What should I read if I want to learn about the meta-epistemology of logic, particularly modal logic?

What should I read if I want to learn about the meta-epistemology of logic, particularly modal logic?

My ultimate interest is in the phenomenology of logical "necessity" (e.g., the phenomenology of a mathematical proof).

I find analytic philosophy really hard to understand. I can never tell when its seeming sterility (to me, compared to continental traditions) is self-conscious, intentional, and aimed at clarity, and when it reflects actual naivete with regard to the phenomenological complexity of some conscious act. Sometimes when they speak about truth, reference, concepts, etc., it seems to me that they are being almost bewilderingly naive about how ambiguous their statements are, despite the stolid presentation. So I really want to understand what the hell analytics think they're doing when they do logic.

Someone told me to check out Kripke. But I'm worried I'm going to have the experience I just described, yet again, where I can't tell whether he's bizarrely naive compared to continentals, or so non-naive that he sidesteps all their errors too subtly for me to understand and without explaining it.

I asked the same question some time ago, and a nice user brought Quine. Haven't read it yet, but what the user said gave me the impression that Quine is less ignorant than most american analytic fags.

Analytic grad student reporting in, which is to say a grad student in an analytic department who is nevertheless very critical of contemporary analytic methodology.

There is no epistemology involved in formal logic, including modal logic. I'm not sure what you mean by "meta-epistemology" or "the phenomenology of logical 'necessity,'" but those systems are purely formal and are best treated in purely formal ways. Their application to concrete phenomena in substantial argumentation is where epistemology enters the scene, and I will admit that your standard contemporary analytic will invoke modal notions and possible worlds without any hesitation or epistemological scruples or examination of their own methodology. The bulk of them are tinkerers, who want to apply their self-fashioned tools to their hyper-specific problems without worrying about the rigor, efficacy, and legitimacy of the broader practices.

>Sometimes when they speak about truth, reference, concepts, etc., it seems to me that they are being almost bewilderingly naive about how ambiguous their statements are, despite the stolid presentation.
This seems right to me. The interesting and meaty stuff is the stuff they presuppose in going about their technical business. They largely presuppose a formalized correspondence theory of truth, a monolithic relation of reference, and a Platonism about concepts (or, more usually, "propositions"). The interesting work is in those who try to critique, resist, or at least investigate the widespread adoption of these presuppositions (e.g., later Wittgenstein).

>Someone told me to check out Kripke.
Try out his Naming and Necessity, or David Lewis, who is a bit more thoughtful and self-aware (and I would recommend his work if you're dying to read a defense of using formal modal notions in metaphysics, e.g.). Leaning modal logic and possible worlds semantics will not help you figure out what analytics are up to when they make use of modal logic and possible worlds in their philosophizing. Generally speaking, they don't know what they are up to. The giants like Lewis knew what they were up to but constructed whole systems to ground it. The others -- the academic laborers -- just follow suit methodologically because that is how it is done.

Better yet, read Quine's criticisms of modal logic and the use of modal notions in analytic philosophy. Quine is a champ.

Heidegger's "the metaphysical foundations of logic" and "logic"

Hegel

modal logic don't real

>phenomenology of logical necessity
What? Do you even know what's phenomenology?

Thank God, so it's not just me.

>They largely presuppose a formalized correspondence theory of truth, a monolithic relation of reference, and a Platonism about concepts (or, more usually, "propositions"). The interesting work is in those who try to critique, resist, or at least investigate the widespread adoption of these presuppositions (e.g., later Wittgenstein).

That is exactly what it feels like. Thank you for giving me the insider perspective, and making me feel a little less like I'm crazy. It's easy enough to formulate my stance positively, from Heidegger or from late Wittgenstein like you said. But the feeling of craziness comes from not knowing the extent to these critiques are already known and bypassed.

I've interacted with Quine a bit so I'll pick him back up, and check out Lewis and Kripke. Thanks to everybody else as well for the responses.

