Or is your literature kick as isolated as mine is? I'm looking for ways to be more social about this.

>Do you try to bring up books while at parties?
If I'm on MDMA yes.

My first time I spent about 3 hours banging on non-stop about why Nietzsche is great.

Hahahahahhaba imagine bringing up Pynchon or Gass at a party full of normies

Ahhaahhahahahaha sorry im just imagining how autistic you would look

Hahahahhhahahahahaha

get off my board degenerate filth

Veeky Forums is straight edge.

I have one friend I feed books to. I just give him good books I find in the dollar bins and he eventually reads them. It's nice but I wish I had more friends that read.

please recreate this so i can experience it
i was in a book club in high school with my church and we read heaven is for real. it wasn't that bad.

No I don't have any friends

And i don't actually love literature, i just read because it gives me a sense of superiority over other people

>Church book club
>Reading anything besides the Bible

Heresy

>having friends

The only time anyone has brought up books with me is when they've asked me if they like generic flavour of the month fantasy #1000 or a YA book that will be forgotten in the week after they've read it

if you can be soical about your read it means you read things normies understand (utter shit)

You think there's only one person in the entire world that understands each book?

I got into reading when I was about 20 because I hated not knowing basic lit. I was embarrassed to say "I don't like reading" in response to every book convo so I made a long list of the most commonly referenced books and have since spent my time playing catch up.

I'm 25 now and have read about 100 books, mostly from "classics" or "read in high school" goodreads shelves. I never read something that has below 10k ratings because I know it'll never come up irl. Once i finish all of the basic lit and feel well rounded enough to hold most realistic conversations about books, I'll probably just not read any more

you think braindead retards that read postmodernism and watch hollywood understand even a tiniest bit of real art?
if you find a real intellectual to hang out with congrats, but there are not many of those

Law student here. Nobody here reads books outside of their studies/fields. Disgusting.

>25
>One hundred books read

I find it hard to believe sometimes that normals would consider you "well-read"

>Is there any social aspect to your love of literature?
My love of literature was born out of my asocial nature and being introverted autist.

What a a weird q.

There was a book club I was invited to, but a lot of the books just weren't interesting to me. I get to know someone and make recommendations based on their taste.

I'm not going to tell a chad to read Nietzche (although that would be hilarious, I'm curious what they'd take from it).

no we're not

Same situation with me. Veeky Forums is the only social aspect of literature for me. Whenever I talk about literature irl, people either say something like "oh I haven't read that, but I really like the Hunger Games" or "reading is boring, it doesn't have a purpose, I'm an insipid dolt who only sees meaning and beauty in cars and sports". It's really frustrating.

This desu, also with coke

honestly user
with law studies you dont really have the time to read anything else

Hundred classics is great and the 'well-read' is entirely appropriate here.

>At my friends house
>Other friend shows up with a bag of pills
>It's 10 for 1 but only 15 for two, so I buy two and take them both at once like an idiot.
>45 minutes later
>I'm out having a smoke, my friends dad comes out
>Pretty drunk so have the craic for a bit
>Then the pills start kicking in.
>He's very anti-drugs and somehow has no idea literally everyone besides him in the house is on ecstasy.
>Get the fuck out of there.
>Mess around for a couple of hours
>Eventually out having a smoke again
>Friend I did highschool English with comes out
>We start talking about Camus because we studied The Stranger and he loved it
>I explain why Camus sucks and is plebeian.
>We start talking about Jack Kerouac
>I explain why Jack Kerouac sucks and is plebeian
>The conversation shifts to Nietzsche (which he pronounces Neesh) who he has never read.
>To the best of my extremely inebriated ability I explain Nietzsche over the course of about 3 hours in my friends kitchen with this guy and how he had the right idea.
>Then a bunch of other people come in
>Conversation shifts to The Catcher in the Rye somehow.

That's basically all I remember relevant to Veeky Forums from that night.

It's always funny when people haughtily complain about 'unculture normans & their Hunger Games'. Do you realize that only tells everyone that your social circles are shit, which are a reflection of yourself?

>le patrishoon teenager: a story
should unironically kys yourself

>Actively search out "book worms" and "loves to read" girls on dating apps
>They're all YA addicts

FUCKING WHY

Sorry I make you mad.

Maybe immaturity is inherent in the sort of person that uses dating apps.

You make me mad

So do you

And you too

Now that's a zinger!

Hahahaha no, only plebs are

No, but I'm planning on organizing a weekly/monthly gathering with some of my most patrician or just all around cool friends to discuss lit and art in general.

I don't have a love of literature.

I'm Chad and I read Nietzsche so fuck off nerd

I have a couple of truly Veeky Forums friends in my social circle who I energetically speak about literature to while heavily drinking on house parties (which happen quite often).
I also discuss philosophy with those same people, sometimes rant about philosophy with random people I drink with, and have a couple of friends I feed and model with good literature.
I'm quite satisfied with that

>being social

What am I, a normie?

