I've read like one or two books in my entire life. I'm want to start reading books but don't know where to start...

I've read like one or two books in my entire life. I'm want to start reading books but don't know where to start. I want to read the "best" authors if that makes sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I want to read the "best" authors if that makes sense.
It doesn't, actually. It's like saying "I want to eat best food" or "I want to dress in best clothing"

this is one of few books written by best authors most are only written by author

>I've read like one or two books in my entire life
Are you homeless? Seriously 2 books? That's not even possible, so what 2 books?
Also the best author is probably Sartre, but you have to learn French first

>so what 2 books?
The bible and Alice in Wonderland. My family never read books and I skipped reading books in school.

Well at least those are good
So what's your favourite?

>The bible and Alice in Wonderland
patrish

modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

Also Blooms Canon or the Harvard Classics series.

I loved Alice, and I read the bible several years ago so I don't recall the names very well, but it has tons of great passages, like the miracles and the non-believers and the ground swallows them up. Book of proverbs, etc.

Ok so maybe you should try something in between like Chretien de Troyes who still got that magical adventure vibe

Finnegans Wake is a lot like Alice.

This seems to be the one use for this image.

no you don't. you'll be bored and won't 'get it' because a lot of art is made as a conversation between artists

read something short, at your reading level, and in your interests. what movies/shows/music/hobbies do you like? you can work it out from there

Fuck we've got a real patrician in here. Maybe don't read anything else so that you can keep your record perfect.

I'm curious. What compelled you to read these two if you haven't been so much of a reader?

based
keep posting here, your perspective on books will be unique

start with kafka, the metamorphosis

literally take every single british author off of that shitty list and it makes it passable. fuck i'm starting to get so triggered by all the fucking fugly whiny stupid pimpled snaggletoothed british teens on this website.

I take it that english is not your native language, if that is the case, completely disregard any anglo literature right from the beginning

This is the list for you, OP

Disregard all this, read continental lit, German and Russian preferably

The Bible? I was curious to see if it was true or not, seems to be if you ask me. Can't fake prophecies. I read Alice when I was a kid and I've re-read it a few times. Lately I've felt like I don't know much and I thought about how many movies I've seen compared to how few books I've read. I've spent the whole day bookmarking famous authors. I've already bought several books by Charles Dickens. I figured he's famous and it seems like they would be a good start as any. They'll be here by next week.
If it's great I'm going to read it. The only authors I know right now are: Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Brothers Grimm, Goethe Very limited. Even when I recognize the names I don't know what they're famous for because I haven't read anything.

START

start with "brave new world" by huxley
it speaks really close to our current situation

I'd honestly start with genre fiction so you actually know how to read

>Readers list
>Top 10 include 4 by Ayn Rand, 3 by l Ron hubbard, Lotr, 1984, and to kill a mockingbird
I vomited, a little

>The Bible? I was curious to see if it was true or not, seems to be if you ask me. Can't fake prophecies.
what a compelling argument

Yes. It is.

>lotr, 1984 and mockingbird are bad
This board is 18+. You should leave or at least go back to /mu/.

>didn't read the sticky

>literally take every single british and american author off of that shitty list
There, now the list is good

>this guy has read 2 books on his entire life
>let's recommend him 12th century arthurian stuff

good lord

LotR is good but by no means one of the top 10 books ever, Harper Lee is just a meme on the US, no one else reads her and TKaM is only this well regarded because it's one of the few "deep" books most people in the US will read in their lifetimes.

The same goes for Orwell and Huxley btw, whose best works are completely ignored.

I couldn't believe that reader's list either user

>The bible and Alice in Wonderland

k. so what would your list be?

Start with something easy and mentally engaging. I think Brave New World is a good start.

My list of what, 100 favourite books? Do you seriously want me to list them? Cause it might take a while, but I can.

Stop memeing, you'll confuse OP.

Maybe he wants some genre fiction. Do you like fantasy/sci fi OP? Or do you prefer some drama like The Miserables?

If you don't feel like writing out all 100 you don't have to, but I'm always interested in seeing a new list.

It's so obviously been raided you should feel ashamed for owning that pepe.

>required high school reading + things that high schoolers read

It's not that I don't feel like it, it's just that I'm not used to ranking things, and since 100 books are probably a fifth of what I read since I was 15, so i'd have to sit down and think a lot.

Best I can do on the go is my top 15 for novels, sort of in order but not really anyway:
fiction
Mason & Dixon by the Pyncher
Life: A User's Manual by Georges Perec
VALIS by PKD
Lavoura Arcaia by Raduan Nassar (forgot the translation's name but check this shit, Penguin put his two books out last year I believe)
Hunger by Knut Hamsun
The Oedipus plays by Sophocles
Journey to the End of Night by Celine
Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo
Ulysses by the Fartman
Q by Luther Blissett
To Pay the Devil in the Backlands by GuimarĂ£es Rosa
Barren Lives by Graciliano Ramos
Don Quijote by Cervantes
The Sailor who Fell From Grace with the Sea (is that the english name? Sorry if it isn't) by Yukio Mishima
As I Lay Dying by Faulkner

Thanks, pal.

I'm new to Veeky Forums, why is there no Hemingway on the starter kit?

Translations are very easy to read, that's like basic stuff, didn't except him to read old French, he read the bible so...
But now I'm worried he'll believe in Arthurian mythology

People recommend randomly and only according to their taste. All charts are biased and there is no way to tell how many agree on what.

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

I was like you a year ago before I came to Veeky Forums, so far I've read:

>Do androids dream of electric sheep
>1984
>A clockwork orange
>Brave new world
>The stranger
>The Elementary particles
>Of mice and men

currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo

>The stranger
Remove that and you are good.

to be honest, I've ever only read an archaic portuguese / galician arthurian death book and a absolute shit translation of Cretien, so I'm a bit biased

ur welcome m8