What do you mean? Phenomenology of math, logic, proof, etc., isn't that uncommon. Husserl and Heidegger both wrote on the phenomenology of logic. Wittgenstein's "hardness of the logical must" is similar. A logical inference being somehow "necessary" is obviously phenomenal in content, so I'm interested in its constitution is all.

Modal logic is first of all a set of formal tools. I would not recommend trying to 'critique' it, internally or externally, until you actually do the work of learning how to use those formal tools. I know a few continental-leaning people who critique analytic logic this way and that, but I don't take them seriously for the simple reason that they don't know what they;re talking about. I mean this literally, not as some sort of insult – just know the basics of what you're talking about first.

Read Ted Sider's Logic for Philosophy if you want an introduction. Kripke's N&N is full of baseless appeals to intuition and will, if you have continental sympathies, probably just piss you off anyway. Learn the ropes instead.

can you explain why people should bother with modal logic?

the possible worlds thing puts me off

>Try out his Naming and Necessity

So yeah, OP, I would NOT recommend reading Naming and Necessity, at least not at first. It's a sloppy work, and less interesting than the framework of modal logic itself as a formal tool.

If you're interested in how modal logic is made use of to tackle empirical phenomena in modern linguistics, Paul Portner's textbook Modality is nice. It can give you a flavor for the sort of concrete problems the framework is used to address, and it has a little intro. to modal logic at the beginning, which will suffice if you're not into the math of it.

>tfw you have all the perfect resources to learn Logic but you'll never share them :^)

Asking why people should bother with modal logic is like asking why people should bother with calculus. It's a ubiquitous formal tool in modern research, and not to know it is not to be conversant with modern philosophy as a discipline. Whether you ultimately think it's nonsense or not worth doing is up to you, but again, it's a set of formal tools.

More to the point, you should not be asking 'should I critique modal logic?' and 'why should I learn modal logic' at the same time. If you want to criticize something, no one will take you seriously nor should they, unless you've put in the work to understand first. It's also not that hard, if you're already familiar with basic methods in first-order logic, which themselves can be learned pretty easily if you're not.

And again, if you're interested in its empirical applications, you should check out work on modality in linguistics.

Also, to make it clear, 'possible worlds' is just a technical term, and does not necessarily incline to metaphysical commitments. Most people aren't modal realists. The point of modal logic is just to be able to reason about alternatives in a certain space of possibilities, and quantify over them to make claims of possibility and necessity.

I seriously doubt that modal logic is a ubiquitous tool in modern research

If you want to do philosophy in an English-speaking country? Yes. I would consider it a form of professional illiteracy if you had no training in it. You'd have to be in an extremely continental department to get away with that.

Luckily those are the only ones that matter unless you're a computer scientist.

T H I S

>brainlet who failed algebra pretending to be an authority on what kind of philosophy *really* matters

lmaoing at your contingent existence

What does math have to do with this? I know math and continental philosophy. That's why I laugh at you: analytic philosophy is neither math nor philosophy. It's just nothing.

"cute"

Maths is safe space of coherence created by normies once they whine that what they call reality is not enough coherent to them.
Math is the step beyond the one done by normies with their little legal rules, justifying them from what they experience, by some rationality, common sense, necessity and other spooks like progress (and whine when they see that most people do not care about their little rules even if the first people manage to enforce them)
Then they get butthurt when some guy not spooked about all these spooks recall them that all these people is projecting lots of feelings and fantasies or just create other spooky formal languages after the same intention.
Of course, these normies create an idea of ''accuracy of my formal language with what I experience'' because deep down people know that their little inferences are just the result of their imagination, so they crave some spook called ''non-human objective third party '' which would make everybody agree on anything while shitting on empiricism, because ''my senses dupe me since the straw bends in water, but not in the air, thank ???? for giving the faculty of reason I can totally see the real reality now''.

>mathematicians
>normies