No, you're human, a social animal

this. Plus the few people I do interact with either dont read or are women, so they might as well not read.

>MDMA
>Nietzsche
>parties

tru

lol maybe if your dumb as shite

I write about the books I read in a notebook. It genuinely made me feel less isolated

this

Speak for yourself, faggot.

I have high-functioning autism, and dislike social hobbies. I only do the minimum of socialization for work or class projects.

>high-functioning

Yeah, sure

>I explain why camus sucks and is plebian

please kys, umacomplished faggot calling one of the most influential writers of the 20th century "plebian" because he has to act smart in front of his faggot friends. A smart man would understand why you are retarded

> there aren't round edges on the books in /ic/

No
Yes
No
No
recommending a book to people you respect while placing said book in their hands seems to work

lol. i bet youre a hoot at parties.

no, i've never really spoken with someone who has a significant interest in literature in person.

>Are you a part of a book club?
Used to be, but dropped out when I realized that most people's tastes were just way too different from my own and I was just obliging myself to read things that I disliked 90% of the time. I still remember a sci-fi book club I was in during college that had a bunch of cute hipster girls though.

>Do you bond with any friends over books?
I discuss books with friends, but I don't bond over them. It's a hobby, and a personalized one, doesn't lend itself to bonding compared to other things in my experience.

>Do you try to bring up books while at parties?
No, but I'll talk about them if they come up. And many of my friends know that I read a lot, so sometimes they ask.

i find after reading literature i'm wittier and more selective with my words. this is how reading affects me the most on a day to day basis: being able to use words properly and creatively.

i quoted ulysses when flirting with a girl once. there was a poster of anne hathaway with the caption: "you hath a way with words" under it. she pointed this out and i said "where there's a will, ann hath a way" from scylla and charybdis.

i talk about john kennedy toole with my boss.

my father, when he's not reading shitty pulp, will usually read the non-fiction and history i give him.

i talked about the iliad and odyssey with a girl in my class for an hour the other day.

my dude friends are mostly bros. sometimes i'll talk ethics or psychology with them but mostly it's about basketball and other dumb shit. no point in quoting verses if nobody's going to get them.

for the most part reading is a personal thing only. i'm reading moby dick and have nobody to discuss it with, really.

>Are you a part of a book club?
I'm part of a highly autistic circle of twitter literati if that counts

>But he's so influential
Being influential doesn't necessarily make a writer good and I do not think Camus is good. I think he's famous purely because he was riding the wave of French post-war philosophy (which wasn't great either).

Camus' philosophy is in no way innovative and his books are just a flimsy vehicle for it. He isn't even as good as his French contemporaries.

I brought As I Lay Dying to a party when I was reading it. Ended up drinking vodka and reading faulkner early in the morning

literature is social though

chads don't browse lit sweaty

Not at all. I rarely talk to my girlfriend, despite her being well read it just never comes up.

I talk to my twin brother rarely as well

My boss asked me how long does it usually take for me to finish a book, that was him just being nice so i don't quit

I browse lit and fuck your gf

>sweaty

>your social circles are shit, which are a reflection of yourself
Stupid claim. If you live in the middle of bum fuck nowhere good luck finding farmers who want to discuss philosophy.

>He's never done psychedelics

You will never truly understand.

Psychedelics are for fucking retards, I have friend who's always talking about them and saying dumb uninteresting shit.

Have you ever actually tried them though? You can't accurately describe what a proper trip is like with words.

Shit ton of colors and weird illusions and imagery while intervening with the thought process.

They suck

The imagery is 10% of the experience. I can't speak for anyone else but for me on a full trip time becomes meaningless, music feels better than the best orgasm, and there's this wave of understanding and contentment with everything that rolls over me. It's amazing but not the sort of thing you want to do every week.

Yes ultimately it's meaningless, it's just messing with the chemicals in your brain but it's an incredible experience.

Like I said, it's meaningless. Doesn't mean it can't have positive real-world effects. After my first trip I quit videogames permanently, I just never had any interest in them again. There are a lot of people that use them to quit addictions like smoking, or to overcome depression.

I don't get it. Why is fooling around with controlled substances better than playing videogames or smoking?

You've just exchanged one bad behavior for another.

Why not go through life sober?

You would not want to trip regularly, it's too mentally exhausting. It's a very occasional thing that you can use to either have fun or improve yourself. It's not a bad behaviour unless you're doing it constantly which can fuck you up depending on the drug (particularly MDMA).

Remember LSD was widely used by scientists and top-flight academia to gain insight, until the war on drugs.

I've tried mushrooms twice. While the trips were novel and exciting, I just ended up being really sad afterwards for about a week or more each time. I don't really see myself doing them (or other hallucinogens) again.

My (perhaps unjustified) problem with these substances is that the people I've been exposed to who advocate the periodical use of psychedelics tend to be sanctimonious quacks who are not actually any more enlightened than they were before. I don't really believe these drugs are any more than just a way to pass time, i.e. for a few hours of "fun."

Freud did a lot of cocaine before the war on drugs but that doesn't mean it was a good idea.

I know it's not cool to listen to your parents or your teachers or the police but in this case they're right.

They aren't. The stereotypical parent/teacher perception of drugs is about as realistic as people who live in nogunz counties perception of guns.

Really whilst drugs are definitely not to be abused and may not be for everyone they do have some value.

>Typing out more than three instances of onomatopoeia in a row

You'll never get published, user

Yeah, I don't live in the city or suburbs. Closest bookstore almost exclusively sells YA, devotional books, and commercial lit.

>tfw the only bookstore within 25 miles of my house is a Walmart

I die a little inside everytime I see the Duck Dynasty Bible

I feel, brother.

I'm too inarticulate to possibly join any book club. I just tried to talk to my professor about my thesis, and I was so thick-tongued he just met my theory with a look of confusion.
I have no friends, just people who think I'm funny. So, parties are out of the question. I haven't even had someone want to hang out on my birthday.
I'm beginning to believe that it may be because I'm stupid.

Jesus, how many of you read just to feel better than others on this board? This is eye opening.

Books are actually interesting and do things to your brain, rewire your neurons, expand your imagination, and hopefully delight you in the process.

If you find the book boring, then stop reading it and chuck it in the bin (or donate, it w.e). It's not that hard. I've done that plenty of times. I've bought a book I was sure would be interesting to me only to realize 20% of the way through that the author was a bit of a hack or at least not saying anything new, so I threw it in the garbage. THATS HOW A MAN READS BOOKS. Don't trudge through shit just to feel intellectually superior. It is no measure of intelligence that you would spend a significant portion of your time engaged in an activity you find boring just to impress people.

The only qualm I have about reading is that my eyes begin to hurt after about two hours and stay that way. Comes with the territory though.

This is a prime example of a redditor. This is how you end up as a 25 year old who has only read the Martian and JRR Tolkien with no grounding in the classic tradition.

>Nobody actually enjoys reading the classics

Speak for yourself, faggot.

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

Did you just start talking to other people who read books today?

Elitists make up a good 85% of the actively reading population

>while intervening with the thought process
Confirmed for never having done psychs.

I am penpal with Qt Russian bookworm who unironically love s Putin. Feels nice man

Nope. I don't know anyone else in my small town that likes lit. It's lonely out here. The closest I got to meeting anyone else was this one guy that came by the store I worked at. He said his favorite author was Vonnegut, but he was an old science teacher and gigantic doucheberg that talked down to you with terrible breath through his yellow teeth and crusty mustache.

There's this new girl at work that I had heard liked to read, but I found out she only likes stuff like Harry Potter and Hunger Games. Should have known better than to get my hopes up.

There's nothing wrong with YA

I wish I could be part of a book club but I go to a stem school where nobody reads anything but asoiaf-tier shit. I wanna be able to discuss books with people, but the only way for me to really do that is to shitpost on here.

The plus side is that girls see it as interesting because they know 0 other people who read real books and I'm good at playing it off as very intriguing. I get drunk and ramble about books I like sometimes too. One of the only other people I know who reads, a qt who I introduced to The Recognitions, thought it would be hilarious to keep telling me Milton was a hack and Paradise Lost was garbage at a party and I got so pissed off that I swept a table full of drinks to the floor and nearly got in a fight with some frat guy.

>I wish I could be part of a book club but I go to a stem school where nobody reads anything but asoiaf-tier shit

Maybe you should start your own club and dictate what's gonna be read

My experience with literature is almost entirely solitary, barring he time I spend on Veeky Forums. I have a few friends but they don't read, and the one who does doesn't live nearby anymore so we have limited opportunities to discuss books. I'd like to find a way to meet women through my hobby but so far nothing's worked out. The local library only seems to attract old women and young children and the local used book store has been uninhabited every time I've entered. I don't know of any book clubs but I don't think I'd want to join one anyway; I prefer to be in control of what I read. Wish I wasn't such an asocial idiot in college and actually made an effort to meet people.

amen user

>When Milton writes
>>‘Him who disobeys me disobeys’
>he is, quite simply, doing wrong to his mother tongue. He meant
>>Who disobeys him, disobeys me.
>It is perfectly easy to understand WHY he did it, but his reasons prove that Shakespeare and several dozen other men were better poets. Milton did it because he was chock a block with Latin. He had studied his English not as a living language, but as something subject to theories.
>>Who disobeys him, disobeys me,
>doesn’t make good verse. The sound is better where the idiom is bad. When the writing is masterly one does NOT have to excuse it or to hunt up the reason for perpetrating the flaw.
>...
>Shakespeare was greatly indifferent. He was fanciful. He was a technical master. The gross and utter stupidity and obtuseness of Milton was never more apparent than in his supercilious reference to ‘Woodnotes wild’.

-- Ezra Pound, ABC of Reading

Nietzsche used lots of opioids and delirants, and he had lots if friends (even if he refused to meet them most of the time).